The Thinking Man's Oldies # 10

You lost me there

The one Pete has listed was found in Max Kidds basement and was totally blank

It was covered as Keni Lewis due to the shrine connection 

If you are referring to my spelling of Kenny then I hold spell check responsible for that,  as it don't like Keni 

Not trying to claim that my spelling is any good as in general its rather preposterous. 

Social source share

Maybe...have to understand who these are aimed at though...so many people from abroad download these, they won't know half the tracks we know

And also I never tire of it, doesn't matter how often I hear it, and I love both versions, such a great well written soulful track.

Social source share

Please forgive my ignorance of non-Detroit/Chicago recent previously unreleased NS discoveries.   But please tell me who sang this "Not The Marrying Kind" (covered up as by Keni Lewis)?  I've heard the video audio on You-Tube, but don't recognise the voice.  Was it another unreleased Shrine recording (it sounds too "clean" to be that)?

Social source share

Please forgive my ignorance of non-Detroit/Chicago recent previously unreleased NS discoveries.   But please tell me who sang this "Not The Marrying Kind" (covered up as by Keni Lewis)?  I've heard the video audio on You-Tube, but don't recognise the voice.  Was it another unreleased Shrine recording (it sounds too "clean" to be that)?

I don't think we know who it is singing, uncredited acetate and as said found in Maxx Kidd's basement by Andy Rix.  Andy might be able to tell us more.

Social source share

I don't think we know who it is singing, uncredited acetate and as said found in Maxx Kidd's basement by Andy Rix.  Andy might be able to tell us more.

So, it might then have been an unreleased recording originally destined for Maxx Records?  The sound is appropriate for that time period.

Social source share

Pete S

Thanks for this set...didn't realise there were more...so I did some digging and found previous sets.

Really good....got most stuff but always looking for a new track or two

thanks once again

Social source share

Pete S

Thanks for this set...didn't realise there were more...so I did some digging and found previous sets.

Really good....got most stuff but always looking for a new track or two

thanks once again

Yeah there's about 220 podcasts up there!

Social source share

Guest east rob

I heard it could be L.J. Reynolds, whoever it is, it's a great tune. :yes:

Social source share

I heard it could be L.J. Reynolds, whoever it is, it's a great tune. :yes:

The recording in question sounds like 1965-66.  Or, at the very latest, 1967.  Didn't Carl Kidd work out of Washington , DC and New York?  Did L.J. Reynolds record on the East Coast as early as 1966 or 1967?  I only know of his Detroit recordings.  Born in 1953, he'd have been only 13 to 14 years old when that recording was made.  That singer sounds like an adult to me.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Andy wasn't on the trip when the so called Keni Lewis was found though Im sure he would of been the brains behind it.

John Poole actually found it and the record went to Rob Thomas (who was present) &  Andy Rix as it was there contact 

In my opinion this was one of the greatest turn ups in Northern soul history and I believe Kitch now owns it

As stated it was un-named and I have heard the L J Reynaulds link before. Rob Thomas told me he had tracked down the artist

and gave me a Italian name (I since forgot) I think he was pulling my leg. 

Hopefully Andy can throw some more light on this 

Social source share

Great!!! Thanks for posting these Pete. Hope you do some more of the podcasts of soul from the early days.

I will Geoff, it's just getting the chance to do it, since I bought the new Mac, the program I use for doing the podcasts has stopped working and won't work with this latest version of Mac software, meaning I have to do it on a clunky, slow windows machine...very frustrating

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!