Monopoly On Clubs?

Guest bury masonic

Guest bury masonic

we have been looking for a large venue to hold a joint 60th & 65th BIRTHDAY party, one of who happens to be a dj, & both have been on the scene for years. Anyway, we live in Manchester, & the chap in Shrewsbury, so we needed somewhere about halfway & large enough to hold approx.350 people. We came across THE BOX in crewe, where we have never been to, & it looked ideal, so I spoke to the owner & arranged to view it.Then last night I had the misfortune to receive a call from a DJ/PROMOTER who runs soul nights at this club. He was extremely obnoxious,& wanted to know why we didnt find a club nearer us, & who was dj ing, only him & his cronies dj there! now pardon me for thinking otherwise, but we didnt know djs has exclusive access to venues, we used to run our own venue & didnt mind when a friend of ours wanted to put a night on there! he then said he would speak to the club owner & threatened to "walk"! we tried to wxplain it was a one off night for a BIRTHDAY party, but he wasnt interested & became quite abusive as i did I have to admit,I can give as good as I get & wasnt going to be intimidated by such a baby! we then received a text from the club owner who said he ,d had a visit from this guy, & he declined our booking! he was very apologetic,& we dont blame him at all, but it was also to be a fund raiser for cancer charities which is clos to all our hearts, so now we are back to square one thanks to the very chiodish antics of thiis dj!

Social source share

Seems out of order for what is a private party.  Or am I missing something?  Surprised the club owner didn't tell the promoter to do one, although I imagine this guy threatened to throw his toys out of the pram and take his business elsewhere.  How did the promoter find out?

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

sad when this happens, have a look at Whitchurch civic centre, just been refurbished and will more than 350 people. the venue is no stranger to northern soul all dayers nighters on &off since early 70's.

best of luck

Garry

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Seems out of order for what is a private party.  Or am I missing something?  Surprised the club owner didn't tell the promoter to do one, although I imagine this guy threatened to throw his toys out of the pram and take his business elsewhere.  How did the promoter find out?

we left our name & no with member of staff, butyou are not missing anything!plain & simple he told me only he & his cronies dj there & we should have asked him first! I beg to differ, its a Birthday party not a soul night, we have no intention of trying to pinch his venue! he should just grow up! thanks for replying, SHEILA
Social source share

Believe me, I get it regular.......... For playing club classics/Motown etc , whilst working for a function band!

If a wedding or the like requires a DJ, we get another drummer, so I can spin some dance floor classics as part of the 'package'

many times I've been questioned regarding this, it's like a bloody party band is gonna take over the soul scene? 

I feel your pain mate, I really do 

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

sad when this happens, have a look at Whitchurch civic centre, just been refurbished and will more than 350 people. the venue is no stranger to northern soul all dayers nighters on &off since early 70's.

best of luck

Garry

Thanks Garry, too many 'babies" on the scene if you ask me!
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Thanks Garry, too many 'babies" on the scene if you ask me!

Totaly agree, Could understand if it was just another soul nite but a charity birthday bash, Beats me !!

Social source share

we have been looking for a large venue to hold a joint 60th & 65th BIRTHDAY party, one of who happens to be a dj, & both have been on the scene for years. Anyway, we live in Manchester, & the chap in Shrewsbury, so we needed somewhere about halfway & large enough to hold approx.350 people. We came across THE BOX in crewe, where we have never been to, & it looked ideal, so I spoke to the owner & arranged to view it.Then last night I had the misfortune to receive a call from a DJ/PROMOTER who runs soul nights at this club. He was extremely obnoxious,& wanted to know why we didnt find a club nearer us, & who was dj ing, only him & his cronies dj there! now pardon me for thinking otherwise, but we didnt know djs has exclusive access to venues, we used to run our own venue & didnt mind when a friend of ours wanted to put a night on there! he then said he would speak to the club owner & threatened to "walk"! we tried to wxplain it was a one off night for a BIRTHDAY party, but he wasnt interested & became quite abusive as i did I have to admit,I can give as good as I get & wasnt going to be intimidated by such a baby! we then received a text from the club owner who said he ,d had a visit from this guy, & he declined our booking! he was very apologetic,& we dont blame him at all, but it was also to be a fund raiser for cancer charities which is clos to all our hearts, so now we are back to square one thanks to the very chiodish antics of thiis dj!

The best of it really is said promoter is not from Crewe and needs to fooook off back to where he came from.

There is another venue 10 mins walk from the Box that's big enough for 350 and has a fantastic dance floor. Pm me if you need details.

