Soundtrack - Northern Soul The Film

That bit confuses me a bit. 4 more tracks to be used for what? I understand soundtrack is finalized. Are there any possible late changes to the track listings?

Hi Benji, on the info that went to Amazon for the CD track-listing, for CD2 it says "Plus more tracks to be confirmed shortly) but they didn't see fit to include that on the page Grrrrr......

It had to go up on Amazon before the track-listing was completely finalized due to pressure from the Sales and Marketing boys, as they are obsessed with getting projects up there as soon as possible! Apologies for the confusion (one reason why I HATE putting anything up there before it's ready).

Ian D :) 

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

:( Looks like the soundtrack release date has been pushed back to the 18th of August. 

Still speculative mate. The soundtrack will be out 4 weeks before the film's due so even that date's a guesstimate. We're hoping for an announcement of the film's release date from Universal imminently.

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As a commercial ventures I guess it don't matter too much what you think on these forums.. The film will be judged on its world wide appeal and not what the hardcore think.. The soundtrack too ls for joe public as well, you could never please all on the soul forums as we have such wide ranging views on everything... An above post talking about " the crow" is a good example.. For some ( me included) it's raw soul that makes my eyes sparkle and feet moving every time, for others it's " that funky shit", ha ha..... I remember the thoughts and private comments that Russ WINSTANLEY said to a person on hearing a soul soundtrack to a short film some years back, the song in question was Emmet Long " call me".. Russ thought it " not soul " or " not northern soul ", I would say it's got more soul in it than than his choice, many of them I would break into very small pieces with a hammer.........Is there any place to hide from film talk, I would like a 1st class ticket there and will return in a few years after the storm as past...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Winstanley's playlist was 80% pop music, i doubt he appeciates real soul music, i can't believe people actually attend events where he is guesting, i go out of my way not to attend where he's playing. The gulf in class between him and Searling was embarrassing at Wigan, i couldn't wait for him to finish his spot and let Searling loose.

Like it or not, RW has, and continues to make a good living from guesting not just up and down the country, but abroad.  My cousin lives in Malta and he recently did a spot out there.  Luckily it was RS and not RW who consulted on the film.

Social source share

I know he does, i hate any NS documentary where RW is behind it, same old patter about Frank Wilson which he never even owned, documentarys where Searling is involved are different class, the handbaggers hero is RW and his distorted view of the NS scene.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming, it's coming, it's coming.....

This will actually outdo Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" for an extended waiting period LOL. CD2 is 98% completed and contains several songs with haven't been legally comped before. Elaine is holding out for the final track for CD2, which we're praying will be cleared shortly. We think this CD release will reflect Northern Soul in the correct way. CD1 (the actual soundtrack) is completed and it's certainly sparking the right kind of vibe around people who didn't know what Northern Soul is, but now get it totally.

Superior film and superior music. I feel blessed to be involved and it couldn't be for a better project than this.

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sounds very promising. Bring it on...

It is. I'm very excited. We're doing a 14 x 7" vinyl set from the Soundtrack. The 7" photo sleeves and the accompanying hardbound book of Elaine's photography throughout the making of the film are simply breath-taking. 

The way I look at it is, if the mainstream media ever needed a fail-safe lesson in the understanding of Northern Soul from people who are qualified for the job, then here it is. Look no further. This is the real deal. 

Finalized track-listing for CD2 next week!

Might be some other good news coming through shortly too. Exciting times!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i would rather piss over my gran's grave than buy this.Northern soul b*llocks more like.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

i would rather piss over my gran's grave than buy this.Northern soul b*llocks more like.

Might actually be more to it than meets the eye. I, and plenty of others, enjoyed Soulboy, warts an' all. The play, Once Upon A Time In Wigan, was brilliant also with just one regret, I saw it at Greenwich and Hammersmith but not in Manchester. This movie and soundtrack has the potential to be better than anything that has gone before it. Sure, there is a daft side to the crazy world of Northern Soul but this could be the real deal.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Wont make any difference to me just fail to see the point in the whole venture . As for Elaine has put a lot into it big deal nobody asked for it , the one show was bad enough its only going to get dafter .

Those that are enthusiastic about the film have a good think about why you got into the scene in the first place .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Good to see that the ultimate party dance northern soul mix DJ has followed the "In Emergency Break Glass; play 'Cause Your Mine" code........ Pete Smith should write a Northern Soul 101 book! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I got on the scene for the music, first and foremost. When I started deejaying I wanted to play the music to as many people as possible in order to spread it and I still feel pretty much the same way now. Why wouldn't you want people to maybe discover this music for the first time? I WANT people to hear these tracks and come rushing over to ask what the record is, as happened several times last week in the office. I'm pretty sure the likes of Gino Washington, Joshie Armstead, William Bell and numerous other veterans featured on the soundtrack are over the moon that these songs will be given a new lease of life and hopefully reach a wider international audience then was even remotely possible some 45 or 50 years ago.

