Notts Pally Allniters

Reading in another thread - Best KnIcked Car - and to my surprise there's stories about Nottingham Pally Allniters.

I have lived in Nottingham all my life and during 76-77-78 I went to St Ives - Wakefields - KGB - Wigan - Baileys - Cleethorpes - Loughborough etc etc. In Nottingham I can only remember a couple off niters at the Brit and there was a club called Tiffanys on the side of Victoria Center that had a couple. I have never heard of a Pally Niter so what year were they.

I went to loads of the Pally alldayers even a all Motown Pally alldayer 

Different story - At the Pally alldayers there was a DJ called Hector. Please tell me hes quit 

Social source share

Reading in another thread - Best KnIcked Car - and to my surprise there's stories about Nottingham Pally Allniters.

I have lived in Nottingham all my life and during 76-77-78 I went to St Ives - Wakefields - KGB - Wigan - Baileys - Cleethorpes - Loughborough etc etc. In Nottingham I can only remember a couple off niters at the Brit and there was a club called Tiffanys on the side of Victoria Center that had a couple. I have never heard of a Pally Niter so what year were they.

I went to loads of the Pally alldayers even a all Motown Pally alldayer 

Different story - At the Pally alldayers there was a DJ called Hector. Please tell me hes quit 

Bit vague, 84-86 maybe?

I enjoyed em.

Pete used to dj at em.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Hector from Selecta .Mick he used to work in Selecta-disc in Derby , then RE-Cords in Derby . He went top live down in London but has since come back home and is in bad condition .He freak out so to speak regarding his musical taste . Never did the Pali , after my time I'm afraid.

Tony

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I think there were a couple of nighters around 1980, then some mid and late 80s. I also went to a couple at Nottingham Tiffany's in 81 I think.

Social source share

Hector from Selecta .Mick he used to work in Selecta-disc in Derby , then RE-Cords in Derby . He went top live down in London but has since come back home and is in bad condition .He freak out so to speak regarding his musical taste . Never did the Pali , after my time I'm afraid.

Tony

Didn't  know he was back,Mak.Used to dj at the do above the RR showroom,Derby.? 

I went  to a niter,sure it was a Friday,because i caught the 61 back to Kirkby straight from there to work.Happy to be corrected,but i'm sure it was the Palais.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Went to a Niter at Notts Palais in 1980, it was a Bank Hol Sunday - remember it well as we did St Ives Dayer first and Peterborough Dayer the next Day (followed by Derby Assembly Rooms the following Friday - mad days!!)

Early 80s - remember going there for another Niter with Soul Sam & Arthur Fenn both in Hawaiian shirts and they were really pushing the Modern stuff at the time, Roy Dawson was spun c/u as James Mack & The Chicago Gangsters!

Sean Gibbons ran a couple a couple of years later - the Black Echoes ad described it as the best Niter in the South to which Ady Croasdell replied "if Nottingham is in the south we'll have flying pigs at the 100 Club..."

Mark C :thumbsup:

Edited by professorturnups
Social source share

There were nighters at the Palais in the 70s. The first I went to was my first nighter, summer 1975. A group of lads from Mansfield hung around the bowling Alley, I don't think it opened until after 2 when the regular disco punters were evacuated. Can't be sure of times though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hmmm.. I went from 79-81 and can't remember all-niters - dayers were always 2 till 10 from what I can remember (which is not much).

I bet they were great though, it was a fantastic venue - a world of total soul, I had the bestest times there.

Social source share

I can't recall them at the Palais in the mid 70s but I suppose it depends what they clashed with as we would have always rather travelled than stay around home. Remember Hector and I've see on fb that he'd returned. Remember the Intercon too in the 70s playing northern- that's what became Tiffanys later isn't it? At the front of Vic Centre. Intercon wasn't allnighters then only a Tuesday night soul do though

Sharon x

Social source share

As has been said there were niters at the Palais in the early 80's. Sam, Arthur, Dave Raistrick - Rob Smith as well I think. There were some a few years which were the same time as Notts Odd Fellows - I remember doing Odd Fellows niter on the Friday night - then to some mates flat in notts for the day and then the Palais niter on the Saturday. I remember not fairing too well due to the medication. :wicked:

It turned into a four day disaster involving a dodgy minibus - a tale I shall retell on here at some point.