Brav

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Whilst I don't know the full details I have been to The Box several times and other venues operated by the promoters

One thing is certain they are not in it for the profit and they are passionate about the venues they run and are out n about as punters every weekend

Fred

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Whilst I don't know the full details I have been to The Box several times and other venues operated by the promoters

One thing is certain they are not in it for the profit and they are passionate about the venues they run and are out n about as punters every weekend

Fred

That maybe so, but why feel threatened by us? we live miles away & have no interest in running a venue in Crewe! as we keep saying it was a one off BIRTHDAY party! but there was no need for the subsequent abuse he gave us!

Social source share

Fred

:lol:  Best joke I've heard in ages

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

I,m the only DJ in the village! dont know the guy, but thats the exact impression we got from him! they say they are getting younger on the scene, but babies!

Social source share

:lol:  Best joke I've heard in ages

Check out the prices they charge to get into the venues and compare them with some of the other promoters who operate in the area along with the facilities and detail they go to at their venues..

If you have attended ever personally attended their events you would realise it is not a joke!!!

Social source share

Check out the prices they charge to get into the venues and compare them with some of the other promoters who operate in the area along with the facilities and detail they go to at their venues..

If you have attended ever personally attended their events you would realise it is not a joke!!!

To be fair I've been too and enjoyed it when I went. Only a fiver tax, a decent venue and some great DJs (have to exclude the above DS, who was not great). I'd be saddened if it were 'J.J' who had done this. The last one was a packer and really decent, so he's in little danger of being undermined... this would make me think twice though about next time.

We've had an issue in the past with a local North Wales promoter (not the folks at the lovely Broughton Wings Soul Club, they are top, top drawer), turned up at one of our charity nights shouting and balling about music policy etc before leaving noisily. Its a bit of fun we put on for our mates to spin a few tunes, have a dance and a catch up, and to raise a few bob for others. No one is doing it to attack your 'margins'.

Leaves a bitter taste but I imagine its a years old problem.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Of course no promoter has the right to dictate who hires the club that they regularly use.

However, I would have thought a courtesy call to the promoter to explain your intent would probably been a decent thing to do...not that you should have to do this, but moreso I would think it would be the best way to start proceedings.

Let's be honest, most if us know who promotes which venues and it is easy enough to find out on here if in doubt.

This day and age there are so many events competing with each other, both locally and nationally.

This results in plenty of politics and backstabbing between promoters, so any enquiries for another soul event at a venue that another promoter regularly uses could be viewed with suspicion.

Of course that doesn't excuse abusive phone calls or emails from said promoter in return, but all is not sugary sweet on the promoting side of Northern Soul, and never has been.......

Think the term 'Welcome to the shark pool' gets bandied about a fair bit!

we had no idea who ran a soul night at this club, all we did was look online, NOT soulsource, then we contacted the OWNER of the club, who was great & he mentioned that someone did run a soul night here. As we did not intend to run a northern night its just going to be a BIRTHDAY PARTY for 2 blokes who happen to be soulies, we did not think we should have to inform anyone! this guy was narked because we didnt ask him to dj, we dont even know him!its all a bit childish & he should grow up!
Social source share

Welcome to the dark world of promoting. I would never do it again, the trouble I had to put up with all the politics was horrendous.

Playing devils advocate here I have a little understanding of where the other guy is coming from [but I would never condone his actions] it has been known to happen that when a one off night is a roaring success the organisers think, "wow this is brilliant, lets run it every month" so that's probably his concern.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If it's not a soul event then of course you have no need to contact the promoter, and the manager should not refuse your business

I am puzzled though.....why would the promoter be bothered about not DJing if it's a birthday party not a soul night?

I'm guessing the music policy was to be Northern, and not general disco/wedding pish?

If so then I still believe the courteous thing to do would to be have approached the promoter first.

It's just general good manners in my opinion, and even though you were not aware of his promotion initially, then you could have followed it up after the manager told you that a soul night already ran in the venue.

Actually why would the manager even mention the soul night if you were booking for a general birthday party.?

Not my venue, not my promotion, not my concern really.......just airing my opinion on how I would have played it.

Best of luck in finding an alternative....I know plenty of suitable venues in the area if you need any info.....Nantwich Civic Hall is a beauty and has 2am license if I remember correctly....Eddie Edmundson ran some hugely successful charity events there a few years back, fantastic dancefloor and has a big car park to rear....plus no soul promotions running from there presently so no grief to worry about!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gfarrington

I don't get this.

They want to throw a birthday party but they have to okay it with the promotor of a Northern Soul night first?

Someone who doesn't own the building in any shape or form.

This is one of the daftest things I've ever heard.

I've no idea who is being spoken about here but he needs his bubble of self importance bursting.

part politics part money talks pete, what phil says is a reasonable point which most peeps may not think of , if your not in the politix mix(which i'm not btw)thankfully

Social source share

I don't get it either, if it's a birthday party what has it got to do with anyone else apart from the manager/ owner of the venue and the people hosting the party. The majority of the people who are going to be guests are unlikely to be regulars of the place.

