Originals - Suspicion

was told recently Richard searling had one.....theres a good alt mix being sold at the moment on fb etc

Heard say that that copy was the 'First' lay of the track and it was played with a little until its final official release. But as Abraham Lincoln once said 'You can't believe everything you see on the Internet'

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

I saw 2 of them in The Motown Vaults.  We taped the better one, which was taped off me and taken to The UK in 1981 by Rod S.  Somehow, the OTHER one ended up in The UK, and is now the preferred NS cut, or the only version known by most, and the only one on video on The internet.  no accounting for taste.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is a scan on here and tht is the one Searling has or had, it isn't the take played during the 80's. 

I doubt were was one track and then played with a little as the takes are so different, one is even a different lead, one has wah wah guitar or something like with a early 70's feel about it.

Social source share

I have an acetate of the version RS played, it did come from him via a friend, different from the other 4 versions i have on vinyl that have come out over the years.

got no way of recording it at the moment, did show it & played it to Simon Hunt at Skeggy.

Backing singers are lower then other versions too

Ian.

Social source share

Which one is the 1999 Originals Best Of Version? I think it is very similar to the commonly known and played version, but maybe with a different vocal.

How much would one of these discs be worth?

That one I am sure is the same as the one Robb K recorded that was first played here.  The other similar version is the one RS has I think, i'd have to listen and compare but that could also be the speeded up version that was booted.  Then there is the one Chris King put on CD with different lead and slower.

Social source share

I have an acetate of the version RS played, it did come from him via a friend, different from the other 4 versions i have on vinyl that have come out over the years.

got no way of recording it at the moment, did show it & played it to Simon Hunt at Skeggy.

Backing singers are lower then other versions too

Ian.

This is Richards I think.  It is one one JM auctioned, not sure if it went to Gary Fields at one time?

post-225-0-02865900-1400694820.jpg

Social source share

The acetate with our "From The Vaults" selected version, was a normal 7 inch cream-coloured label, which was a normal Jobete Music acetate, with the title in red typed letters, "Jobete Music Co," in black typed letters, and no artist listed.  I believe that that acetate was auctioned off in the 1989-90 auctions, and ended up in England, as well.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Baby have mercy on me ?

Not sure if it had "Baby Have Mercy On Me" on the other side, or just "Suspicion" on one side.  I DO remember seeing "Baby Have Mercy On Me" on a Jobete Music acetate, but don't remember if it was on a 2-sided or one-sided acetate.

Social source share

This is Richards I think.  It is one one JM auctioned, not sure if it went to Gary Fields at one time?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

hi chalky,  thats the one that gary field got off manship, then sold  to searling, he bought it straight from manship to my house (along with probabally the 4th or 5th (at the time,) known copy of robby lawson) because he didnt have a record player,  suspicion was a 10in acetate, both records resided at my house for a couple of months before he sold them on, this would have been around 1992 ish, suspicion went to searling for £1000 and robby lawson went to steve chadwick for around the same figure

• Helpful 2
Social source share

hi chalky,  thats the one that gary field got off manship, then sold  to searling, he bought it straight from manship to my house (along with probabally the 4th or 5th (at the time,) known copy of robby lawson) because he didnt have a record player,  suspicion was a 10in acetate, both records resided at my house for a couple of months before he sold them on, this would have been around 1992 ish, suspicion went to searling for £1000 and robby lawson went to steve chadwick for around the same figure

And prior to that around 82/83 I'd cut him a copy off the tapes with I think "Love starved heart" on B so he may have played that too.

ROD

Social source share

were any of them made by the national sound corporation in Detroit ??

Didn't National Sound Corp. (of Detroit) start up operation in the mid to late 1970s?  I seem to remember that Ron Murphy used them for his own -, later projects, but that any '60s Motown acetates and demo copies made there would have to have been made by non-Motown people (apparently at the behest of NS people).  i don't believe Motown would have cut any there in the late 1970s for their "From The Vaults" project, or for their subsequent early '80s oldies LPs, or the Motown 25th Anniversary LP projects.

I believe we discussed that last issue on our previous "Motown Acetates" thread, in which we posted label scans of acetates and recording studio demos.  National wasn't listed on Soulful Detroit's list of 1960s recording studios and wasn't on their map.  I don't remember seeing any 1960s Motown cuts on demos from that studio in The Motown vaults, nor any official Motown documents or any demo that had proof that it was an official Motown project to make that demo.  further, I don't remember seeing any other Detroit Soul label during the 1960s having any demos made by national.  The only demos of '60s Soul cuts I've seen made by National seem to be  NS-related (e,g, made in the late 1970s or 1980s by Detroiters to sell to Brits, or made by Brits while they were visiting Detroit, to get previously unreleased cuts on plastic, to have "physical records" to be used by them as DJs on The Northern Scene in the UK, or to be sold to DJs for NS play.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this is the original version played on this scene, the one that came from Robb, hopefully he will confirm.

But this isn't the one that is the preferred Northern track? In my opinion, this version is certainly the best version. 

Social source share

But this isn't the one that is the preferred Northern track? In my opinion, this version is certainly the best version. 

It's preferred by me.  I didn't realise there was a preferred one, doubt many would realise which was which when the needle hits the disc at 3am.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes.  Perhaps because he wasn't the normal lead of the group, was the reason this song wasn't released.  The whole vocal delivery in this version is "sticky" and a little "jerky-(less fluid).  And the instrumental is different, including the sax.  It's less "punchy" and I like the vocal much less.  To me, he other version is MUCH "tighter".  

This again proves that Northern Soul is mainly about the dance beat, and my taste is about a blended overall compsosition of the vocal and instrumental performances AND the songwriting melody and song structure (lyrics no effect whatsoever).

Social source share

were any of them made by the national sound corporation in Detroit ??

I now know for sure, thanks to Keith Hughes, that National Sound Corp. started up operations in 1989.  Therefore, any demo records or acetates from them could NOT be an original, ordered by Motown personnel.  So, such a record would need to be considered a bootleg.  

Social source share

I now know for sure, thanks to Keith Hughes, that National Sound Corp. started up operations in 1989.  Therefore, any demo records or acetates from them could NOT be an original, ordered by Motown personnel.  So, such a record would need to be considered a bootleg.  

https://testpressing.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/more-cutting-room-heroes/

Plenty of other links to Ron and the NSC if you google NSC.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!