"love On A Lease Plan" - Johnnie Burke Or Johnnie Taylor

Can anybody confirm the artists on this .....is it Johnnie Taylor with an early connection to Don Davis, or legitimately Johnnie Burke?

thanks

Social source share

Just being played an old Searling tape....he says it's Johnnie Burke ..and then  remarks that it sounds like Taylor!!!

I seem to recall that an old Groovesville CD from Goldmine .....I'm sure it had Johnnie Taylor photo on sleeve.

Social source share

johnny taylor love on a lease plan was released on sevens with lv johnson got to get rid of you on the other side.

That's very true, but,

Was it legitimate, did Kev have the copyright?

maybe Kev can answer that one

Social source share

That's very true, but,

Was it legitimate, did Kev have the copyright?

maybe Kev can answer that one

Goldmine/Soul Supply were the exclusive licensee for Groovesville.

Love On A Lease Plan was an unreleased demo credited on the tape box to Johnnie Taylor. That's about it.

Social source share

I have a copy of the sevens so I'm pleased it's legit, especially after having been informed over the years (now wrongly) that it wasn't legit.

Has anyone any idea's on it's worth these days?

The last I heard it out was at Burnley allnighter a couple of years ago, not sure who played it, although, I think it was the acetate that was played.

Social source share

I have a copy of the sevens so I'm pleased it's legit, especially after having been informed over the years (now wrongly) that it wasn't legit.

The last I heard it out was at Burnley allnighter a couple of years ago, not sure who played it, although, I think it was the acetate that was played.

What's sound quality like Dekka?

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

I have the Joanne 45 with 'Love On A Lease Plan' A side and 'Me And My Baby' On the B side.

Social source share

Thanks for that mate. Maybe the acetate wasn't of a very high quality?

It wasn't but Kev says they had the tapes?  The acetate was around long before the sevens, Rob Marriott was playing it very late 80's early 90's, dunno where he got it from.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Chalky;

Rod Dearlove was involved in this arriving on seven, it was around the time of Thorne and Voices From The Shadows, it got a full review in the mag and was a huge Thorne spin for him, Defo legit as Rod wouldnt touch anything iffy. Give him a call, he'll have all the details.

Gouch

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky;

Rod Dearlove was involved in this arriving on seven, it was around the time of Thorne and Voices From The Shadows, it got a full review in the mag and was a huge Thorne spin for him, Defo legit as Rod wouldnt touch anything iffy. Give him a call, he'll have all the details.

Gouch

Ey up Bri...

I will drop him a message when I get chance.  Thorne spin for Rod would make it around 91? Might be where Rob got it from?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Chalky;

Gouch

That's right Brian ,i think there was 300 pressed legal and above board via Rod , it is definately not a bootleg - I think i was working at Brownys at the time and played it a bit at the time and i feel sure i would have sold Rob one who in turn will have cut it onto a dub to play out (very few if any on the northern scene picked up on it at the time ) and it would have  appeared more exclusive looking with one of Robs labels on when he dj'd  infact a similar story with the Spencer Wiggins - let's talk it over  around the same time... deffo J.Taylor  i think unissued stax era ? from memory anyways - two blinding sides either way !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This is very interesting. I've had this on a Goldmine demo for many years, but never played it out as I was assured that ALL Goldmine releases were bootlegs. If this is legit, then it meets OVO requirements, yes?

Any info much appreciated.

John

Social source share

This is very interesting. I've had this on a Goldmine demo for many years, but never played it out as I was assured that ALL Goldmine releases were bootlegs. If this is legit, then it meets OVO requirements, yes?

Any info much appreciated.

John

You assume wrong. 

Social source share

Clearly, though I never assumed, I have been assured, many times. So any idea which ones were legit

Assured by who? Let's not get off topic. I answered your question as to Love On A Lease Plan-Johnnie Taylor. :D

Any other concerns, try the former MD of Goldmine/Soul Supply Tim Brown. Very nice guy and I'm sure he will love to spend hours answering your questions :lol:

Social source share

Assured by who? Let's not get off topic. I answered your question as to Love On A Lease Plan-Johnnie Taylor. :D

Any other concerns, try the former MD of Goldmine/Soul Supply Tim Brown. Very nice guy and I'm sure he will love to spend hours answering your questions :lol:

Haha, ok point made. Thanks for the info on JT. To be honest, when I read your first piece it didn't click who you were. I don't think we've ever communicated before. I've not seen Tim in years, so I think I'll leave well alone.   :thumbsup:

ATB

John

Social source share

That's right Brian ,i think there was 300 pressed legal and above board via Rod , it is definately not a bootleg - I think i was working at Brownys at the time and played it a bit at the time and i feel sure i would have sold Rob one who in turn will have cut it onto a dub to play out (very few if any on the northern scene picked up on it at the time ) and it would have  appeared more exclusive looking with one of Robs labels on when he dj'd  infact a similar story with the Spencer Wiggins - let's talk it over  around the same time... deffo J.Taylor  i think unissued stax era ? from memory anyways - two blinding sides either way !

Andy:

If I knew how to load it up I would post up the original review done by Rod in Voices at the time and yes it is/was unissued Johnnie Taylor and it defo was a legal issue with royallties paid.

Gouch

Social source share

Andy:

If I knew how to load it up I would post up the original review done by Rod in Voices at the time and yes it is/was unissued Johnnie Taylor and it defo was a legal issue with royallties paid.

Gouch

Which issue is it Bri?  I will see if I have it and upload for you.

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2014 at 18:05, dekka said:

Would that have been Johnny Beggs?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!