Motown Box Set Vol 2

Just got mine. Anybody know how many its limited to my box set is numbered 2121.Or and just to add The Four Tops track is badly warped.New box arrived today 10/06/14 The Isley Brothers is warped well that's it had enough no more for me.Universal yu shite.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

I take it Universal have learnt from the mistakes of Volume One, i.e. missing / duplicate records and poor quality pressings.  I've been putting off ordering this box set until it gets a thumbs up from customers, as the last one was a bit of a lottery.

Quite a warp on Isleys / Barbara McNair but plays fine. Otherwise all good (very bloody good actually),

• Helpful 1
Social source share

for the record,..universal weren't happy with the quality of the test pressings and had the set remastered. any other changes, i am pleasantly surprised by as should you all be. the isley brothers track has been available for 5 years now....the only legitimate unreleased track on the double anthology cd. i put richard onto bryan wells, who just happens to be the co-writer of this dynamic dancer..( along with the late ron miller ) he was completely gob smacked that the track had finally got recognition. oh, and just to confirm, it IS richard who has put this comp together again!... :thumbsup:

Social source share

My set landed on the door mat this week. Must say what a superb selection, every track is a winner and the quality is great.

i now have both sets and feel they are worth every penny to have this quality on 7" vinyl . The second set is worth getting for the Marvin Gaye track alone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This is currently showing on amazon, anyone know anything?  

"Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

"Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

Going by the customer reviews on Amazon, it doesn't look like Universal have improved much in the quality department.  I've got Volume One but don't know if I'm ready to spend my hard earned on Vol 2.  Compare these pressings with the recent Motown Early R & B LP released by Vee-Tone, and there just is no comparison, the latter being thick heavy vinyl which sounds great, despite the age of the original recordings.

Social source share

"Item Under Review

Amazon automatically stops selling the product and reviews it when they get a lot of returns on the said thing.

Social source share

Mine arrived this afternoon from Recordstore box #2497.

Having read about the quality issues I opened the box and played all the tracks and can report no problems whatsoever ( as was the case with volume 1 previously) so guess I'm lucky compared to others experiences.

Even my eldest who isn't particularly fond of the music commented on the decent sound quality ( he had no option but to listen as they went on full bore)

Well happy

Graham

Social source share

Hi just a quick question is each single numbered with each box number or does all the singles in every boxs have the same number.The reason might try and order 3 boxes to make one decent box and send 2 back.Thanks.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

Hi just a quick question is each single numbered with each box number or does all the singles in every boxs have the same number.The reason might try and order 3 boxes to make one decent box and send 2 back.Thanks.

My box is 1251

Singles are numbered 535 056-3 up to 535 056-9

Social source share

Sadly a few slightly dished and warped here too from Amazon, although they do seem slightly better quality vinyl than first one and all play loud and clear...Yes same numbering as above.

We all want these to be perfect and so we should, especially when other labels seem to manage it with new releases.

Quality gripes aside, I still love the concept for these box sets + great song choices, packaging / info booklet and the download card all combined still really good value I think.

I really do hope there's a top class 3rd set just in time for Christmas :thumbsup:

Social source share

I just ordered mine from Amazon an hour ago, no problems to report regarding delivery and will receive on Monday.

Yip lenny they have started to sell it again at a reduced price good luck mate hope yu get a goodin.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

Just got mine . Two are warped and two are dished. Number 000091. They're going back!

I bought them from here  https://www.recordst...e-2/3CGV0000000 and they cost £44.99.

I sent an email to customer services in order to get the free post address, so I could send them back!

This is what came back:-

Hi Kevin

I am sorry to hear that your item has arrived damaged.

I have today arranged for your order to be resent and you should be receiving this shortly.

There is no need to return the damaged item.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused by this delay.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Jasmin

Digital Stores Customer Services

Boom! That's what I call service

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just received my copy from Amazon that I paid the lower price of £37.62 for.  Will open tonight and check the condition, however I have noticed that the serial number (003015) is different from Volume 1 in so much as the first volume stated "No xxxx of 2000", whereas this doesn't say what the run is.  Anybody know what this edition will be limited to, or are Universal going to keep pressing them to meet demand?  I know there are a lot of "unlimited" editions of Volume 1 without the serial number.

Social source share

Just received my copy from Amazon that I paid the lower price of £37.62 for. Will open tonight and check the condition, however I have noticed that the serial number (003015) is different from Volume 1 in so much as the first volume stated "No xxxx of 2000", whereas this doesn't say what the run is. Anybody know what this edition will be limited to, or are Universal going to keep pressing them to meet demand? I know there are a lot of "unlimited" editions of Volume 1 without the serial number.[/quote

Me 2 both Isley Brothers warped thats four box sets ive had now all with warps.

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

Just taken delivery of my set from Amazon. My box is number is 000838.

All 14 tracks played through fine, no dished or warped records, but then I noticed that single two has the Stevie Wonder label on both sides :(. I doubt that I am alone in this, so those of you with 'perfect' sets may want to look again more closely.

Not exactly the end of the world, so overall I am very happy with the box I received.

Social source share

Wasn't going to buy Set 2 but weakened the other day when Amazon dropped the price to under £40,

Great service and super fast delivery, box arrived yesterday,

Today the box set is on it's way back to Amazon, 3 'dished' records and 1 of them (Four Tops) seriously warped,

Very disappointed, not trying another,

Social source share

Just received my copy from Amazon that I paid the lower price of £37.62 for.  Will open tonight and check the condition, however I have noticed that the serial number (003015) is different from Volume 1 in so much as the first volume stated "No xxxx of 2000", whereas this doesn't say what the run is.  Anybody know what this edition will be limited to, or are Universal going to keep pressing them to meet demand?  I know there are a lot of "unlimited" editions of Volume 1 without the serial number.

Have now opened the box and played through each side.  All present and correct, no warps, skips etc.  As mentioned in an earlier post, the record sleeves have gone from substantial glossy card affairs in Volume 1 to flimsy paper ones for Volume 2, but the sleeve notes are a vast improvement.  Maybe they'll get it spot on by Volume 3.

Social source share

Ordered mine at the weekend, came Tuesday and played about half, and just listened through to the others just now. Thankfully all play fine, no skips or warps, and all labels correct too. I was lucky with the first set too, but more worried this time as the issues were coming through by the time I ordered this one, sorry to hear about other people's problems though. Price was still full when I ordered. Set number 000523.

If a set 3 is to come out, especially as Richard comments on the notes that he held some class tracks back for set 2, maybe the key selling point could be that they are totally unreleased tracks? Never came out on 7", never an album track, no EP, and even no legal CD release either? This set is great, good variety, and great to have on 45's, but it's also great to hear stuff of this quality that never saw the light of day in any form.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!