So I don't really understand what you're saying? The film would not have been made and the soundtrack would not have been meticulously compiled if Elaine didn't understand the scene. 

Maybe you want Northern Soul to go the same way as dry-stone walling? Not me. I get a buzz when I see young people getting off on this music in exactly the same way as they've always done since the mid 60's. Who are we to deny them?

Ian D :D  

I don't really think that the film is going to bring that many new people to the scene its an esoteric subject . I would,nt deny anyone the chance to hear the music let them find it themselves like we did .  The film has a scene in it where someone sticks the nut on a presenter for getting it wrong yet the promoters willingly allow the One show and other media to misrepresent the scene to such an excruciatingly embarrassing extent .

I,m 58 this year more get ups behind me than in front and to be truthfull don't care about the future of the scene , but I do care about how it is perceived and worry that to satisfy commercial interests it is in danger of becoming the very thing we were trying to escape from .

Any way as you are involved your view does,,nt count :lol:  :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The film producers don't have any control over the mainstream media Mark - the producers of the individual shows call the shots. I think the hope is that the film will give a much more realistic portrayal of the times and hopefully reach a wider audience in the process.

As I've said many times before, it'll take a lot more than a film and soundtrack CD to destroy a scene that's lasted for 45 years. And also, as I've said before, the low point of the scene was Wigan's Ovation on Top Of The Pops in the mid 70's. Believe me, that was 100 times worse then anything we can do these days! The shame of years and years of explaining to people that the scene wasn't about dodgy third-rate pop groups was awful..... 

And yes, I am biased. But I wouldn't have pitched for the soundtrack if I wasn't into what Elaine was attempting. 

I'm 59.....  :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I know he does, i hate any NS documentary where RW is behind it, same old patter about Frank Wilson which he never even owned, documentarys where Searling is involved are different class, the handbaggers hero is RW and his distorted view of the NS scene.

He was first to play it though, at least give him that.  As it's my favourite period, I always remember Russ's spots from 76-77 and I can honestly say, they were not far off Richard's especially for getting the night started.  78 onwards, I agree with other comments

Social source share

When is this blo*dy film coming out, seriously, I'm sick of waiting.

We went to the filming on the same day Mo Farrah won his gold medal (we caught that in a pub on way home that evening thats how I remember), jeez nearly on to next Olympics Games by now.

When's it coming out?

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

Guest Byrney

The film producers don't have any control over the mainstream media Mark - the producers of the individual shows call the shots. I think the hope is that the film will give a much more realistic portrayal of the times and hopefully reach a wider audience in the process.

As I've said many times before, it'll take a lot more than a film and soundtrack CD to destroy a scene that's lasted for 45 years. And also, as I've said before, the low point of the scene was Wigan's Ovation on Top Of The Pops in the mid 70's. Believe me, that was 100 times worse then anything we can do these days! The shame of years and years of explaining to people that the scene wasn't about dodgy third-rate pop groups was awful..... 

And yes, I am biased. But I wouldn't have pitched for the soundtrack if I wasn't into what Elaine was attempting. 

I'm 59.....  :lol:

I'm personally looking forward to the film, I'm expecting a realistic representation from someone who's done more than her fair share of nighters and trust me knows the craic more than most out there. I want to see this done proper so who better than one of us.

But this idea that we all got into an underground scene doesn't stand up post mid 70s. It was everywhere in my neck of the woods, Top of the Pops with Wayne Gibson, Wigans Ovation, Weak Spot, Footsie etc; every youth club played Northern, local discos had Northern half hours and our common room would always have someone practicing swallow dives ( and wiping out desks). In Nottingham you were either a Souler, punk or grebo. Later a jazz funker or Mod ( and then thank God a casual) :) The only time it came close to being underground post Mids 70s was the 80s when most decided it wasn't for them.

With or without this film the Nostalgia scene has f£:ked it up for us, but that was perpetrated by promoters who spotted a nice little earner and punters who wanted to recreate or relive a couple of years past. The media got onto this, it's good viewing watching 'strange old people' in iffy clobber dancing strangely. So a film, beautifully shot with fine young things dancing, along with a bit of drama will do no harm whatsoever.

When it shows they're be a right mob of us lot out, it will also end up as one hell of a party.

Social source share

Look you all wanted something portraying the scene as it really is or was, and now someone who was / is involved in it is making the film, and with people like Ian above and Paul Sadot involved, this is THE big chance for all past injusticies to be put right, so come on, have a bit of faith in the people behind the film.

I never wanted anyone to portray the scene as it is I just want them all to leave it alone the attention was never wanted or needed in the first place .

Social source share

I'm in two minds about this.

Looking forward to seeing the film and quite enjoyed Soul Boy as entertainment.

However the "navel-gazing" doesn't appeal. Im not that interested in what I was doing in 1973 never mind what Ian was doing.

To those involved with the film don't get despondent about "criticism" . I remember watching "Anzio" with my dad. He never stopped moaning.

