Motown Tracks That Never Received A Us 7" Issue

Motown actually released The Four Tops version of "The Last Train To Clarksville on a single"???  Why did they even record THAT???  Next thing I'll hear is that they also recorded "Pushin' Too Hard" and "Inna Gadda Da Vida" (however it is spelt!).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Motown actually released The Four Tops version of "The Last Train To Clarksville on a single"???  Why did they even record THAT???  Next thing I'll hear is that they also recorded "Pushin' Too Hard" and "Inna Gadda Da Vida" (however it is spelt!).

The Tops recorded "...Last Train..." as album filler.

Believe it or not, that same album ("Reach Out") has another Monkees song on it- "I'm A Believer".

Social source share

The Tops recorded "...Last Train..." as album filler.

Believe it or not, that same album ("Reach Out") has another Monkees song on it- "I'm A Believer".

Ha! Ha!  I've got that album!  I bought it when it was new.  No WONDER I never play it!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the place to post a list of tracks that never received a 7" issue in the US, yet gained one in other parts of the world, be it 45rpm or 33rpm/EPs...

Here's a few starters....

Argentina:

attachicon.gif10302746_10202189945964445_7604178836882527130_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10363800_10202190004045897_2309482070732183335_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10366117_10202190059767290_1062257346048378947_n.jpg

Italy:

attachicon.gif10409929_10202194371195073_467789742_n.jpg

translations please

kev

Social source share

Last Train to Clarksville-Four Tops

Good lovin'-Elgins

A Favor For A Girl-Brenda Holloway

Where To Go?  -Stevie Wonder  -Don't know this exact title as I don't know music past 1971 or so.  Titles will NOT be direct word for word translation - only the gist (basic idea).

I'm Not an Angel - Stevie Wonder

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

David ruffin/i cant stop the rain

temptations/law of the land

j walker/i aint go in no where

martha reeves/no one there

bobby womack/so many sides

Sure theres loads more but to early to think.

Law Of The Land came out on 45 and was a hit

Sorry just realised it had to be USA

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Here's the place to post a list of tracks that never received a 7" issue in the US, yet gained one in other parts of the world, be it 45rpm or 33rpm/EPs...

Here's a few starters....

Argentina:

attachicon.gif10302746_10202189945964445_7604178836882527130_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10363800_10202190004045897_2309482070732183335_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10366117_10202190059767290_1062257346048378947_n.jpg

Italy:

attachicon.gif10409929_10202194371195073_467789742_n.jpg

But why would they release songs with foreign language titles in the U.S. anyway ? :thumbup:

Social source share

Where To Go?  -Stevie Wonder  -Don't know this exact title as I don't know music past 1971 or so.  Titles will NOT be direct word for word translation - only the gist (basic idea).

I'm Not an Angel - Stevie Wonder

Travelin ' Man

I'm Wondering

At least one of which is sung in Italian.

Social source share

Travelin ' Man

I'm Wondering

At least one of which is sung in Italian.

"I'm Wondering" is translated to "I'm Not an Angel", and "Travelin ' Man" to "Where To Go?",  Man, I've heard of artistic license, but that is ridiculous!  They must have used Babelfish to perform those translations!!! :D

Social source share

The fantastic  "Need Someone" - Marvin Gaye. (Hidden Gem Alert!)

U.S.A. album track and UK Motown single.  Flip of  "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" on the first issue U.K. release!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

UK releases not released in US - off the top of my head

Jimmy Ruffin - I will never let you get away - TMG 922 (not issued in any form in US) - fantastic under rated dancer

Contours - Baby Hit And Run 

Smokey & The Miracles - We can make it we can

Isley Brothers - Put yourself in my place / it's out of the question / Little miss sweetness

Eligins - It's gonna be hard times

Gladys Knight - No one could love you more

Marv Johnson - Bad girl /So glad you chose me

Marvelettes - Reachin' for something I can't have / When you're young and in love

Supremes & Temptations - Uptight

Earl Van Dyke - All for you

San Remo Strings - Reach out I'll be there

Edited by Ringleader
Social source share

NORWAY :

Tamla_Motown_TMK-123-A_.gifTamla_Motown_TMK-123-B_.gif

"Stop Her On Sight" was released with a picture sleeve in Sweden as well.

Both the norwegian and swedish picture sleeves had the SWEDEN pressed 45 inside.

The mix on this 45 is different from all other 45 releases of this track as far as I know. It's as if they used the stereo mix to master the single, but only ended up using one of the channels!

SWEDEN picture sleeve:

post-1392-0-28061500-1401522164_thumb.jp

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I didn't think we were being that picky in this thread. The same goes for "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson then. It's also promo only in the US.

I had a stock issue of "Do I Love You" by Frank Wilson in my office for over 5 years, so I know that it was pressed.  If you are using the reasoning that the record was "pulled" and the stockers never really got to shops (which I am fairly sure is true), then I believe the same thing happened to Soul 35019's DJ pressings. 

I've never heard that any of them ever got to DJs.  The record certainly wasn't played in Chicago, L.A. Detroit, St. Louis or San Francisco Bay Area in the 6 months after the two press runs.  I think they ran a press test run of a box of 25, and Berry made his decision not to release the record before the real DJ press run occurred.  Otherwise, there would be a reasonable number of DJ issues from all 3 regional plants used by Motown at that time, and loads would have made it to the thrift stores like they did for all the other Motown records issued in late 1965/early '66.  The number of DJ issues of that record known to exist can be counted on the fingers of one hand, just as the stockers.  I think both were extremely small test runs only, or decent sized runs with almost all destroyed BEFORE  they got into outsiders' hands.  Otherwise we'd have a LOT more.  I saw hundreds of DJ copies of ALL the released records.  Only the pulled back records (Soul 35019, Tamla 54106, 54108, and VIP 25006) didn't have DJS in big numbers.

I contend that Soul 35019 was NOT "promo only" in US, but was neither stock nor promo, or, if you want to consider being pressed in any number but never sold nor aloowed by DJS to be played as "issued", then Soul 35019 would not qualify for being "DJ" only, as at least some store stockers were pressed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

gladys knight- Ain't you glad you chose love - phillipines

willie hutch -i'm gonna stay - italy

marvin gaye - there goes my baby - france

supremes - honey bee - france

jr walker - three four three - holland

supremes and four tops - ain't no mountain high enough - holland

edwin starr - i just wanted to cry - germany

Edited by bri pinch
  • Helpful 1
Social source share