Interesting Website Here

Pete S

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Gino Washington 45 discography is mind-boggling and I would suggest that several of the items listed don't exist...also has anyone ever seen the Atac LP?

link

Yes,

Rod Shard had a couple of copies of the Atac LP through his shop in Manchesters Afflex palace in the 1990s.

Think he was knocking them out at about £50 - £70 a pop.

Wish I'd bought one now.

WOOF!

Social source share

Obscure R&B artists

Some good stuff there and also have a look at the discographies one if you get the chance, the Gino Washington 45 discography is mind-boggling and I would suggest that several of the items listed don't exist...also has anyone ever seen the Atac LP?

link

I've seen the album as well. Tim Ashibende had a copy for sale at one time.

Regards the 45 discography, that's acurate as well. Which do you think don't exist, and why Pete ?

Social source share

I've seen the album as well. Tim Ashibende had a copy for sale at one time.

Regards the 45 discography, that's acurate as well. Which do you think don't exist, and why Pete ?

link

I'd question these, especially the dates, and according to this there are 4 official releases of Rat Race from the 70's...you saying you agree with that?

DO-DE-RE ? GINO WASHINGTON Like My Baby (Instrumental) / I'll Be Around (When You Want Me) (Instrumental) 197?

DO-DE-RE ? GINO WASHINGTON Like My Baby / Like My Baby (Instrumental) 197?

ATAC 2830 (hand written label) GINO WASHINGTON (We're In A) Rat Race / Oh Not Me 1975

WASHPAN 854 GINO WASHINGTON (We're In A) Rat Race / Oh Not Me 197?

WASHPAN 32943 GINO WASHINGTON Rat Race / ? 197?

W.M.C. 358 GINO WASHINGTON Like My Baby (Instrumental) / Rat Race 197?

Edited by PeteStoneIsland
Social source share

I'd question these, especially the dates, and according to this there are 4 official releases of Rat Race from the 70's...you saying you agree with that?

DO-DE-RE ? GINO WASHINGTON Like My Baby (Instrumental) / I'll Be Around (When You Want Me) (Instrumental)  197?

DO-DE-RE ? GINO WASHINGTON Like My Baby / Like My Baby (Instrumental)  197?

ATAC 2830 (hand written label) GINO WASHINGTON (We're In A) Rat Race / Oh Not Me  1975

WASHPAN 854 GINO WASHINGTON (We're In A) Rat Race / Oh Not Me  197?

WASHPAN 32943 GINO WASHINGTON Rat Race / ?  197?

W.M.C. 358 GINO WASHINGTON Like My Baby (Instrumental) / Rat Race  197?

link

I'd have to agree with you Pete.

Only ever seen to my knowledge this release on DO-DE-RE WC-358 GINO WASHINGTON Gino Is A Coward / Like My Baby (Instrumental) and judging by the compiler's lack of information, no label number so has he/she.

WMC 358 to my knowledge is Like My Baby b/w Gino Is A Coward.

Never seen or even heard of the ATAC 2830 release.....has anyone else?????

I would have to say it's not accurate and based purely on hearsay (especially as there are no release numbers etc) and until see conclusive proof that they all exist I doubt I would be persuaded otherwise.

Reminiscent of the Just Brothers & Honey & Bees that are supposed to exist on Wand, until I see them I won't believe it whistling.gif

Social source share

It's all gone quiet in the Dudley area  whistling.gif

link

Some of us do have lives away from the PC, and have proper jobs as well :-)

I'll concede that the lack of dates do make it slightly dodgy looking, but here's the discog that Flynny and I came up with when we tried to work it all out chronologically.

There are definitely at least two release on De Do Re, but I can't remember which two I've seen.

The Atac 2830 is, as you'll note below, only rumoured, however it's a long standing rumour, and stands as much chance of being true as it is of being false. especially as there is a catalogue number allocated to the release as well.

Part of the problem with Gino Washington's discography is he owned the Atac label, so released things out of sequence / twice / under different names / as re-presses using the same number etc etc, so you can never be sure you've got it all right.

