Oh Dear... Northern Dance Lessons On Radio 2

Come on Pete its taken dance int the realms of an ology and Genetics

There mission statement is also very exciting with the formation of Dance crews and such like: Are you so hard to please and excite! :wink: Even bloody lovely Aperitifs at the end of the night! 

Northern Soul is most definitely a part of our cultural background, and has always been a part of Three Stroke Productions' genetics. So we were only too pleased, and proud to support the Northern Soul Dance Society, in their latest event that took place on the 24th of May 2012 in Anguillara - a small and wonderful city on the Bracciano Lake not far from Rome.

Not new to high quality Northern Soul dedicated events, the Soul O'Sessions Dance Crew, in collaboration with Sharon Sullivan Finch of the Danceology School of Leeds in the UK, organised a video shoot with the aim to releasing a professional Northern Soul dance tutorial DVD. Running several courses in her School, most of them dedicated to NorthernSoul Dance Society UK, forming an highly and successful NS school near Leeds, Sharon Finch was the perfect choice for such an ambitious project.

Sharon, along with the S.O'S. Dance Crew, and dancers, enjoyed an eventful workshop supported musically with DJ sets from some of the top Italian NS DJs on the scene today (Gabriele from R.I.T.C - Stefano from Nuts!Lite - Giorgio from Roma Modernist). The evening ended with aperitifs and drinks all round.

I never went to NS School Paul, that's probably why I don't get it  :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I never went to NS School Paul, that's probably why I don't get it  :(

Think Pauls tongue was firmly in his cheek Pete!

Social source share

Rave was exactly the same in the early 9ts, We all threw away the airhorns and whistles and got into serious house music. 

Preston Street Dancers got there first with the airhorns & whistles at Clifton Hall circa 1980, it was quite amusing going to raves 15 years later and seeing ravers thinking they were groundbreaking.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

There was an almost overnight split from the horns and whistle and the cooler crowd on the rave scene. Venus in Nottingham is the best example - one week DJ Sy playing for the hardcore massive, a couple of weeks later sacked and cooler DJs employed playing House, New Jersey, Balearic etc were running the roost.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Where you can qualify with a certificate in Div-ology

A certificate that appears to be as easy to aquire as a World Norvun Dance Trophy given the number of practitioners one sees these days.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Where you can qualify with a certificate in Div-ology

You've got an ology?

You're a scientist !

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Certainly an odd thing to have on Radio though.....unless they filmed it for their archives maybe? And why now?

Social source share

Preston Street Dancers got there first with the airhorns & whistles at Clifton Hall circa 1980, it was quite amusing going to raves 15 years later and seeing ravers thinking they were groundbreaking.

I'm sure I remember some of the Mecca crowd with whistles at the Ritz about '77-'78

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Certainly an odd thing to have on Radio though.....unless they filmed it for their archives maybe? And why now?

They seem to film all their radio shows these days. You can watch lots of Radio 4 shows on iplayer.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Actually, I was asked at an event to show some dance ideas to three ladies who could dance, but wanted to improve. Do you think it was wrong of me to engage and tell them a few secrets like, most of the songs are 4/4 time, have very emotive rhythm sections with great drum fills/crashes and sweetening that you could improve your steps too and look like a right old clever dick? They were a little tipsy, but one of them really picked it up but let her self down by asking why that bloke over there smells and keeps chucking talc all over the place.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

think the essex boys from the jazz funk scene were at it too down at Caister and the lacey lady in Canvey island 

Social source share

There was an almost overnight split from the horns and whistle and the cooler crowd on the rave scene. Venus in Nottingham is the best example - one week DJ Sy playing for the hardcore massive, a couple of weeks later sacked and cooler DJs employed playing House, New Jersey, Balearic etc were running the roost.

when the hac reopended mid 91 my mate got his air horn confiscated at the door, Shay jones was the biggest tune of the night, house got a bow tie that night, we all started wearing proper shirts again! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was out last weekend when a group of ladies walked in and one of them said to the other,  have you been to one of these before. Woman Said no.  She was then told. You will need to get some dance lessons its great you will love it.   I had to smile and not one of them actually danced that I noticed. Is it really that intimidating the dancing or just a myth that you have to dance a certain way ??

I wish it was intimidating to venture on to the dance floor at allnighters. it certainly used to be! that's what I found anyway. there used to be some real characters (scary and otherwise to a young lad) who would let you know if you were "in their space" or just letting you know the score and I made sure I listened to them (especially the boggle eyed gurners lol!).its all become very watered down and sanitised at some venues. I would ask where have all the characters gone but I fear I may know the answer :-(

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I know :-)

Thought you might, as I'm damn sure yours was when you replied, but had to check just in case the alzheimers had kicked in and you hadnt realised...

