Jobete/motown Acetates

Anyone who has any of these, can you please post what you have. I'd like to see a list of how many there are as a collective here, that have survived. I've got a fair amount that I'll post once I can look through them. Please post the titles/artists/whatever other info. I think it'll be really neat to see all that have survived, that soul-source users own. Thanks.

Thomas

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry don't have any now but can tell you about a few I had

Liz Lands - Midnight Johnny (diff mix)

Hattie Littles - Love trouble heartaches and misery (diff mix)

Carolyn Crawford - I'll come running (diff mix)

they all looked the same as Andy's discs above

probably more, will have a think

Phil Dick had stacks of these I think

Social source share

- Marvin Gaye - Love Starved Heart jobete 7 in.

- Double Sided Band track 7 in. Come On And See Me b/w Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart

- Brenda Holloway - I Prayed For A Boy Like You 10 in.

- Marvin Gaye - No Good Without You 7 in. jobete

I've got a lot more I'll continue to post as I find them.. Everyone please post if you have any, will make this a lot better.

Social source share

sold a few motown/jobete acetates last year and start of this would have to think which titles though. think you bought about two or three thomas ? sold a eddie holland daydreamer end of last year too (four track 10 inch)  still got a few left.

Yes, that Marvin I listed up there came from you and also a 10 in. unknown group, "One In A Million."

Social source share

Don't Forget The Motor City lists the artists as "unknown".  The songwriters are also unlisted, and so was the recording date.  Jobete Music "proof of ownership" acetates usually listed the writers AND recording date.  If we could see who the songwriters were, and if there was a recording date on it, AND listen to the recording(s), perhaps we could make an educated guess as to the group was, based on a combination of making an educated guess as to the producer (from the songwriters) and comparing the voices of the group to groups produced by those producers.

Can we get someone to post an MP3 of that song?  Can we get a label scan, as well?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Don't Forget The Motor City lists the artists as "unknown". The songwriters are also unlisted, and so was the recording date. Jobete Music "proof of ownership" acetates usually listed the writers AND recording date. If we could see who the songwriters were, and if there was a recording date on it, AND listen to the recording(s), perhaps we could make an educated guess as to the group was, based on a combination of making an educated guess as to the producer (from the songwriters) and comparing the voices of the group to groups produced by those producers.

Can we get someone to post an MP3 of that song? Can we get a label scan, as well?

I'll try to post them up tomorrow. I thought Satintones at first listen, but now I'm questoning that.

Social source share

I'll try to post them up tomorrow. I thought Satintones at first listen, but now I'm questioning that.

Satintones!  Joy of joys!  A pre-1962 song!!!  Maybe it's a long lost Equadors recording!!!!  I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing it!

Social source share

Satintones!  Joy of joys!  A pre-1962 song!!!  Maybe it's a long lost Equadors recording!!!!  I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing it!

I hope that should work. Was very difficult for my technologically challenged self... Sorry for the bad quality too, I had to record it on my phone.

Social source share

It's definitely a female lead.  Probably a single artist.  From its sound, I'd guess that it was recorded in 1961, or, possibly, early 1962.  I have the idea in my mind, that I've seen on an official list, that the song was written in 1961.  But, when I looked it up on "Don't Forget The Motor City", it showed year of song written, and recording dates both as "unidentified".   I don't think any other years are possible.  

The singer sounds hauntingly, at times, like Mary Wells.  But at other times, not at all like her.  I'm pretty sure she is not Mary.  I don't really think that the lead singer and background singers are a group.  It must be an, as yet, unknown Motown artist.  I can't think of another female artist they had at that time in 1961, who has that same voice.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Thomas, do you possess the actual acetate?  If so, could you please upload a scan of its label?  Even if it doesn't have the songwriters and recording date listed, just seeing the label might give a clue to what year it was recorded.

Social source share

It's definitely a female lead.  Probably a single artist.  From its sound, I'd guess that it was recorded in 1961, or, possibly, early 1962.  I have the idea in my mind, that I've seen on an official list, that the song was written in 1961.  But, when I looked it up on "Don't Forget The Motor City", it showed year of song written, and recording dates both as "unidentified".   I don't think any other years are possible.  

