Scotland Vs. England

Chalky

Between 2pm-2am on 11th December 2004, Souler Power proudly presents a

Scotland V England alldayer at the Taxi Driver's Sports & Social Club, Beaverhall Road, Edinburgh.

On the Scottish team - Kenny Burrell, Hammy, Keith Money, Fraser Dunn and Colin Law.

Representing England - Kev Murphy, Kitch, Dean Anderson, Chalky.

Other DJs to be confirmed shortly.

£8 in advance or £10 on the door. Book early to avoid disappointment. Email hammy@soulerpower.fsnet.co.uk or scottishsoul@tiscali.co.uk to reserve tickets.

• Replies 60
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Quality Chalkster thumbsup.gif and what a nice album you lifted your image from would fit nicely into the TRC thread.......

Trouty

link

Looks a good one Hammy, Chalky look forward to having a beer with you, even better for me as I have less than half a mile to stagger home.

Cheers

Jock

Great flyer Chalky and I presume with Striker chucking yer glad rags, you'll be in spencers too? thumbsup.gif

BTW the front should read SCOTLAND v ENGLAND ... the home team always goes first (sassenach tut! tut! :lol: )

Great flyer Chalky and I presume with Striker chucking yer glad rags,  you'll be in spencers too?  thumbsup.gif

BTW the front should read SCOTLAND v ENGLAND ... the home team always goes first (sassenach tut! tut!  :lol: )

link

All my fault as I designed the flyers - Mr Chalky is blameless !!!

Yeah - I am gonna have to switch the teams around.

Hammy

Really looking forward to this one... Jock look forward to meeting you, we can discuss Frank Popp  :thumbsup:

link

FRANK POPP ?

Has he got a Scottish granny ? :)

Hammy

Looks a good one Hammy, Chalky  look forward to having a beer with you, even better for me as I have less than half a mile to stagger home.

Cheers

Jock

link

Looking forward too it too Jock. Dunno where I'm staggering too after...shall after have words with the promoter :):thumbsup:

Edited by chalky

FRANK POPP ?

Has he got a Scottish granny ?  :)

Hammy

link

Actually, he does :thumbsup: and in honour of his Scottish ancestry I think you should ask him over for a special guest performance.. knowing how much you love his work :(

Actually, he does  :thumbsup: and in honour of his Scottish ancestry I think you should ask him over for a special guest performance.. knowing how much you love his work  :)

link

He sings and looks like a Scottish Granny, I will bring a cardboard cutout of him that I pinched from Germany to burn at midnight!! :(

And Rachel we shall talk about your normally excellent taste in music without mentioning Mr Poop! :)

Cheers

Jock

Jock, will catch up with you for a beer (hopefully) at this event.

Have had mega prob's trying to logon to SS for age's , never got the chance to reply to you when you asked if it was me in a previous thread months ago.

Bet you the Scotland vs England takes you back when you used to represent us Pict's in days gone by!! :thumbsup:

JG.

Anyone got a contact email for Calamity James ? lol

Hammy

link

Sure Hammy, it's jimleighton1@ochnotagain.com

:(:):thumbsup:

By the way, anyone who goes to this event must in for a cracking night judging by the line-up.

I'd love to make it, and support a fellow Yorkshireman in Chalky, but I'm just too poor at the moment. And paying for councilling for my vinyl addiction doesn't come cheap! :)

Jamie

Edited by Jamie

Hey Jamie - I have high hopes for Scotland once Brother Walter takes the helm lol

Actually - will be quite amusing to have Walter and Tommy in charge.

"That will be wan fae your team then wan fae mah team then keep gaun and stick the hertz goalie boy in at the end" thumbsup.gif

Hammy

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quite note to say that anyone travelling from afar for this would be best advised to purchase a ticket in advance to avoid disappointment as there has been a lot of advance interest in the even, plus you'll save cash as it's £8 in advance compared to £10 OTD.

I am finalising the English line up this week - so for we have 4 DJs confirmed and one more to add.

England: Chalky, Kev Murphy, Kitch, Dean Anderson

Scotland: Hammy, Colin Law, Kenny Burrell, Keith Money, Fraser Dunn

Really looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you on the 11th of December.

If anyone needs further information, drop me a line on hammy@soulerpower.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers

Hammy

Due to a late 'strain' :thumbsup::lol: in the England Camp, Colin Wood has been called up to the England Squad for the international fixture in Edinburgh. Colin passed a hastily arranged 'fitness test' today and is raring to go.

Colin has had a long career and this is his first time representing the England squad.

We,er, wish him well.