:P

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Mark and Donna - In recent weeks I have seen a few characters of which I guess, most of us are at some times. I think there is a territory on the dance floor at certain times with certain songs. They make the dancing interesting.

I may contradict myself here from what I have previously said on other posts re the dancing, so forgive me if this may seem the wrong thing to say. The notion of somebody teaching dance in any form is of interest to me. Whether classic dance or soul dancing. I call it soul dancing, not Northern Soul dancing, because some of my steps originated in Hull before I knew of the term NS, Yes, I have adapted over the years as I like to experiment, so I have routines, with certain records and with what dance space I occupy at certain times. For example, if do not know the song, but don't mind it, or has triplets or an unusual drum riff, I stick in a cha cha cha now and then and impress the bar staff! When I am tired for example, I slow down and do a different step to save energy for later songs I may like. I am not 20 anymore. But.....on a serious note about teaching people to dance whether on Youtube or a DVD, the first thing I would emphasise is not to take glasses of drink onto a dance floor and dance, or even cross the dance floor carrying them from the bar without some consideration for those dancing, especially the acrobatic style moves done by some. It's leathal. I have seen so many accidents with smashed glass all over the place etc, plus the sticky contents. Then there is the talc brigade who like to puff the stuff all over the place landing on expensive collectable records and making the dance floor now two surfaces rather than one. It amounts to putting oil on the floor! Also as much as I agree in principle to many comments on Soul Source about dancing should come from the soul and be picked up watching others perform, I think some do need to be taught the basics....and when I mean basics, that is not to wave arms and elbows around when in close contact with others on a busy floor and more important, not to stand on others feet and toes constantly. As for showing the steps, well...personally I like to see others performing at events, Prestatyn, for example, or on Youtube. And if I can learn a trick or two...happy days. I know for sure, I watch some dancers and wonder how on earth they can move their two left feet and keep in rhythm....but they somehow do and have a great time, but...there is one particular dancer who insists on doing a high kick in the air with people close by...and it is dangerous. I nearly lost a finger with him when he did his Bruce Lee impression next to me. Totally unecessary. Maybe if the floor was a little empty, fine and it would look passionate etc. 

So, is anybody interested if I do a DVD? And do I take it too seriously - yes!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

They have it the wrong way round. You have to love the music first then that makes you want to dance.

I quite fancy ballroom dancing because of the nice intimate nature, but couldn't cope with the music!

Totaly agree with you

All the best Granny fiddler

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I'm sure I remember some of the Mecca crowd with whistles at the Ritz about '77-'78

wonder why i only went to the ritz  only once

Disco poop

Social source share

Don't know if anyone caught this but it's now on t'Interweb for all to see and, once again it's embarrasing.Tuesday morning Zoe Ball stood in for Chris Evans on his breakfast show and had Sharon Sullivan (Who?) teaching her how to "dance" Northern by giving her instructions over the phone. 2 munutes and 20 seconds of cringeworthiness and then the final shot is of all the studio staff getting their rocks off to Frankie Vallie's "The Night"...... I'm sorry but that is the final nail in the Northern Soul coffin.  :dash2:  FFS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zv4zb

Final nail :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .. 

Plenty more to come yet.... These topics will dwarf " OVO "....

That Sharon  woman aint got what i call SOUL........

This is soul.... I bet she can't do the flying slipper.....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Strange that those amongst our number are critical of Sharon for teaching others to get by on a NS dance floor have been blessed with so much natural rhythm and grace, they were able to trip the lightening fantastic without being shown a step by anyone. I sometimes observe these elegant dancers on Friday and Saturday evenings at NS events; their movement on the dance floor is comparable to the Peter Kay 'uncle knobhead' routine. 

Sharon is being helpful by teaching newcomers how to avoid performing the 'Uncle Knobhead' set; dance with consideration to others by avoiding stamping all over other dancers. If she helps those without confidence venture onto the dance floor and avoid making a fool of themselves then more power to her elbow. 

Perhaps those who are critical of teaching should attend a dance studio where they can observe their own movement on the dance floor from the mirrors on the wall and it may dawn on them....... they dance like Uncle knobhead.

Next weekend I will practice my uncle knobhead routine on the dance floor, but I am comforted in the knowledge I will be in the company of several others performing a similar routine with all the grace of a drunken elephant on whizz.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

That Uncle is all over the place! I agree it's strange to criticise individuals who want to help others who have two left feet...and clearly are passionate about dancing.

