Oh Dear... Northern Dance Lessons On Radio 2

I didn't read it either, as I want to retain my sanity.

me neither, short attention span these days, I just can't cope with directions, instructions or even names.  I'd sooner dance like a gurning knobhead anyway, and bytheway, I'm usually  the only one with a beard doing it, so you can't miss me

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I hear you Matt. I picked up watching in the clubs. In fact I will remembering my buddy who passed away earlier this year at the Hull event on Saturday night. What he couldn't do on the floor without any teacher! 

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Although I appreciate the lady (or whoever that may choose to hold these lessons) means well, to me, Northern Soul dance lessons are just ‘wrong, wrong, wrong’

I remember my first few nighters at The Fleet in Peterborough, I didn’t dance at all because I was too scared to  - and I like that!

A while later I was at Loughborough Town Hall (1985) and it took  what seemed like an age for my mates (all older than me) to ‘lure’ me onto the dance floor - I felt a right pr*t (and more than likely looked liked one) but my mates simply smiled, and eventually I found my own way realising that it didn't actually matter - That is one of the special things of the Scene (or was)

Even today, some 30 years later, I still much prefer to find a DARK corner, and do ‘whatever I do’ - It is not about ‘looking good’

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

I see both myself and my namesake from up north like this among others and rightly so.It was never ever about lessons but about finding your own way and it didnt matter how good or not you became it was and should still be all about the "Soul", the "Soul", in each and every one of us and what the sound of the soul that we hear inspires in us and moves us in whatever way it may.Long may it be so that one of the special things about "Our scene", because after all it is "Our scene",not the exclusive preserve of any single promoter or person who wishes to use the scene to purely and cynically get "Rich",or so they may think by", bandwagon jumping" such jumping in my book being,"Paid for dancing lessons!",one of the special things being finding your own way no matter without the need for or inclination to seek out dancing lessons may this one of those special things remain.Soulful music will move you for myself and many more of us that is how it was and is and will be unless any thing happens to prevent us walking even but then we will still have a wheelchair to move about in for many of us I am pretty sure it will still be the same if we find ourselves in such a situation at any time in the future it will still be a case of"Cant be still!".The periscopes,wigan walkers,acrobats ,shufflers its all good out on the floor it doesnt matter how the music inspires you to move its just all good that it does whether that be in a dark corner or up there in front of the stage go for it.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

My Dancing lessons where watching  the great dancers in Notts ,when I was a lad ,and that's how us old boys learnt ,My spot on the floor is in the middle ,preferably when no one else is dancing  :lol:  :yes:

Bazza 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest NorthNotts

Little Simmo from Notts, watch him dance, got his own style, loves to move and respects the old way!

Social source share

I see both myself and my namesake from up north like this among others and rightly so.It was never ever about lessons but about finding your own way and it didnt matter how good or not you became it was and should still be all about the "Soul", the "Soul", in each and every one of us and what the sound of the soul that we hear inspires in us and moves us in whatever way it may.Long may it be so that one of the special things about "Our scene", because after all it is "Our scene",not the exclusive preserve of any single promoter or person who wishes to use the scene to purely and cynically get "Rich",or so they may think by", bandwagon jumping" such jumping in my book being,"Paid for dancing lessons!",one of the special things being finding your own way no matter without the need for or inclination to seek out dancing lessons may this one of those special things remain.Soulful music will move you for myself and many more of us that is how it was and is and will be unless any thing happens to prevent us walking even but then we will still have a wheelchair to move about in for many of us I am pretty sure it will still be the same if we find ourselves in such a situation at any time in the future it will still be a case of"Cant be still!".The periscopes,wigan walkers,acrobats ,shufflers its all good out on the floor it doesnt matter how the music inspires you to move its just all good that it does whether that be in a dark corner or up there in front of the stage go for it.

Sums it up Manus - and Len's words on finding a "dark corner" and doing "Whatever I do". it's a personal thing and the idea of "dance instructors" churning out people with exactly the same style feels really strange and alien to the Soul scene I grew up on. 

Cheers

Manus ( the other one)

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!