The singer sounds hauntingly, at times, like Mary Wells.  But at other times, not at all like her.  I'm pretty sure she is not Mary.  I don't really think that the lead singer and background singer are a group.  It must be an, as yet, unknown Motown artist.  I can't think of another female artist they had at that time in 1961, who has that same voice.

Are you sure it's a female? I can't tell for sure, but I think it could possibly be male. I think at the very beginning the lyric is "girl, you're one in a million" that's what makes me think it's male. I'm really not sure though, it could be "yes, you're one in a million."  

I have the actual acetate, i'll try to post a scan at some point. It's a New York address disc, just with the title One In A Million, and "Your Best Bet Is Jobete" and address on the top.

Social source share

Are you sure it's a female? I can't tell for sure, but I think it could possibly be male. I think at the very beginning the lyric is "girl, you're one in a million" that's what makes me think it's male. I'm really not sure though, it could be "yes, you're one in a million."  

I have the actual acetate, I'll try to post a scan at some point. It's a New York address disc, just with the title One In A Million, and "Your Best Bet Is Jobete" and address on the top.

The New York address tells me it's a product of New York's Jobete Music office, which means that it must have been recorded in 1963, and was probably sung by one of their artists as a demo.  It DEFINITELY isn't Tamala Lewis or Norma Jenkins.  The only other female artist that I can think of that they had singing demos was Carol Moore.  I'll have to listen to Moore's recordings to see if her voice was the same.  But, I don't think she had as full or as deep a voice as this singer.  IF it is, indeed a male lead singer singing in falsetto, I can't imagine it being The Parliaments or Roy Handy or The Serenaders, or Timothy Wilson or Sidney Barnes.  The only one I can think of who sang falsetto was Sammy Turner.  But. this singer's voice sounds nothing like Sammy's.

Social source share

yeah...I have a couple.

Will post pics later today

regards

there you go............almost later today............

Only 1 with artist on.

Last pic: Gino Parks...has another label underneath with same track and reference.

this is in bad shape.

No artist on others.

There's no "Suspicion" hiding in these.

:)

"Goodnight Manhatten" would have gone to the garage if it was not a Jobete acetate....

2 copies of the Fine as Wine.

I think they are same cut.

I think the 343 is a different take to the Junior Walker LP.

Uploading sound files may take me a little while longer (cough...ahem)

Best regards

Steve

post-28865-0-67005900-1401057359_thumb.j

post-28865-0-48917000-1401057418_thumb.j

post-28865-0-60897900-1401057457_thumb.j

post-28865-0-20123300-1401057501_thumb.j

post-28865-0-03850900-1401057542_thumb.j

post-28865-0-68476300-1401057596_thumb.j

post-28865-0-18625800-1401057635_thumb.j

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Spot on Chalky, Marv Johnson it is. Goes to show don't believe "unreleased" written on a record sleeve. So it was released on United Artists. Although this acetate sounds like a slightly different take, difficult to tell, but my ears the backing singers less upfront. Was given this acetate many years back with a few others as part of a swap, mostly sat in a box gathering dust since. Never really looked into it until today when I thought I'd put it up. Anyway thanks for shedding light on this. 

Edited by Des Crombie
Social source share

I have the actual acetate, i'll try to post a scan at some point. It's a New York address disc, just with the title One In A Million, and "Your Best Bet Is Jobete" and address on the top.

Its definitely a male lead. The guy I had it off thought it was the serenaders. I was/ am not sure..in fact they dont sound like them at all. thast why I just sold it as unknown group.

Social source share

Its definitely a male lead. The guy I had it off thought it was the Serenaders. I was/ am not sure..in fact they don't sound like them at all. that's why I just sold it as unknown group.

Well, it was generated in Jobete Music's New York office (and probably recorded in 1963 (way too early sounding for 1964).  So, The Serenaders is a reasonable guess.  But they don't sound, at all, like The Serenaders.  And the lead singer doesn't sound like George Kerr, Sidney Barnes or Timothy Wilson.  It could possibly be one of the other 2 members.  He doesn't sound AT ALL like Roy Handy.  Clearly, they are NOT The Parliaments.  I'm guessing they are a group working with Gene Redd, Jr.  Might they be The Prophets? 