I dance to feel good, keep my weight down, because I hate going to the gym, and to look good. I am an extravert. Last Saturday night I was thanked by another dancer as I left, for dancing the way I did and I would assume it was because he enjoyed it hopefully. And in Manchester 2 ladies came up to me at the end of the evening and said they thought my routines were good and great to watch. Why, because I put time and effort into what I do because I enjoy it. I do it for me in the first instance. I dance at home and try different steps to see if they work and practice at events where I have the room early on in the evening. But I step up first as a rule on the dance floor, so need to look as though I am not that famous Uncle. Maybe to some, I look awful, conceited, arrogant...so what, they are right..yet, they watch and often try to mimic, especially the three step left/right that I picked up in Hull 1973 when I was 17. I have a weak right side and by pushing myself on certain songs to improve my balance, the look and feel of the dance, I hope to improve my performance. I absolutely love it and when the right song, like 'The Right Track' comes on...it's ecstasy.....I am on another planet.

The three step is a great basic soul step (I call it just a basic loaf of bread with nothing added). With a 4/4 song (four crotchets to the bar) at about 125bpm (like The Right Track/Billy Butler), stand with feet together. On the odd beats the feet/leg moves outwards and on the evens move in. Your anchor starts/finish is feet together in the middle. So typically if you start to the left 1,2 (1 out, 2 in) then right (3 out, 4 in), you will end up with your feet back in the middle. Simply put the slight bounce in your step which is a combination of flats of feet/heels and skewing the feet slightly depending on which way you go - you will feel comfortable for it to be correct. Coming back into the centre the feet must be flat and turn slightly as though 'pushing' yourself back to your middle position. If you really want to get that left/right slide effect, try and keep your feet flat on the floor as much as possible. If you want to really really get that good bounce and slide effect you have to extend the outbound steps (the odd numbers) because that will over extend intentionally, and make you struggle back to the centre, but what it does is totally animates the step and looks great as you try and keep in time with the music. That's the basic loaf of bread, but it you want to add anything, for example, go right (on right heal), and left leg/foot behind right, then slide right foot out further to right, then pick up and start going left...you have cracked it....well, how I do it, which to some maybe crap! 

If you read that, congratulations, you just had a dance lesson on the internet. If you read it twice, you are curious and like dancing. If you read it more than twice and stood up and tried it, you love dancing and want to improve (or see how crap I am)! The most important thing its meant to be fun. Nobody takes the p**s face to face about somebody's dancing at a venue, so why would anyone want to do it on a forum..especially when we all have something in common?

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

That Uncle is all over the place! I agree it's strange to criticise individuals who want to help others who have two left feet...and clearly are passionate about dancing.

I dance to feel good, keep my weight down, because I hate going to the gym, and to look good. I am an extravert. Last Saturday night I was thanked by another dancer as I left, for dancing the way I did and I would assume it was because he enjoyed it hopefully. And in Manchester 2 ladies came up to me at the end of the evening and said they thought my routines were good and great to watch. Why, because I put time and effort into what I do because I enjoy it. I do it for me in the first instance. I dance at home and try different steps to see if they work and practice at events where I have the room early on in the evening. But I step up first as a rule on the dance floor, so need to look as though I am not that famous Uncle. Maybe to some, I look awful, conceited, arrogant...so what, they are right..yet, they watch and often try to mimic, especially the three step left/right that I picked up in Hull 1973 when I was 17. I have a weak right side and by pushing myself on certain songs to improve my balance, the look and feel of the dance, I hope to improve my performance. I absolutely love it and when the right song, like 'The Right Track' comes on...it's ecstasy.....I am on another planet.

The three step is a great basic soul step (I call it just a basic loaf of bread with nothing added). With a 4/4 song (four crotchets to the bar) at about 125bpm (like The Right Track/Billy Butler), stand with feet together. On the odd beats the feet/leg moves outwards and on the evens move in. Your anchor starts/finish is feet together in the middle. So typically if you start to the left 1,2 (1 out, 2 in) then right (3 out, 4 in), you will end up with your feet back in the middle. Simply put the slight bounce in your step which is a combination of flats of feet/heels and skewing the feet slightly depending on which way you go - you will feel comfortable for it to be correct. Coming back into the centre the feet must be flat and turn slightly as though 'pushing' yourself back to your middle position. If you really want to get that left/right slide effect, try and keep your feet flat on the floor as much as possible. If you want to really really get that good bounce and slide effect you have to extend the outbound steps (the odd numbers) because that will over extend intentionally, and make you struggle back to the centre, but what it does is totally animates the step and looks great as you try and keep in time with the music. That's the basic loaf of bread, but it you want to add anything, for example, go right (on right heal), and left leg/foot behind right, then slide right foot out further to right, then pick up and start going left...you have cracked it....well, how I do it, which to some maybe crap! 

