What !? Jeff Floyd

Simon M

A Soul Bowl front page record, which for some reason I never bought. Was slightly more expensive than the regular releases of the time, but not priced as 'rare'. The standard stock new releases were £3.50 in 1984, with the rarer ones like Ron Henderson, Fabulous Playmates and Chuck Roberson at £15.

I've binned all my lists but think Jeff Floyd was a fiver. I wonder how many they had. I'm guessing a couple of hundred copies.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A Soul Bowl front page record, which for some reason I never bought. Was slightly more expensive than the regular releases of the time, but not priced as 'rare'. The standard stock new releases were £3.50 in 1984, with the rarer ones like Ron Henderson, Fabulous Playmates and Chuck Roberson at £15.

I've binned all my lists but think Jeff Floyd was a fiver. I wonder how many they had. I'm guessing a couple of hundred copies.

That might be the case, but those hundreds of copies sure don't come up for sale much these days.

Social source share

You're probably thinking of some other 45, this one didn't get a non-US release.

It's a very rare 45 that seldom turns up. This was definitely an extremely high price for the Jeff Floyd 45, but it has been massively in-demand over the past couple of years and few copies are hitting the market. There hasn't been a copy on eBay in 3 years apart from the one yesterday. And it's been five years since a copy complete with its picture sleeve was listed. A copy sold on SoulSource for £500 about three years ago. It has never sold on Discogs, but has got 132 "wants" for it.

"Don't Leave Me" is fabulous. Yes, the guitar solo as well. :D:thumbsup:

Yes, I think you're right. I've just checked my old want lists expecting to see this and it wasn't there, so I must be thinking about something else.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hello Gareth, hope all is well for you…...

Initial copies of Chuck Roberson and Ron Henderson were sold at around those prices Gareth,[normally with the label contact details removed/scratched out],however the Ron Henderson did appear at the normal [ for new releases] £3.50 afterwards.

The Fabulous Playmates was £5 as a new release I think Gareth. It was only listed one week as a New release  on the front page, sold out by the following week from memory. That came out towards the tail end of the glut of really good "Indie Soul" [as they had become known by then] stuff appearing in the early to mid 80s. I have to be honest but I don't remember Jeff Floyd at all from then. Listening to the Jeff Floyd again,its a decent" for the time "production I think but i can't be the only one who thinks so much of the 80s stuff[though not all of course] just sounds  awkward  these days ?

Weird how 60s 70s releases sound so much more fresh but I guess its just down to real instruments for me…….

Oh for a time machine !

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

You're probably thinking of some other 45, this one didn't get a non-US release.

It's a very rare 45 that seldom turns up. This was definitely an extremely high price for the Jeff Floyd 45, but it has been massively in-demand over the past couple of years and few copies are hitting the market. There hasn't been a copy on eBay in 3 years apart from the one yesterday. And it's been five years since a copy complete with its picture sleeve was listed. A copy sold on SoulSource for £500 about three years ago. It has never sold on Discogs, but has got 132 "wants" for it.

"Don't Leave Me" is fabulous. Yes, the guitar solo as well. :D:thumbsup:[/quote

totally agree and that's not because I got it cheap many many years ago! I'm pretty sure the bidders will have heard guitar solo etc and fully know the whole tune before they got to spending that kind of money (but it don't half grown on you) 132 discogs wants and 38 different ebay bidders says a lot!

Dave L

must admit though the pic sleeve isn't very desirable and probably held sales back!! Pity they didn't have the air brush technology back then

Edited by lfcjunkie
Social source share

Yes, I think you're right. I've just checked my old want lists expecting to see this and it wasn't there, so I must be thinking about something else.

Cheers

Mick

You have a list for old wants

Social source share

Doubt Soul Bowl had that many - that's where I purchased. Just because they made the front page / new release section did not mean J A had vast qty on these - would have thought around 50 ???   Gareth is correct on the source - not aware any other dealers had this at that time.....was never around even in the local area it came from . and no not for sale - as with most owners it's a keeper. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The figure was pure speculation on my part Glyn but it seemed to be listed for quite a long time, whereas other stuff–as Ivor mentions above–seemed to go pretty quickly, even at the higher prices.

Ivor's point about the record's sound is valid. In London at the time it seemed the really modern sounding stuff was going out of favour and the Crossover thing was the flavour of the month. Chicken and Egg I suppose. Many of us were looking towards older sounding stuff as the quality of the newer Indies seemed to bedropping off a cliff face.

