Dates/ Clashing Birthday Parties.. Bla Bla

Always thought this Steve, especially the birthday thing. If it's someone's 50th/.60th and they're big into the scene, why not just approach your favorite and already established soul event/promoter to absorb the bday celebrations.

Theyve already got the venue, playing the music you love, got the dates pencilled in, probably already got a lot of your mates going to it who you'd have invited anyway etc

Would take a lot of the hassle out of planning.

Im sure the promoter wouldnt mind either, probably bump their numbers up!!

The charity do's could try the same thing. I know there's a lot more said on the microphone for charity do's (raffle announcements and the like) but there's easy ways to keep that to a minimum. Everyone would be a winner (promoter gains more numbers, as does the charity in terms of cash generated)!

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Always thought this Steve, especially the birthday thing. If it's someone's 50th/.60th and they're big into the scene, why not just approach your favorite and already established soul event/promoter to absorb the bday celebrations.

Theyve already got the venue, playing the music you love, got the dates pencilled in, probably already got a lot of your mates going to it who you'd have invited anyway etc

Would take a lot of the hassle out of planning.

Im sure the promoter wouldnt mind either, probably bump their numbers up!!

The charity do's could try the same thing. I know there's a lot more said on the microphone for charity do's (raffle announcements and the like) but there's easy ways to keep that to a minimum. Everyone would be a winner (promoter gains more numbers, as does the charity in terms of cash generated)!

I did just that! I wanted to mark rather than have a huge celebration when I turned 50 so I wanted a lively soul night local to where I live and as close to my birthday as possible. This happened to be the Cream Cracker Soul club which at the time held it's nights at Rothwell football ground in Northants. I approached the promoter, Kev Such, and he was more than accomodating. I helped raise some money for Kev's charity on the night, my guests (some non soulies) got in for free, everyone was happy.

Best of all, if It had been shite I could then have blamed Kev. :D:thumbsup:

Edited by Maark
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If the birthday bash was incorporated into a regular event, would the

promoter allow all the invited guests in for free ?.

Would the promoter allow food etc.to be put on ?.

Would the promoter allow time for speeches ?.

What about little kids running about all over the gaff ?

My point is that there is a big difference in format between a birthday party

and  a regular event whatever the music policy is.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

In my case it was a small select number that got in for nowt as I don't have many friends. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Maybe someone should write a rule book of what we are allowed to do and what we are not....."Northern soul Rules and Regs for 2014" .It's all getting rather regimented and daft. Where someone holds a birthday party is entirely up to them.

You saying there isn't a rulebook Steve? :ohmy:

Social source share

Would the promoter allow food etc.to be put on ?.

Would the promoter allow time for speeches ?.

What about little kids running about all over the gaff ?

My point is that there is a big difference in format between a birthday party

and a regular event whatever the music policy is.

Think Steve's original post is referring to birthdays where folk are out n out doilies and probably not interested on the normal birthday stuff, that's how I inferred it anyway

Social source share

Maybe someone should write a rule book of what we are allowed to do and what we are not....."Northern soul Rules and Regs for 2014" .It's all getting rather regimented and daft. Where someone holds a birthday party is entirely up to them.

Don't think any posts so far are looking to set out rules? Just suggestions that some people on t'other thread might not have thought about

Social source share

What are doilies ?

They're like small antimacassars* in style, (sort of lace) you usually put them on tables and sometimes on the arm of an armchair. They prevent damage :)

Please note, I said like small antimacassars as opposed to they are... used the example purely to help Kegsy picture one, that of course is assuming he knows what an antimacassar is. :)

Social source share

Oh right.

But surely they would invite relatives and friends who were not into northern

even if they had northern DJ's if you get my drift.

Yep, defo see your point, and im sure not all friends and family would want to go to a soul do if they weren't into it.

But then again, some folk are not into cheesy pop music and listening to Grease megamix whilst they chow down on sausage on sticks and stale ham butties from a naff buffet. They go because it's their loved ones birthday and thats what said loved one wanted to do to mark the celebration.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep, defo see your point, and im sure not all friends and family would want to go to a soul do if they weren't into it.

But then again, some folk are not into cheesy pop music and listening to Grease megamix whilst they chow down on sausage on sticks and stale ham butties from a naff buffet. They go because it's their loved ones birthday and thats what said loved one wanted to do to mark the celebration.

Yep agree with this, my 50th was a joint effort with four others on the soul scene, we all invited relatives, those that came just got on with it, they knew it was a northern all dayer. We didn't clash with other venues, luckily (as far as I can remember) and used an existing soul venue. (did speak to the promoter first) What it basically became was an extra northern do in between 2 regular dates at the same venue. It never caused a problem. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep agree with this, my 50th was a joint effort with four others on the soul scene, we all invited relatives, those that came just got on with it, they knew it was a northern all dayer. We didn't clash with other venues, luckily (as far as I can remember) and used an existing soul venue. (did speak to the promoter first) What it basically became was an extra northern do in between 2 regular dates at the same venue. It never caused a problem. 

And a cracking do it was too Win. It was on a bank holiday Sunday if I remember right so not really that much on compared to a Saturday night.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi I still maintain if someone wants to have a birthday party, where it is and when it is entirely up to them……all this "you got to clear it with the local scene faces" is utter bollox….

Don't get me wrong Steve, I completely agree with both those points.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

let me just get this right....myself and co promoter @ "club caliente" peterborough are both 50 on june 3rd and july 3rd and having a birthday bash on the 4th july at the venue

that we promote and have been doing so by-monthly for the last 5yrs with nearly a birthday celebration for one of our punters on most events, so are we not allowed to

celebrate our birthdays at our event......

please could the birthday police confirm this is ok or do we have to cancel the pizzas, sausage rolls etc and free entry...oh yer we always do free entry......

ps; all soul sourcers welcome lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

....I've had a 40 th & 50th both packed to the rafters all the DJs played for nowt I

..I'm having a big 60 th Birthday Party 5 th July at Stubshaw Labour Club in Ashton in Makerfield with the help of good friends who have organised the venue free use of equipment DJs who are giving there time up for free

I wouldn't expect anything else mate :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Who has birthday parties? What the f*ck are we, 5 years old?

Apparently some guy in Burnley who may or may not have caused this topic to start

due to the amount of people who look like they will be there.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

……all this "you got to clear it with the local scene faces" is utter bollox….

A few weeks ago I was watching a spin off film based on the 'Essex Boys' story (Ecstasy, raves, clubs etc) and wondered is there / was there an equivalent on the Northern scene?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest veep1296

I believe that old bloke in Burnley is so popular he couldn't find a local soul night big enough to take 300+ folk;-)

What a load of bollox being talked in several of the above posts.

That Chalky fellow , Ian C, Kegsy & Dave Moore seem to be of sound mind!

See a few of you on Saturday. First record 7pm !! Don't be late.

Edited by veep1296
Social source share