Nice

:elvis:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Backdrop

Went to notts pally all niters. .. Around 75/76/77

Its was always a big thing for the Mansfield crowd.. St ives and samanthas were the other main events in that time..

Social source share

Got to be quick - cooking dinner!

Notts Palais all nighters definitely happened in 1975 (August/September?) as I remember going straight from the Palais to a job interview on a Saturday straight from one. I think the East Midland soul Club (Rob Smith and some others involved in that...).

"Smoke stream" Brothers and Sisters (?) on Nasco big at the first one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest southpaw

As has been said there were niters at the Palais in the early 80's. Sam, Arthur, Dave Raistrick - Rob Smith as well I think. There were some a few years which were the same time as Notts Odd Fellows - I remember doing Odd Fellows niter on the Friday night - then to some mates flat in notts for the day and then the Palais niter on the Saturday. I remember not fairing too well due to the medication. :wicked:

It turned into a four day disaster involving a dodgy minibus - a tale I shall retell on here at some point.

Nice

:D  :D  :D

Social source share

Peter99, on 17 May 2014 - 3:47 PM, said:

Nice

Hi Alan

I saw you looking at the thread. You were one of the lads with us that weekend.

Hope yer well mate.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

:D  :D  :D

Ay up mate.

I just replied to your like. You were with us that weekend - were you in the minibus back from Leics? it was pissing it down and we ran out of petrol on the Clifton Bridge/fly over. We sent one of the girls to the petrol station. LOL

:lol:  :thumbup:  :lol:

Peter

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Hi Alan

I saw you looking at the thread. You were one of the lads with us that weekend.

Hope yer well mate.

Peter

I was smiling to myself Pete, crazy but great times, yes I'm good mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Ay up mate.

I just replied to your like. You were with us that weekend - were you in the minibus back from Leics? it was pissing it down and we ran out of petrol on the Clifton Bridge/fly over. We sent one of the girls to the petrol station. LOL

:lol:  :thumbup:  :lol:

Peter

Think that minibus might of been the start of my paranoia episodes :-)  that or a mini crashing into a police car coming out of Cleethorpes winter gardens :-)

Social source share

Have a vague recollection of niters mid seventies and early eighties. The late seventies all dayers were the business though, with the best line up at the time, Sam, Richard, John Poole, Gary Rushbrooke, Rob SmithChris Fletcher. Sure I've missed someone out but quality all day.

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Have a vague recollection of niters mid seventies and early eighties. The late seventies all dayers were the business though, with the best line up at the time, Sam, Richard, John Poole, Gary Rushbrooke, Rob SmithChris Fletcher. Sure I've missed someone out but quality all day.

I was only a young snapper back then but didn't Jonathan and Nev Werry do a few spots too? Chris king did the late 70s Dayers for sure.

Social source share

southpaw, on 17 May 2014 - 8:24 PM, said:

Think that minibus might of been the start of my paranoia episodes :-)  that or a mini crashing into a police car coming out of Cleethorpes winter gardens :-)

:sweatingbullets:  :(  :hypo:

PMSL

Best days of my life mate.

Social source share

I went to the Palais with Skeeny & big Denny a few times. Last i heard of Skeeny he lived in the States but now resides up in the North East (Newcastle?)

I've heard Skeeny has not very well . Not sure to what extent..

Social source share

Notts palais nighters ran from 82' until 85' i think chris king was the promoter.

I remember hearing paradox " ring the changes" for the first time downstairs in the bali room spun by steve phillis,

Just about knocked my socks off. Main hall main man was steve whittle.....different class.

Dazz

Social source share

I was only a young snapper back then but didn't Jonathan and Nev Werry do a few spots too? Chris king did the late 70s Dayers for sure.

Hazy but thought Johnathan did the nighters earlier. He's on here so hopefully he will confirm either way. Can't recall Chris King doing them until the eighties. To be honest I didn't think he had the records at that time and that's based on djing with him at the events he ran with Terry Samson and other venue etcetera. Think you are right about Nev though, and maybe Arthur Fenn was there as well, he certainly did have the records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Notts palais nighters ran from 82' until 85' i think chris king was the promoter.

