Delrays Inc- Value

It has fetched 400 odd and Kev Roberts offered 750 for one which is crazy. It wasn't that long ago it was less than 200 but every man and his dog wants it now.......

:lamsey:

Just to clarify......I was offered 750 and turned it down. This is very, very rare. It's only due to a similar re-press that folks assume it's more common than it really is. So as for JM's valuation of 400...on this occasion he's under valued it by several hindered IMHO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry I don't agree that it's very rare, before it suddenly became a flavour of the month about 4 years back, you could pick them up for £125, I had 3 just from people in the West Midlands here.  Yes it is hard to find now, but in real value, probably £250

• Helpful 2
Social source share

anyone help with current value and id'ing an orig of Delrays Inc- destination unknown?  thanks in advance, geese.

Hi Geese you have spelt it as Delrays & on JM's record on YT it's spelt Delreys is that a clue to Orig or the re issue ?

or is it just a spelling mistake by you m8  :g:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

cant believe I've never flipped it! can anyone run down how to identitfy a real one? I bought mine fron tim brown around 15 years ago, so I'm hoping it should be pucka, but not certain

The label on the original is a lighter green and the text is not sharp - looks like it was put on with a rubber stamp. There are also a few specks of black ink dotted around the label. To be honest the counterfeit copy looks more professional than the original.

I managed to get an original copy off Ebay UK about 6 or 7 years ago for the princely sum of £17.

Social source share

I can only see 1 proper copy on popsike - sold for £232 in 2012. The rest look like the "re-issue" to me.

I know popsike only captures a sample of sales, but it's a fair indication of the general level of "traffic".

Interesting when you check some other oldies. You can get 2 or 3 pages of them selling for £600, £700....£1000.

I think this is a fantastic tune. It was a favorite when I first heard it in the 70's and remains so.

(If anyone put a copy up for sale at £500, I doubt it would hang about for too long)

Edited by bo diddley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Sorry I don't agree that it's very rare, before it suddenly became a flavour of the month about 4 years back, you could pick them up for £125, I had 3 just from people in the West Midlands here.  Yes it is hard to find now, but in real value, probably £250

I have to agree with you Pete, few years ago you could get it for £125, I saw it sold for that, Andy Dyson sold it for that at the Wilton. Then couple of years ago it was reactivated by a few, Butch being one and the demand and price shot up.  It might be tough to get a copy now but that is simply because people aren't selling, few years ago very few were interested in it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

It has fetched 400 odd and Kev Roberts offered 750 for one which is crazy.  It wasn't that long ago it was less than 200 but every man and his dog wants it now.......

:lamsey:

Had the original from J Anderson probably around 1975/76 £15 pounds i think and this 45 was easy to obtain .

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Pete your a genius 'spot on £250

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I can only see 1 proper copy on popsike - sold for £232 in 2012. The rest look like the "re-issue" to me.

I know popsike only captures a sample of sales, but it's a fair indication of the general level of "traffic".

Interesting when you check some other oldies. You can get 2 or 3 pages of them selling for £600, £700....£1000.

I think this is a fantastic tune. It was a favorite when I first heard it in the 70's and remains so.

(If anyone put a copy up for sale at £500, I doubt it would hang about for too long)

Highland Room Blackpool Mecca ( mr Levine)

Social source share

An original went through ebay as a pressing a few months back and a friend bought it for about £25 I think.  Someone who used to be on here but was banned.  Three times.

offtopic post by myself on paul leedon moved to more suitable thread

here are

apoligies for the interruption :thumbsup:

cheers

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share

If I had one of these for sale - which I have - what's anyone want to give me for it, bearing in mind I was only joking about £250  :D

That didn't hang about too long at £400 !! :ohmy:  :thumbsup:

As I said in post 16, I would have thought it would be snapped even at £500. Dead Cert for a rapid sale at £400.

Social source share

thanks guys for help on this one, think mine, if I remember correctly has a faint matrix stamp in the run out, not heard this mentioned.

Just have a look at the numbers in the run-out grooves.

It's the original if it has got "5444" on the a-side.

It's the bootleg if it has got "5544" on the a-side. 

Social source share

Hang on what about my on the money offer of £250?! I thought that was what this worth these days as it isn't rare?!

Well let's see, should I take your offer of £250 or someone's else's offer of £400, bit of a tricky decision that one...

Social source share

Had the original from J Anderson probably around 1975/76 £15 pounds i think and this 45 was easy to obtain .

Was speaking to John the other day and this came up in conversation. He had boxes of them so they must all be up in attics somewhere. No more than three or four quid back in the day!

Steve

Edited by soulman
Social source share

Ffs... it was one of Ian Levine's also rans....a spot filler before Lou Edwards, Ernest Mosley, James Fountain!

Most people that didn't go to The Mecca or Sale or wherever Ian and Colin Curtis played would not have known it, and at the time would not have bought a copy if it was available.

Let's stop the pretence, it is just another oldie that has been reactivated...a la Johnny Howard, Brothers Sisters and Cousins....that the nouveau collectors, attendees didn't have an inkling about.....the whole Northern Scene IS an oldies trip now.

The fraying at the edges has been caused by time and elements that were never there....everyone now wants to make a killing out of a carcass!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Go look for their other 45, way rarer and even better, was just in their hometown down in sunny FL last weekend but no luck (of course)

they have 4 45s. The most amusing an instrumental on the "Phart" label, catalog number 0069.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!