Two Plus Two- Band Info And How Many Copies

Mike

Info and a question

on a track that caused a bit of a stir when it went for big money on ebay recently

Go to single track section to listen

First how many copies ?

currently a 45 reportedly owned by one group member is being offered for higheest offer by a uk soul site for this person

interesting apart from claiming exclusive audio clip while last looked was on ebay and up here, :shades: it also claims that it is one of only 3 known copies

Just me or is there a element of doubt - i have been told of two people who have a 45 and have heard there was even more back in 70s - east anglia?

Not sure of all details as often in stuff like this its based on "what heard" and so on , but out of interest and as maybe as some doubt may help seller or a buyer wonder if anyone can pass on any info

ta

mike

Group

Tracked some info on two plus two as seems there was a group frrom Manchester CT USA called this, and as seems its close to New Haven where other 2 Gwen owens velgo 45s were recorded does seem fairly likely

There's a ex-member online Kenny Hicks, whodid try to contact but no reply yet,

here's the info on group and pick of kenny h

post-1-1098898855.jpg

Well, it all started in 1964 when he originally played drums for The Pentagons, and in 1965, The Two Plus Two in Manchester, CT. where he grew up. In 1966, he started his career as a keyboard player with The Quiet Ones (one of Manchester's finest groups). This four-piece group won the Connecticut Battle of the Bands in 1967. Subsequently, they were accepted by Laurie Records to record the hit record "Little Bit O' Soul" (ultimately recorded by the Music Explosion). Unfortunately, due to being in high school, they were forced to decline the offer. (parental decision...and they ALL graduated too!!). The group played all around the state as well as in Misquamicut, R.I. at "The George". In 1968, he was asked to play for the Gravy Train, a 7-piece horn band. While with them, he performed at one of the inaugural balls for President Nixon at the Hotel Willard, in Washington D.C. He remained with them until 1970, when he helped to form an 8-piece horn band called Freedom Bound, playing at many colleges in the area.

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

First how many copies ?

currently a 45 reportedly owned by one group member is being offered for higheest offer by a uk soul site for this person

I think the one the group member was selling (he was also the writer) has been sold. Shifty (I think) recently got hold of a copy which he has since sold on to a top UK DJ. I know the writer wanted $5000 as I took the call when it was offered to Andy D.

Butch as we all know bought the one from e-bay. Greg Tormo has a copy don't know of anymore. All the people spoken to who know of this record say it was never about, including Gilly who's forgot more about Detroit than most know. Not saying there aren't anymore lurking in the states or in collections :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!