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Welcome to the dark world of promoting. I would n ever do it again, the trouble I had to put up with all the politics was horrendous.

Playing devils advocate here I have a little understanding of where the other guy is coming from [but I would never condone his actions] it has been known to happen that when a one off night is a roaring success the organisers think, "wow this is brilliant, lets run it every month" so that's probably his concern.

we live in Bury nr Manchester! & have no interest whatsoever in running a soul night in Crewe! we have been there, done that running a venue for a few years, we had enough stupid politics then, & are so glad we are out of it now!
Social source share

I can understand someone being pissed if you was to move in on a club that had a good following and wanted to promote the same but wanting to book a birthday party and get hassle is madness 

I would like to think the promoter may see sense on this one and reconsider

Social source share

Guest bury masonic

I don't get this.

They want to throw a birthday party but they have to okay it with the promotor of a Northern Soul night first?

Someone who doesn't own the building in any shape or form.

This is one of the daftest things I've ever heard.

I've no idea who is being spoken about here but he needs his bubble of self importance bursting.

Your not kidding! he is like the "value" pack of northern soul from what I can gather!
Social source share

If someone is already using the venue, I personally think the done thing is to speak to them first, and maybe ask if they can incorporate your wishes in an event (or work together at least) It isn't a matter of being a baby, it is a matter of respect (and I don't mean in a contrived way) I have had this situation many times over the years, and it just so happens, the said peope have approached me before the venue because they were aware it was the venue I use, and every time, I returned that respect (consideration more so) by working together, and helping as much as I could.

There's more to it than 'throwing ones dummy out' :wink: 

No offence intended - That is the way I see it, and best of luck with your event mate. If what I say happens to make you have a rethink and you approach the said promoter with this in mind, I bet you they will do everything they can to help you - It's so much nicer :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - Also good luck with raising money for Charity (obviously), but that doesn't make any difference to how I think things should be approached :wink: 

P.p.s - It's a shame the person in question was rude to you, as you seem like the kind of person who would understand his objections, if spoken to properly, and no doubt would have sorted something amicably there and then - Good luck mate :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

If someone is already using the venue, I personally think the done thing is to speak to them first, and maybe ask if they can incorporate your wishes in an event (or work together at least) It isn't a matter of being a baby, it is a matter of respect (and I don't mean in a contrived way) I have had this situation many times over the years, and it just so happens, the said peope have approached me before the venue because they were aware it was the venue I use, and every time, I returned that respect (consideration more so) by working together, and helping as much as I could.

There's more to it than 'throwing ones dummy out' :wink: 

No offence intended - That is the way I see it, and best of luck with your event mate. If what I say happens to make you have a rethink and you approach the said promoter with this in mind, I bet you they will do everything they can to help you - It's so much nicer :wink:

All the best,]

P.s - Also good luck with raising money for Charity (obviously), but that doesn't make any difference to how I think things should be approached :wink: 

P.p.s - It's a shame the person in question was rude to you, as you seem like the kind of person who would understand his objections, if spoken to properly, and no doubt would have sorted something amicably there and then - Good luck mate :wink: 

What a load of rubbish it's not an event there putting on it's a private Birthday party for invited guest

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What a load of rubbish it's not an event there putting on it's a private Birthday party for invited guest

Yes, I know exactly what you mean / it's not 'a load of rubbish', and I know it seems absolutely ridiculous (especially as you pointed out, invite only), but all it is, is a matter of manners......In saying this, I'm talking 15 years ago, let's be honest - the calendar, and venues (probably) are just a free for all nowadays anyway - Not meant as a dig, it's just the way it is now.

These things are made much easier if both sides see the others point of view - As I said, there was no call for the promoter to be rude or defensive because you obviously have all good intensions, so I think that bad start is most probably the end of your correspondence (which is a shame)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

Er...we didnt even know it had northern nights on, until we spoke to the owner of the club. he then asked us if we needed any djs to which we replied no as we have friends who would be doing it for us. He then told us that he had soul nights at the club & could provide djs not that it was a condition of hiring the club! we dont feel we should answer to anyone, all we want to do is hire a club for a BIRTHDAY party! thanks for your comments anyway SHEILA

Social source share

Er...we didnt even know it had northern nights on, until we spoke to the owner of the club. he then asked us if we needed any djs to which we replied no as we have friends who would be doing it for us. He then told us that he had soul nights at the club & could provide djs not that it was a condition of hiring the club! we dont feel we should answer to anyone, all we want to do is hire a club for a BIRTHDAY party! thanks for your comments anyway SHEILA

Hello mate,

Firstly, let me make this absolutely clear - You have done absolutely nothing wrong what so ever, the promoter (if they had an issue) should have spoken to you amicably, and I'm sure it would have been sorted there and then.