I remember hearing paradox " ring the changes" for the first time downstairs in the bali room spun by steve phillis,

Just about knocked my socks off. Main hall main man was steve whittle.....different class.

Dazz

Social source share

Thanks for your replies 

Im gonna assume that there were a few allniters in the mid 70s that I missed

As for the 80s my Mrs was dropping kids everywhere so my soul days were numbed for 20 years

Fond memories of the Pally and can remember queuing right down the road round the back and up the other side 

Rich B    -   Look forward to your chat (its been a while) Hector obviously did a good job or they wouldn't of used him

and he keept the floor going but what he played was way of my level and didn't seem to soulful to me, But we all have

our opinions. 

I had the pleasure to be the last NS DJ to do the Notts Pally finishing off with Andria Henry as Jonah the promoter had order me to carry on at the end

and got me a huge bollocking of the pally staff-

Nearly lost that title when we had the Little Anthony saga that dint happen

Mick

post-9619-0-02608500-1400409807.jpg

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

I went to a few nighters at the palais prob between 74 / 76 time had to get there early as the que  was massive to get in also my first experience of northern soul on a massive scale was at a palais alldayer 74 ... atb mick.,

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I went to a few nighters at the palais prob between 74 / 76 time had to get there early as the que  was massive to get in also my first experience of northern soul on a massive scale was at a palais alldayer 74 ... atb mick.,

Tommo, I'm sure I remember you and I going to an early session in the Bali hai and when they kicked everyone one out to queue for the nighter we hid behind some screens then when it filled up sneaked in to the crowd without paying ;)

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Tommo, I'm sure I remember you and I going to an early session in the Bali hai and when they kicked everyone one out to queue for the nighter we hid behind some screens then when it filled up sneaked in to the crowd without paying ;)

Typical Nottingham lads :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soulovereasy

ooh not sure about that but I did spend most of my time in the bali ai byrney? ...

Social source share

Guest Byrney

ooh not sure about that but I did spend most of my time in the bali ai byrney? ...

Thought it was you mate, need to rack my addled brain some more. It was some fellow scally that's why you came to mind :D

It was in that cafe / pool table bit just outside the Bali hai before you went up the back steps into main room.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Hi Mick

the nighters your on about at the palais were 79-80 with d.j's Richard searling Soul sam, Dave raistrick, John poole, GaryRush brooke , Arthur fenn & Rob smith and I think Johnathan woodliffe main room bali haii was Chris fletcher , lee voles, Gary rushbrooke , Dave evison & a couple more I cant remember ,will have to dig copy of chris;s old sou lsource mag out . they ran from 1pm till 8am The first one was a bank holiday sunday as they ran a coach to St Ives alldayer prior to the nighter. the nighters in the mid 80's  84 to 86 were  originally an of spring from my sucssesful Saturday nite soul nights,i had guest like keb & guy on sean gibbons got wind of the potential for a nighter and move in on the condition I continued to run down stairs  with the guest being keb , guy and ady crosdall on one occasion . main hall d.j's were mainly Morecombe d.j's sean gibbons ,marc Farley ,dave evison , brian rae, chris king . along with keb guy, & rob smith guesting  great times mick  hope that clears it up  often heard of niters in early 70's at the palias from rich broughton & stigger but never went

regards steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Steve, pretty sure Chris King ran a few straight after Stafford closed. This makes them '86/87? Can remember talking to Marc Farley at one of them so that ties in with your recollections. May have been joint venture? We were in Bali Hai before going upstairs when nightclub emptied. I did the first couple and was on early doors. Seem to recall the ones in '79/'80 were all Bank Holiday Sunday nights. Got some tape listings and dates from those - As you say - Richard, Sam, Gary, Arthur ,Dave Raistrick - some quality music at these Nighters.

Edited by Robin S
Social source share

the nighters in the mid 80's  84 to 86 were  originally an of spring from my sucssesful Saturday nite soul nights,i had guest like keb & guy on sean gibbons got wind of the potential for a nighter and move in on the condition I continued to run down stairs

I'm sure I went to these. Didn't you used to play Sam Dees - Lonely with the treble turned down and the bass turned up to 11?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!