If you read that, congratulations, you just had a dance lesson on the internet. If you read it twice, you are curious and like dancing. If you read it more than twice and stood up and tried it, you love dancing and want to improve (or see how crap I am)! The most important thing its meant to be fun. Nobody takes the p**s face to face about somebody's dancing at a venue, so why would anyone want to do it on a forum..especially when we all have something in common?

I didn't read it, as I have a problem with authority, and want to remain 'a rebel without a clue' :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Strange that those amongst our number are critical of Sharon for teaching others to get by on a NS dance floor have been blessed with so much natural rhythm and grace, they were able to trip the lightening fantastic without being shown a step by anyone. I sometimes observe these elegant dancers on Friday and Saturday evenings at NS events; their movement on the dance floor is comparable to the Peter Kay 'uncle knobhead' routine. 

Sharon is being helpful by teaching newcomers how to avoid performing the 'Uncle Knobhead' set; dance with consideration to others by avoiding stamping all over other dancers. If she helps those without confidence venture onto the dance floor and avoid making a fool of themselves then more power to her elbow. 

Perhaps those who are critical of teaching should attend a dance studio where they can observe their own movement on the dance floor from the mirrors on the wall and it may dawn on them....... they dance like Uncle knobhead.

Next weekend I will practice my uncle knobhead routine on the dance floor, but I am comforted in the knowledge I will be in the company of several others performing a similar routine with all the grace of a drunken elephant on whizz.  

Funny because I never thought dancing to northern soul was ever about trying to be brilliant, or avoiding looking like a fool or 'uncle knobhead' as you seem to enjoy describing it.

Personally I'd rather be a bad dancer, with my own style, who loves and enjoys the music because it touches my soul and makes me move, rather than some robot who has been taught the dance moves, regardless of the music, because I'm scared of making a fool of myself.

Give me 'uncle knobhead' over 'soulless robot' any day of the week.

Social source share

Funny because I never thought dancing to northern soul was ever about trying to be brilliant, or avoiding looking like a fool or 'uncle knobhead' as you seem to enjoy describing it.

Personally I'd rather be a bad dancer, with my own style, who loves and enjoys the music because it touches my soul and makes me move, rather than some robot who has been taught the dance moves, regardless of the music, because I'm scared of making a fool of myself.

Give me 'uncle knobhead' over 'soulless robot' any day of the week.

What's it like to be successful Matt :) :)

I AM ONLY JOKING, JUST COULDN'T LET THE OPPORTUNITY GO X

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I've got a great routine to this fantastic 'Real Thing' track called Plastic man (this is the original version we used to dance to in the very early 70's). The bit where they sing la-la  la-la la la la la....and 'take a look at yourself...are you flesh and blood or just clay?'...you'd love it. It's all spontaneous, in time, and thoughful. Music like that just makes me feel like dancing....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I meant to mention, if you are on the dance floor and are finding the groove slightly complicated which sometimes happens with some rarer 60's soul, try clapping your hands on the 2 and 4, or even finger snaps. Yes, I know they tend to be 4/4 but they have allosrts of things going on a bit like 'Am I the same girl/Give it away' for example.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What's it like to be successful Matt :) :)

I AM ONLY JOKING, JUST COULDN'T LET THE OPPORTUNITY GO X

Obviously I wasn't talking about myself Win. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Matt, be honest....you are curious aren't you? I can tell by the response..your puffed out, you've been practising my moves in the living room haven't you?

I remember when I was young being asked to go and dance (ballroom) with partners etc in the 1960's, and used to make every excuse under the sun not to, because I was embarrassed. 'I would rather sit down and watch' I used to say. And as somebody said on here earlier about intimidation, I guess it was back then, just like today. Each to their own, but without the characters making the music, writing the songs, playing the records or dancing, it would be pretty dull wouldn't it! If we were all the same ...can you imagine! Thanks for the pm's though. The answer is if I did do: 1080/50p, stereo where I could, yes, 'Tell me'/Spyder Turner would be on there, and Lesson One would be about walking over a dance floor holding three full drinks and expecting the dancers to move out the way followed by a lesson in rhythm, understanding timing, and lip syncing the lyrics effectively to help stop people looking at your bad dancing lower down before you get a little better! 