Having said that, nobody has proved that these records don't exist, and they wouldn't be in the discography if they didn't exist. So I'll stick by my original claim that the discog on that website is fairly good (the one below has more info in it though), until you can prove to me that it's wrong. Which brings me back to why I asked you why you thought it was wrong, if you had proof of it being wrong it would man I could amend my own discography, but it turns out that you don't, so it's just your opinion. In the end it's only your opinion against mine, but you're a Wolves fan, so I wouldn't place much faith in that :-)

Gino Washington

Correc-Tone 503 - I'm A Coward / Puppet On A String - 1962

Gino Washington & The Rochelles With The Atlantics

Amon 90580 - Out Of This World / Come Monkey With Me - 1963

Wand 147 - Out Of This World / Come Monkey With Me - 1964

Gino Washington

Bell Sound Studios, Inc. (No #) - Baby Be Mine / I'm Coming Home - 1964 (Acetate With Scepter Records And Titles Typed On Label Plus Date 4-13-64) Same Release As Below.

Wand 155 - Baby Be Mine / I'm Coming Home - 1964

Sonbert 3770 - Gino Is A Coward / Puppet On A String* - 1964 *Different Recording To The One On First 45.

Ric-Tic 100 - Gino Is A Coward / Puppet On A String - 1964

W. I. G. 9005 - Romeo / Now You're Lonely - 1966

W. I. G. 358 - Like My Baby (Instrumental) / I'll Be Around (When You Want Me) - ?

Creed 1051 - Romeo* / When You're Lonely - 1968 (*Backed By The Debonaires)

Gino Washington With The Altrasonics And The Versatones (Members

Mala 12,029 - Like My Baby / I'll Be Around (When You Want Me) - 1968

Gino Washington

Washpan 3122 - What Can A Man Do / (Instrumental) - 1968

Washpan 3124 - Do You Have That Soul / (Instrumental) - ?

Jumping Gino Washington

Washpan 32937 - Around The Town / Do The Frog - 1968

Gino Washington

Atac 101 - Doing The Popcorn / What Can A Man Do - 1969

Atac 102 - I'll Be Around (When You Want Me) / Like My Baby - 1969

Atac 7823 - I'll Be Around (When You Want Me) / Like My Baby - 1969

Atac 7825 - Doing The Popcorn / What Can A Man Do - 1969

Atac 127 - Lady Liberty / (Part 2) - ?

Pride 4 - (Oh) Not Me / (Oh) Not Me - 1970

Perfecta 2880 - Gino's Push And Pull / Hey Football - 1971

Perfecta 2880 - I Lost You / ? - 1971

Do-De-Re 358 - Gino Is A Coward / Like My Baby (Instrumental) - 1971 (Label Owned By Gino Washington)

Do De Re ? - Like My Baby / I'll Be Around (When You Want Me)* - ? (Both Tracks Are Instrumentals)

Do De Re ? - Like My Baby / Like My Baby (Instrumental) - ?

Atac 2743 - It's Winter / Foxy Walk - 1971 (Promo Issue Only - More Picture Sleeves Than Records Made)

Atac 2788 - I Been (Thru The Mill) /// I Been (Thru The Mill) / I Been (Thru The Mill) (Instrumental) - ? (12" Single Release - 331/3 Rpm)

Gino Washington And The Davis Sisters

Atac 2828 - I'm So In Love / Flying High - ?

Gino Washington

Atac 2829 - You Got Me In A Whirlpool / (Instrumental) (Part 2) - 1975

Atac 2830 - (We're In A) Rat Race / Oh Not Me - 1975 (Rumoured To Be Only Six Copies Made - All With A Hand Written Label)

Atac 2878 - Oh Not Me / Hey I'm A Love Bandit - 1976

Washpan 854 - Rat Race / Oh Not Me - ?

Washpan 32943 - Rat Race / ? - 197?

W. M. C. 358 - Like My Baby (Instrumental) / Rat Race - ?

Atac 2930 - Could It Be I'm Falling / I'm Flying High - ?

Sir George Washington (Gino Washington)

Atac 2930 - Could It Be I'm Falling In Love / I'm Flying High - 1977

Gino Wahington

Atac 3031 - (Oh) I'll Never Leave You / We Gonna Make It - 1978

Atac 6404 - What Can A Man Do / Doing The Popcorn - ?

Gino Washington & The G. W. Band

Atac 62743 - Hey I'm A Love Bandit / We Gonna Make It - 1981

Gino Washington

Atac 7826 - Girl Here I Am / Do You Have Soul - ?

Atac 7826 - Hey I'm A Love Bandit / ? - 1981 (Same Record Number Used Twice)

Atac 1943 - Sassa Frassa Sue / (Part 2) - 1983

Music Location 1002 - Look Into My Eyes / (Instrumental) - ?