A year earlier there were records coming in seemingly every week which still sound timeless today: Richard C, Johnny Dean, David Sea, Joseph Cotton, Willie Johnson, Tommy Tate, Veda, Daryl Pediford and on and on. By the time Sho-Nuff, Jeff Floyd, The Prize, etc. came along I got a feeling that this was the last stand for Classic Soul on 45 from tiny labels. By the following year I recall it being difficult to really regularly buy new soul singles from Soul Bowl, Record Corner etc. which were really any good, aside from those by already established artists. Everyone's experience will be different though.

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

You did need to bulk  out  your new buys with 70's   early 80's  at the time    . ( 1985 onwards )  but the more interesting DJ's   would program  the better 80's    that turned up

I dont remember  ,undanceable, Xover  coming into vogue  until Thorne  ?.  Plus     Early  80's   recordings  were still  turning up in 1988     "Hardest  part"      Halo    etc  etc

This  part of the scene does need   documenting  really ?

ps.   Good 80's  finds  are even turning up today :)

Edited by Simon M
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You did need to bulk  out  your new buys with 70's   early 80's  at the time    . ( 1985 onwards )  but the more interesting DJ's   would program  the better 80's    that turned up

I dont remember  ,undanceable, Xover  coming into vogue  until Thorne  ?.  Plus     Early  80's   recordings  were still  turning up in 1988     "Hardest  part"      Halo    etc  etc

ps.   Good 80's  finds  are even turning up today :)

When Gary Welsh ran Thorne that sort of stuff was played and it was never rammed.When Rod took over your right the undanceable x over came into vogue and the place was packed.

I once djed for Rod at Thorne and cleared the floor with RB Hudmon-"searching for your love" which would prob fetch stupid money now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Doubt Soul Bowl had that many - that's where I purchased. Just because they made the front page / new release section did not mean J A had vast qty on these - would have thought around 50 ???   Gareth is correct on the source - not aware any other dealers had this at that time.....was never around even in the local area it came from . and no not for sale - as with most owners it's a keeper. 

i agree with this. As a regular visitor to the West Winch barn in the early - mid 80s, the £3.50 stuff was usually 100-300 quantity. The more expensive front page stuff more likely 15-50 quantity…I didn't get it then, my copy came from Rod for £15 in the mid 90s…..time to give it a spin again….

Social source share

I agree. 

Yes, we should document early days of the modern scene through to the end of the 80s……the sounds, the faces etc. I don't mind doing a part of it…..just lack of time at the moment…..

Social source share

Most of the 80s stuff i see for sale as unknowns were played back then.Not many of us into that sort of stuff back then,Rock City for example was always fairly quiet.

First time i heard Ronnie Barnes it was like WOW!

Perhaps dealers should list them as known/unknowns.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe we had too many sounds back then .  Its odd that this  and  Henderson and Jones , plus  Crystal "Music"  are now fetching  $$$  when they only got the odd spin   back then.  Must be rare ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I dunno John did shift a lot of those new releases he was picking them up from all over the place…..lots of people were just buying them. I was buying twenty plus every month...….we were spoilt for choice looking back.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Agree with Steve G  re documentation  - was a project I had in the pipeline but the severe lack of interest when i asked for flyers assistance etc - and  a lack of time meant it's on the shelf for a rainy day . Have the outline draft of chapters and ideas but that is as far as I progressed . Also not sure it would sell ??

Social source share

John did keep saying  " These are the rareuns  of the future  "  maybe  it was sales talk   , I just wanted to be upfront  which was easy back then :g:

We were spoilt   Steve !   and  Sam  who had   only copies of things like Melvin Moore  at the time , hardly played em    for wanting to play the new buys !

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

And you had Luther Vandross Simon:-)

Remember sitting outside the dom polski club with Andy Etheridge when some random guy walked past with a dustbin which he put through a bus shelter window!He then dissappeared into the night

Edited by NCFC
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I just nipped up the loft - not sure Jeff Floyd is on any I have but here you go : who mentioned a time machine ?

marks are from the time ; mid / late 80's

Just look how some of those titles are now so in demand…..others not so……if only we had a crystal ball! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree with Steve G  re documentation  - was a project I had in the pipeline but the severe lack of interest when i asked for flyers assistance etc - and  a lack of time meant it's on the shelf for a rainy day . Have the outline draft of chapters and ideas but that is as far as I progressed . Also not sure it would sell ??

I am up for doing this, but need to get my Scepter books out first, then I have one other project just starting, so it's number three on the list……right now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stuart Cosgrove's  articles at the time gave an insite  into a few of the artists  , was it not  Richard C  on a whole page in  Echoes some time in 1984 ?

Yes and do you remember Mike Ward telling American hopefuls it was his article? One of them funny things…..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!