This is a great thread. I can tell an embarrassed dancer a mile away. Well done to those who have the initiative to want to learn and not afraid to ask. It does really make me feel like dancing!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

This thread is funny. This morning I have sent a song clearance request to SonyATV Music because I want to do a cover version of an old White Plains song from around 1970. I love those old UK produced melodic songs and thought I would have a bash. I have recorded, mixed and mastered best I can, but when I need a break I open up Soul Source for a stimulating conversation and my god, I get it. It's very stimulating.....I bet we would all get on great at an event together. You probably couldn't keep us off the dance floor. 

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

This thread is funny. This morning I have sent a song clearance request to SonyATV Music because I want to do a cover version of an old White Plains song from around 1970. I love those old UK produced melodic songs and thought I would have a bash. I have recorded, mixed and mastered best I can, but when I need a break I open up Soul Source for a stimulating conversation and my god, I get it. It's very stimulating.....I bet we would all get on great at an event together. You probably couldn't keep us off the dance floor. 

You'd have to tie me to my seat.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I can see by the interest below that individuals are coming out of their shell and want to experiment:

Some have been on this thread for hours which clearly means thay are trying those steps I mentioned. What a thrill!

Mike, Have I gone overboard or shall I continue?
Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

I can see by the interest below that individuals are coming out of their shell and want to experiment:

Some have been on this thread for hours which clearly means thay are trying those steps I mentioned. What a thrill!

Mike, Have I gone overboard or shall I continue?

you lost me about 5 posts ago Carl

as now you are posting people viewing the thread

maybe then  it is time for you to step away from the thread  ...

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Duly noted gentleman. I think I have made my point. Some of you are hard nuts to crack but really are pussycats. I look forward to the next 'dance' orientated thread where I can express my self soulfully, not too much like a robot and with a pepper of humour (even though clearly is unpopular to some). 

Dave R, that's a rather derogatory remark regarding medication. I do hope you are not try to be offensive, especially as you address the remark as 'he'. 

Social source share

Duly noted gentleman. I think I have made my point. Some of you are hard nuts to crack but really are pussycats. I look forward to the next 'dance' orientated thread where I can express my self soulfully, not too much like a robot and with a pepper of humour (even though clearly is unpopular to some). 

Dave R, that's a rather derogatory remark regarding medication. I do hope you are not try to be offensive, especially as you address the remark as 'he'. 

I agree, I'll remove it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I meant to mention, if you are on the dance floor and are finding the groove slightly complicated which sometimes happens with some rarer 60's soul, try clapping your hands on the 2 and 4, or even finger snaps. Yes, I know they tend to be 4/4 but they have allosrts of things going on a bit like 'Am I the same girl/Give it away' for example.

Carl I don't agree with much of what you have said,,there is no such thing as a N/soul dance moving around trying to look like everyone else is not dancing,The bit I highlighted is true,many fastish tunes have in between beats,pick out the one that suits and dance to it ,rather than jump about trying to keep up with the more obvious fast beat

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

The most interesting dancers are the one's with there own style

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

But Bazza, if somebody asked you to help them with some ideas, because they needed a hand and were not a confident dancer, would you say no? I said early without the characters it wouldn't be interesting also. I have been asked..and always reciprocate with glee.

Ironically, at the bottom of this thread there is an advert for a dancing school called crescendomusicacademye18.co.uk

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

But Bazza, if somebody asked you to help them with some ideas, because they needed a hand and were not a confident dancer, would you say no? I said early without the characters it wouldn't be interesting also. I have been asked..and always reciprocate with glee.

Well Carl,no I wouldn't  :no: ,mainly because I dance differently to each tune ,I feel the beat I feel the emotion ,I dance to the record ,not just to the beat so I would find it impossible show anyone cos I don't know how I am going to move from one minute to the next or from one record to the next

Bazza 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I have no idea where this thread is going but here's my take, again. The majority of people get into the scene, go along to events, start to love the music and start dancing. At first nobody is any good, but over time and moved by the music they get better and better (well mostly). In answer to Carl's question, I would have no problem helping someone who needed a few tips if they had been on the scene for a bit and had really had a go for themselves already.

My problem is, all these dance classes look like people learning the moves first before falling in love with the music and feeling it move them. I've watched some of these videos on YouTube, the students are so busy listening to instructions and trying to get the footwork right that it could be the sound of a pneumatic drill in the background for all they care. The music is secondary. It's the wrong way around in my opinion.

Social source share

I've got a great routine to this fantastic 'Real Thing' track called Plastic man (this is the original version we used to dance to in the very early 70's). The bit where they sing la-la  la-la la la la la....and 'take a look at yourself...are you flesh and blood or just clay?'...you'd love it. It's all spontaneous, in time, and thoughful. Music like that just makes me feel like dancing....

Reminds me of those awful World Disco Dancing competitions circa 1979.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!