Gino The Gamanisist

Atac 62743 - Heaven Must Have Known / Love's Interlude - 1985 (Same Record Number Used Twice)

Gino Washington & The Rochelles With The Atlantics

Norton 080 - Out Of This World / Come Monkey With Me /// Heartburn (Instrumental) / Come Monkey With Me (Instrumental) - ? (45rpm Release)

Lp's

Atac 2743 - Golden Hits Now - 1971

Tracks:

Norton 268 - Out Of This World - 1999

Tracks: Out Of This World / Gino Is A Coward / Around The Town / Baby Be Mine / I'm Coming Home / Romeo / Now You're Lonely / Come Monkey With Me / Puppet On A String / Do The Frog / What Can A Man Do / Do You Have That Soul / Like My Baby / I'll Be Around / I'm A Coward.

Norton 295 - Love Bandit - 2002 (Gino Washington Plus Various Artists)

Tracks: Hey I'm A Love Bandit / Puppet On A String / I Gotta Move On / 'Til The End Of Time / You Should Have Been True / Like My Baby / Everything Is Di-Jo-Be / Rat Race / Doing The Popcorn / Singing In The Rain / Foxy Walk / My Man - Pearl Jones / Please Stay / I Really Love You - Tomangoes / I Don't Want No Bald Headed Woman Telling Me What To Do - Nathaniel Mayer.

CD's

Atac At1943 - The Best Of A Detroit Legend - ?

Tracks: I'm A Coward / Gino Is A Coward / Out Of This World / What Can A Man Do / Puppet On A String / I'll Be Around / I Lost You /// You Got Me In A Whirlpool / Oh Not Me / Flying High / Now You're Lonely / Like My Baby / Girl Here I Am / Hey I'm A Love Bandit.

Norton 268 - Out Of This World - 1999

Tracks: Out Of This World / Gino Is A Coward / Around The Town / Baby Be Mine / I'm Coming Home / Romeo / Now You're Lonely / Come Monkey With Me / Puppet On A String / Do The Frog / What Can A Man Do / Do You Have That Soul / Like My Baby / I'll Be Around / I'm A Coward.

Norton 295 - Love Bandit - 2002 (Gino Washington Plus Various Artists)

Tracks: Hey I'm A Love Bandit / Puppet On A String / I Gotta Move On / 'Til The End Of Time / You Should Have Been True / Like My Baby / Everything Is Di-Jo-Be / Rat Race / Doing The Popcorn / Singing In The Rain / Foxy Walk / My Man - Pearl Jones / Please Stay / I Really Love You - Tomangoes / I Don't Want No Bald Headed Woman Telling Me What To Do - Nathaniel Mayer.

Social source share

I just don't think you can put things in a discog which don't exist - just because someone says they exist, thats no basis to argue that you're right Dave. I based what I said on having been around records for a long time, and I've never heard of many of these couplings - and certainly not seen them or handled them. These are what I have a problem with

Atac 2830 - (We're In A) Rat Race / Oh Not Me - 1975 (Rumoured To Be Only Six Copies Made - All With A Hand Written Label)

Washpan 854 - Rat Race / Oh Not Me - ?

Washpan 32943 - Rat Race / ? - 197?

W. M. C. 358 - Like My Baby (Instrumental) / Rat Race - ?

I have seen both the Do De Re versions of Like My Baby, one is an A side, one is an instrumental B side to Gino Is A Coward. I've actually got WMC 358 in front of me and it is Gino Is A Coward b/w Like My Baby instrumental...so there's one wrong for a start.

p.s. I had no idea you did the discography so don't make/take it personally

Social source share

I've actually got WMC 358 in front of me and it is Gino Is A Coward b/w Like My Baby instrumental...so there's one wrong for a start.

p.s. I had no idea you did the discography so don't make/take it personally

link

I didn't do the one on that site, but it's info like the above I'm after. It wasn't really meant as a criticism of you, it was a question. Why do you think it's wrong ?, I wanted answers like the above, so that I can amend the discog I've got.

I'd still question your judgement for being a Wolves fan though :-)

cheers

Social source share

Already updated the 'SKM' website and credited you Pete.

There's another 425 artist discographies and 153 label discographies on the site for you to have a look at when you've got the time.

Any additions / corrections gratefully received and credited.

(It's also a game anyone can play if they want to.)

Dave

Social source share

What's the Gino Washington acetate that Rob Thomas plays? It's an early 1970s thing: very 'modern soul'. Pretty good, too.

Also, I seem to recall Dave Thorley playing a Sir George Washington 45 in the early 1990s: is it another in addition to the one listed above? Anyone have any clues?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!