ROD

Social source share

Blimey some pretty harsh words for a film that hasn't actually come out yet...  come on boys, and Landy Bug especially, get a bit of perspective... and respect, the makers of the film surely look at this thread, very down heartening to see comments like the above on an artistic endeavor they have put their Heart and soul into, you try to interpret something as complex as 'Northern soul' in any medium; writing negative comments is about the lowest.

If you see the film and dont like it, well write a review and we can debate that, but dont judge it till you have seen it.. As for the music, I think were all agreed the selection cant be faulted, not one single dog, in fact every track is a serious Northern soul track, except of course the Artistic's version of 'Chase is on' is far superior to Johnny Howard.. and I know I'm not alone on that one either.. :D

Malcolm

I prefer the Johnny Howard version myself, but like The Artistics too. Talking of The Artistics ,Hope we have is a great track.

Looking forward to The Film, I am sure it will show the scene as we remember it in the 70s.

Thought Paul Masons doc for the Culture show was refreshing but the One Show not so, but still better than the cringe fest on the Paul OGrady show a few years ago.

Social source share

You care about how the scene is perceived? Where have you been living for the last 15 years Mark, in a cave in the Himalayas?On an island in the Pacific? "Northern soul"'s reputation was dragged along the gutter years ago, and continues to be done so every single day. Just search it in ebay. A chance of "preserving how it is perceived?"….well that train left the station years ago and weeds have grown over the trackbed it's so outdated a view. We got into it because it was different from the mainstream…..is that what you are saying? Honestly these days I've got more in common with my next door neighbour than I have with some of the wallies I see out and about on me travels…..not all of course.

As to The One Show - the director of the One Show is the guy who has editorial control over how the One Show is presented, not one of the guests ffs. Have a word with yourself man, it's a film, about a moment in time in the mid 1970s and a couple of lads growing up who discover northern soul. It is not meant to be a timepiece for the History Channel or an investigation for a House of Commons select committee. And as for promotion, what are the films producers supposed to do? They need to get maximum publicity to try and recoup the costs……It's really disappointing to read this type of outdated drivel in this day and age……and you're not even 60 yet :lol: Victor Meldrew world goodbye…...real world hello….. 

The Himalayan cave scene is very healthy and a true cool underground  scene :wink: I know that the scenes reputation has been dragged down since the mid seventies and I don't think that any amount of trying to repair it is going to help . The film could be the most accurate account of the scene perfect in every detail but it will only appeal to those with an interest in Northern Soul , the point I was trying to make was what comes in the wake of the film and used the One show as an example you have to admit that was dire and I bet there is worse to come .

Sorry to have disappointed you with my outdated drivel :wink:  as Victor would say " I don't believe it " :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Then why glorify drug taking in a book like Northern Soul: An Illustrated History? I hope the movie isn't tainted by constant references to drug abuse...

I didn't read it as glorifying drug abuse, but a very real attribute of the scene with a deserved inclusion in the book. I can't see how you could avoid a reference to amphetamine use in the film and to do so would sanitise the scene. I dunno, It may have been different early 70s but from when I got into it late 70s, especially in the early 80s Phet was rife, most I know were bang at it regardless of how many try and rewrite history. 

Social source share

I am still looking forward to seeing the film, though I must admit to being very disappointed with the " head butting" scene. I really can't see why that was necessary.

The soundtrack is just one of those things that goes with the territory, and I hope it sells well. 

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I am still looking forward to seeing the film, though I must admit to being very disappointed with the " head butting" scene. I really can't see why that was necessary.

The soundtrack is just one of those things that goes with the territory, and I hope it sells well. 

If it's the scene where the lad nuts the TV presenter I understand that's not actually in the film but was a scene created to get investors, sponsors, distributors and others interest and involvement. 

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Sure, the scene was characterised by drug taking but the book gives this aspect a disproportionate amount of coverage compared to other facets of Northern Soul. For the most part, drug abuse was not too overt so hopefully the film will not give it too prominent coverage. For me, the music was the drug, and for plenty of others who attended unassisted - hopefully, the euphoria will shine through and the movie-goers can figure out the dancers' motivation.

Hear, hear.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tracklisting looks about right to me for the time & a nice touch to have a personal choice of tunes to give a feeling of the people involved in the making of the film.

Spoke to Elaine at Cleethorpes & asked her when the film would be out & she said around September?

(Not read all the posts so sorry if this is old news)
Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Sure, the scene was characterised by drug taking but the book gives this aspect a disproportionate amount of coverage compared to other facets of Northern Soul. For the most part, drug abuse was not too overt so hopefully the film will not give it too prominent coverage. For me, the music was the drug, and for plenty of others who attended unassisted - hopefully, the euphoria will shine through and the movie-goers can figure out the dancers' motivation.

It's definitely finding that balance in the film and I'd love to see that euphoria we all get portrayed and I'm sure it will be, but many who had certain appetites I'd suggest loved the music just as much as you with music their drug with Phet as an add on. In my view for a true, dramatic representation I'd be surprised if there wasn't drug references throughout. Because for many ( the majority?) that's how it was. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!