Social source share

Guest keithhughes

I know of 6 Motown/Bell acetates, all dated between Feb-May 61.

Jimmy Ruffin - Don't Feel Sorry For Me b/w Mary Wells - I Don't Want To Take A Chance

Satintones - Angel

Barrett Strong - Sugar Daddy

Gino Parks -That's No Lie

Jimmy Ruffin - Don't Feel Sorry For Me (different EQ) b/w Heart

Miracles - Ain't It Baby [version with strings]

I think that very shortly after this time, Motown acquired their own cutting machine and rarely used outside studios to cut acetates thereafter. The earliest Motown-cut JD 10" acetate I know of (JD-007) contains a sequence of tracks from tapes 2S006/007, and probably dates from around July 1961, when Robert Bateman and Brian Holland started assembling the 2S series from all the two-track tapes going back to the start of HItsville..There must have been a plan to cut the entire tape library onto these 10" metal discs, though not many of them survive now. The practice continued right up to the end of the three-track era, late 1964/early 1965, the highest I know of being JD-347. George Fowler seems to have been responsible for producing these discs, his name is on many of the disc labels.

During 1965, a number of 7" acetates were cut containing single tracks from the JD 10" series. "Fine As Wine" (actually "Gotta Have Your Lovin'" by Hattie Littles) pictured above is one such.

Social source share

• 8 months later...

During 1965, a number of 7" acetates were cut containing single tracks from the JD 10" series. "Fine As Wine" (actually "Gotta Have Your Lovin'" by Hattie Littles) pictured above is one such.

Never let it be said I take my time in responding to online forums........

Just to follow up on the point you made, can you confirm the "fine as Wine' is actually Hattie Littles?

This is unreleased still?

Why multiple copies?

I think there were 3 of these originally. I still have 2.

Were these cut as archive back-ups rather than potential releases?

Also any ideas on the "singer" of "Goodnight Manhatten"

Best regards

Steve

Social source share

• 5 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 27/11/2023 at 22:07, thomas96 said:

Old thread bump but curious if anyone now seeing this has any to add here?

Yes, here's one more;

Hitsville Sound Studios:
Eddie Holland - Love Is What You Make It
(JD-037-04)
(What does this reference refer to? And JD = Jobete Demo perhaps?

Has anybody summarised / compiled a full list of these acetates yet? I'd like to see it if they have.

Eddie Holland.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Denbo said:

Yes, here's one more;

Hitsville Sound Studios:
Eddie Holland - Love Is What You Make It
(JD-037-04)
(What does this reference refer to? And JD = Jobete Demo perhaps?

Has anybody summarised / compiled a full list of these acetates yet? I'd like to see it if they have.

Eddie Holland.jpg

Awesome acetate

dftmc.info has nearly every motown recording listed, released and unreleased, and typically has info on known acetates. That said, a couple of the acetates I have are not listed on that website so I don't think it's 100% perfect nor will it likely ever be considering how scattered the acetates are...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 01/12/2023 at 06:55, thomas96 said:

(1)Awesome acetate ("Love Is What You Make It")

dftmc.info has nearly every Motown recording listed, released and unreleased, and typically has info on known acetates. That said, a couple of the acetates I have are not listed on that website so I don't think it's 100% perfect (2) nor will it likely ever be considering how scattered the acetates are...

(1) dftmc.info does NOT have "Love is What You Make It", or "Last Night I had a Vision", which, together, make up half of the 4 Eddie Holland songs I remember that were on a 10-inch recording studio acetate, from late 1964 (if I remember correctly), which was a Motown in-house demo, rather than Jobete Music Co. "Proof Of Ownership" acetate, pictured above (which Tom DePierro and I also had found in Motown's Vault (clearly made by Mike Valvano for Quality Control review), which 13 years later, we considered for potential release in Motown's "From The Vaults" LP project).

(2) I'm sure that several Motown collectors in USA, who always kept to themselves, got several of them, which is why The NS community doesn't know where they landed.  Nobody knew what records I had until the first NS DJ found out about me and my collection quite a few years after Brits were coming to The US looking for rare Soul records.  There were some US collectors who were unknown by even most US collectors until they died and their collections were sold off.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!