To recap:

England : Kitch, Dean Anderson, Chalky, Colin Wood, David Beckham

Regards

Hammy

Due to a late 'strain'  :lol:   :lol:   in the England Camp, Colin Wood has been called up to the England Squad  for the international fixture in Edinburgh. Colin passed a hastily arranged 'fitness test' today and is raring to go.

Colin has had a long career and this is his first time representing the England squad.

We,er, wish him well.

To recap:

England : Kitch, Dean Anderson, Chalky, Colin Wood, David Beckham

Regards

Hammy

link

Good addition to the team :lol: Not sure about that wanker.gif Beckham though :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky

SO THATS ONLY ONE SOUL SOURCER THEN. THATS COZ THEY'LL ALL BE AT THE BELMONT IN ABERDEEN TO HEAR DAVE THORLEY.

link

The choice of Kitch, Dean Anderson, Colin Wood, Eddie Engel, Moi, Kenny Burrell, Keith Money, Hammy, Colin Law and Fraser Dunn or Dave Thorley???? Hmmmm we'll see :D

Haven't you your own thread for shouting about Aberdeen or do you have to come on to something that appears to be more popular to get a word in thumbsup.gif

geez some folk are a bit touchy on here. whats wrong scared you're gonna have a wasted journey from Englandshire? Yeah we've seen them all In Scotland before but Dave Thorley can't remember him dj'ing up here.

link

Me scared :Dbiggrin.gif As for wasted journey, if I thought for a minute if would be wasted I wouldn't travel up there :D Only thing wasted will probably be me thumbsup.gif

Edited by chalky

i'm sure it won't be wasted if the Edinburgh lot can't turn out for a dj line up like that then theres not much hope for soul in Scotland. Just jealous coz us Aberdeen boys can't be there. Hae a guid nicht onyway. Thats have a good night in aberdonian.

i'm sure it won't be wasted if the Edinburgh lot can't turn out for a dj line up like that then theres not much hope for soul in Scotland. Just jealous coz us Aberdeen boys can't be there. Hae a guid nicht onyway. Thats have a good night in aberdonian.

link

Tis a pity they are on the same night. " 'ope thee av eur gran' neet wi' plent y o' beer" As we say in Yorkshire thumbsup.gif

Tis a pity they are on the same night.  " 'ope thee av eur gran' neet wi' plent y o' beer"  As we say in Yorkshire  thumbsup.gif

link

yeah it is a shame hammys do normally on the last Sat of the month but since thats xmas day had to be brought forward ah well shit happens

geez some folk are a bit touchy on here. whats wrong scared you're gonna have a wasted journey from Englandshire? Yeah we've seen them all In Scotland before but Dave Thorley can't remember him dj'ing up here.

link

Ask Dave Thorley about djing in Tranent with Adey Pountain and the village of beers, or about how djing in Fife nearly stopped him getting access to his daughter for a while, in short Thorley dj'd many times in the80's in Scotland. At least people down South have some excuse, if only a little, of forgetting the progressive Scottish scene of 80's and early nineties, so suggest you get someone who was there from Aberdeen (there were a few) to give you a history lesson.

Jock

A few points about the alldayer just to clear things up.

The date was not selected to clash with any other event - ask Ali Duff (co promoter) who booked the dates at the beginning of the year at the taxi club. 11th of December was the only date we could get for that month. I'd also like to point out that we CANCELLED a gig on the 27th of November on discovering that it clashed with The Bonnyrigg Soul Club's anniversary to preserve goodwill. You can only be flexible up to a point. People have clashed with our night before but my reaction has always been " c'est la vie" - it really can't be helped sometimes. There's rarely an agenda on these things. Maybe there aren't enough punters to go round but at the end of the day they will vote with their feet and go to the night of their choosing. As we are looking to hold fewer ( but more high profile events) at the taxi club next year, then that should free up some space in the scottish calendar for the benefit of all of us.

The choice to make December 11th an alldayer was based on several factors e.g. making it a Christmas party and a day to remember and, to be honest, to pull in a decent crowd. Aye, we've seen all these DJs before but they have records to die for and each one of them ( apart from me) has seen it, done it and got the t-shirt.

The Aberdeen crew have had many successful nights, have a loyal following and still - in my view - run the best night in Scotland. I'd never undermine them or seek to undermine them. God I must have been up there 15 times at least - although not so much this last year due to a family illness that some of you will no doubt know about. I've stayed in B&Bs, driven up and back in one night ( 260 miles round trip for a soul night!), and even kipped on a floor in Torry ( not for the feint hearted) I have no doubt they'll have another success on December 11th. Aberdeen punters like a more 'across the board' style of soul. It's not better, or worse - just a case of different strokes for different folks. I have no doubt it will be busy and successful. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Hammy

Ask Dave Thorley about djing in Tranent with Adey Pountain and the village of beers, or about how djing in Fife nearly stopped him getting access to his daughter for a while, in short Thorley dj'd many times in the80's in Scotland. At least people down South have some excuse, if only a little, of forgetting the progressive Scottish scene of 80's and early nineties, so suggest you get someone who was there from Aberdeen (there were a few) to give you a history lesson.