I was presuming this event was well known in a "Ady (Croasdell) I'm thinking of having my 50th Birthday Party at The 100 Club - What the f*ck are you gonna do about it?"....kinda way :wink: 

...If that makes sense! :D 

All the best,

Len.

Edited by pikeys dog
Out of place prmotion.
Social source share

Yes, I know exactly what you mean / it's not 'a load of rubbish', and I know it seems absolutely ridiculous (especially as you pointed out, invite only), but all it is, is a matter of manners......In saying this, I'm talking 15 years ago, let's be honest - the calendar, and venues (probably) are just a free for all nowadays anyway - Not meant as a dig, it's just the way it is now.

These things are made much easier if both sides see the others point of view - As I said, there was no call for the promoter to be rude or defensive because you obviously have all good intensions, so I think that bad start is most probably the end of your correspondence (which is a shame)

All the best,

I don't understand that you have to ask a third party promoter to hold a private party that has foook all to do with him at a Venue that is up for hire to anyone who wants it.

it could have been a wedding they were booking, it still has nothing to do with a promoter.

It won't be on the calendar either as it's a private party 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My advice would be - to speak to the said promoter again, apologise for 'stepping on his toes' (so to speak) and maybe include him in the D.J line up (simply as a matter of respect of the fact that he may be a bit 'precious' about it)…If you still get a sh*tty response, then go ahead with your plans at the venue, and I will gladly D.J for you for no charge! :wink:

All the best,

N.B - The above is worded extremely badly - See future posts (we have it covered!) :wink::D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

With all due respect, are you for real? we were not stepping on anyones toes it was for a private party! as for including him in the line up? tha would never happen if anyone has to apologise its definitely not us!

Social source share

With all due respect, are you for real? we were not stepping on anyones toes it was for a private party! as for including him in the line up? tha would never happen if anyone has to apologise its definitely not us!

I was only thinking the same thing :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest bury masonic

It's a shame the club didn't honour your booking, it's got sod all to do with anyone what you want to hire the room for, what next vetting wedding receptions and funeral wakes?

Ridiculous isnt it! we might have a word with Kev Roberts about booking KINGS HALL !
Social source share

:g: Hi Derek, the owner gave your name by the looks of it to the promoter, they do this some times as to keep the promoter on side as to think ( Your a two a penny thing ) As you know we ran the mill for six years, and in that time we where told all in sunderee wanted to move in on us. Normally after you have asked for a drinks promotion/ or room discount.

The promoter will have put two and two together, checked you out ' and found you had run a successful event at Bury Masonic. He flapped by the looks of it ( not making excuses for him ) I'm sorry it gets to this stage mate, see you and Sheila at Wellingborough. Rod Clegg :hatsoff2:

Edited by Rodders22
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

it may sound rude ' but if i was in your shoes i'd tell to piss off' the owner should have  put him in his place.

best of luck in finding the right venue.

Social source share

My advice would be - to speak to the said promoter again, apologise for 'stepping on his toes' (so to speak) and maybe include him in the D.J line up (simply as a matter of respect of the fact that he may be a bit 'precious' about it)…If you still get a sh*tty response, then go ahead with your plans at the venue, and I will gladly D.J for you for no charge! :wink:

All the best,

Good grief man.....apologise for enquiring about booking a club? Include a promotor on the DJ line up for a private party? What? Whatever next, it sounds like the Mafia in New Jersey. If this was a pay on the door night I'd agree 100% and it would be bad to book a rival night, but it's a birthday party / private function FFS. Anyway there's plenty of empty clubs around, buyer is spoilt for choice really, take your custom elsewhere etc.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I know you've said it's a private party, and forgive me if you've answered this previously (if you have I haven't seen it) but will it exclusively be a northern do? 'Northern' music, 'northern' punters (as in the guests attending) etc. How often does the promoter run his events, and will the party be on a date somewhere near his soul night? Just interested is all.

Cheers

Winston

Social source share

Hello mate,

Yes that was very badly worded on my part, and it would be ridiculous to expect someone to apologise for doing nothing wrong. I meant give the guy a call saying something like...."Hi mate, sorry for the confusion ref using the venue where you hold your Soul Nights, I didn't realise there would be an issue, can we sort something on this, maybe a date far enough away from your event?"......etc.

That sort of thing.

All the best,

P.s - As was stated earlier in the thread - Promoting really is a murky world!

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Good grief man.....apologise for enquiring about booking a club? Include a promotor on the DJ line up for a private party? What? Whatever next, it sounds like the Mafia in New Jersey. If this was a pay on the door night I'd agree 100% and it would be bad to book a rival night, but it's a birthday party / private function FFS. Anyway there's plenty of empty clubs around, buyer is spoilt for choice really, take your custom elsewhere etc.

Yeh I know - We have it covered! :) ......I was leaning towards him using the 'Charm offensive' :wink: 

Social source share