Jock

link

I never said that Dave Thorley hadn't dj'd in Scotland i just said can't remember him dj'ing up here the 80's was along time ago i was still at school in the 80's. why does everyone have to take things so fucking seriously on here i was having a laugh for fucks sake. If Aberdeen hadn't been on that night i would have been in Edinburgh and as i co run Aberdeen i can hardly go can i.

I never said that Dave Thorley hadn't dj'd in Scotland i just said can't remember him dj'ing up here the 80's was along time ago i was still at school in the 80's. why does everyone have to take things so fucking seriously on here i was having a laugh for fucks sake. If Aberdeen hadn't been on that night i would have been in Edinburgh and as i co run Aberdeen i can hardly go can i.

link

Hmm I was at school for most of the 70's, when I went, but know a lot about the history of the scene then, made it my goal when getting involved with the scene to learn its history!!

However reading my response I was a bit sharp, end of a long day and since I dont know you wrong of me to assume things, In my defence I will say its a pet hate of mine that on the scene these days there is a lot of people who are not interested on what went on before, particularly in Scotland, and history is rewritten, not knowing your humour wrong to assume that includes you. Just put it down to me being a grumpy old bastard.

Good thing is this will put thread back to top and promote both events.

Cheers

Jock

PS if you speak to Harry or Pepsi I am sure they will say I am good for a chuckle sometimes!!

Hmm I was at school for most of the 70's, when I went, but know a lot about the history of the scene then, made it my goal when getting involved with the scene to learn its history!!

However reading my response I was a bit sharp, end of a long day and since I dont know you wrong of me to assume things, In my defence I will say its a pet hate of mine that on the scene these days there is a lot of people who are not interested on what went on before, particularly in Scotland, and history is rewritten, not knowing your humour wrong to assume that includes you. Just put it down to me being a grumpy old bastard.

Good thing is this will put thread back to top and promote both events.

Cheers

Jock

PS if you speak to Harry or Pepsi I am sure they will say I am good for a chuckle sometimes!!

link

No you are a grumpy old bastard, So big H says anyway, couldn't get much sense outta Pepsi.

Wouldnt have minded traveling up with Dean and Kitch for this one, Fecking work commitments an all that again!!

Jock, drop me your email with your address

Cheers Byrney

Tubbs, realise you were jokin', but for what it's worth, Dave Thorley played Derek's Musselburgh all niter a few years back.

'98, I think.

Anyway, have a good one on Saturday.

Jock, see you at the Taxi Driver's ?

Should have a wee sales box :lol::D

Rob.

Must say i'm really looking forward to this one!

Can honestly say i've had some of my best nights ever in Scotland over the years.

Can still see Alan Walls Jumping from the Shot's stage to give the dance floor a right old pounding.

Nothing too unusual about that you may say.

THERE IS WHEN YOU'RE THE ONE DJing AT THE TIME!!!

It was a bloody high stage 'n all!

Pete Lawson in the record bar in nothing but his thermal vest & his y fronts! (complete with gravy stains). Sorry, and a pair of highly polished brogues!

Complete mayhem.......Loved it!!

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

It's our 11th wedding anniversary as well on Saturday and we'll be spending it the same way as we spent our wedding night........

Hot & sweaty ........ with a hall full of raving mad jocks!

CAN'T WAIT!!

See ya Saturday.

Loads,

Joan xxx

Tubbs, realise you were jokin', but for what it's worth, Dave Thorley played Derek's Musselburgh all niter a few years back.

'98, I think.

Anyway, have a good one on Saturday.

Jock, see you at the Taxi Driver's ?

Should have a wee sales box :)   :D

Rob.

link

Hi Rob will see you there, will be good to meet you. I am on a no buying mission at the moment so will be trying to avoid all sales boxes, however given your recent lists may be forced to look at yours!!

Forgotten about the sales cd you sent me, had some trouble listening as it would only play on pc but there were 3 or 4 titles I wanted, will try and dig it out before tomorrow and can give you a list of the titles there.

Cheers

Jock

Can honestly say i've had some of my best nights ever in Scotland over the years.

See ya Saturday.

Loads,

Joan  xxx

link

Hi Joan look forward to seeing you and Tony again. Remember the time at Glenrothes when you me and Ady Harley were given a row for singing whilst dancing as according to Jim O we were drowning out the music!! Happy days, I am a bit more reserved now however!!

C U tomorrow.

Jock