L V Johnson - Groovesville

The recent Johnnie Taylor Groovesville thread got me thinking about the stuff that came out of the same batch of finds.  The following LV Jihnson track is my favourite. Anyone else hear the similarity to Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You. First heard this on the Car Radio (Might have been R. Searling's early 90s(?) Had to pull over so I could write it down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TwFjmmZx1Q

Another Groovesville outing done by LV is this one. Also really like this too. Matches JJ Barnes for my money. He also did JJ's flip too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ48-6OgjHY

Anyway... just thought it worthwhile posting these great record as they seemed to get overlooked at the time but would seem ripe for some of the gigs nowadays.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Searling played "Recipe" regularly.....he featured the u/i  Groovesville stuff over several weeks. Just been playing tapes of that period.  That's why i started the Johnnie Taylor thread.

Good conversation regarding Edwin Starr "Has it happened to you yet" on them. Some thought Edwin had recorded over " Sweet Sherry" in the UK circa 1991.

Confirmed that it was at the end of the original tape......found by mistake.

Got all the Groovesville CDs.....clearly many were just demos, trials, alternate takes, but some good stuff did emerge from them "Recipe" one of the best.

Social source share

2 beauties Dave you could probably hear at the likes of Horse and Groom Doncaster and Just Soul Barnby Moor, defo ripe for those 2 venues. See the likeness to DB but I have also at times likened him to William "Wee Gee" Howard and LJ Reynolds, great post

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Searling played "Recipe" regularly.....he featured the u/i  Groovesville stuff over several weeks. Just been playing tapes of that period.  That's why i started the Johnnie Taylor thread.

Good conversation regarding Edwin Starr "Has it happened to you yet" on them. Some thought Edwin had recorded over " Sweet Sherry" in the UK circa 1991.

Confirmed that it was at the end of the original tape......found by mistake.

Got all the Groovesville CDs.....clearly many were just demos, trials, alternate takes, but some good stuff did emerge from them "Recipe" one of the best.

Yep, I remember the Edwin Starr, found as an existing track on a channel that had been dubbed onto the same tape or something like that. I bought them all on vinyl, TB was good enough to produce most of them as demos as well as issues so bonus. ;-)  

Groovesville-Solid Hitbound. = Crème de la crème.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Yes……. really great tracks. The only downside is they look so unattractive as records.  Always really bugged me how people who reissue/license original material cant pick a more aesthetically pleasing label seeing as the only people interested in this music are collectors[and surely most collectors would rather have a nice looking label ?…….].Is it really so hard to do some nice artwork ? 

All a bit of a shame really.

Social source share

Met a guy in Detroit who had connections to ex Motown acts (Bill Barron I think).

He took us on a tour of Outer Detroit...mainly to see Berry's old mansion, Levi's house, Aretha  etc etc.

I recall him pointing out "Groovesville Studios"....it seemed to be just a corner block.....not sure if there was any occupancy there.
My visit was February 1991............I distinctly remember Mr Barron telling me that "All the Groovesville stuff is being released".(or words to that effect)..

I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me......I've always assumed it was the material on those Goldmine CDs.

It's in the time frame..

Social source share

'Recipe' still a fave spin at quality venues for sure.

I've said it loads of times but to me this was THE best thing Goldmine ever put out

Cheers

Steve

So it's better than Heart Trouble, Lou Pride, Bobby Hutton, John Bowie, Edwin Starr, Arin Demain, L Allen, Frank Beverly, Tobi Legend, Mel Britt, Sam Dees, Darrell Banks, James Fountain, Epitome Of Sound, Gwen Owens, Melvin davis, Jimmy Mack, Voices Of East Harlem, John & The Weirdest, Sheppards, Salvadors....do me a favour!

The 'Recipe' record has remained unplayed in my collection for around 12 years I think...and I remember why after listening to it

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

So it's better than Heart Trouble, Lou Pride, Bobby Hutton, John Bowie, Edwin Starr, Arin Demain, L Allen, Frank Beverly, Tobi Legend, Mel Britt, Sam Dees, Darrell Banks, James Fountain, Epitome Of Sound, Gwen Owens, Melvin davis, Jimmy Mack, Voices Of East Harlem, John & The Weirdest, Sheppards, Salvadors....do me a favour!

The 'Recipe' record has remained unplayed in my collection for around 12 years I think...and I remember why after listening to it

No, sorry Pete, didn't make myself clear

Of course it's not better than those tracks above, be daft to think that???????

Of the original unissued material goldmine put out (to which there's loads of great stuff) this TO ME was their best release

Is that clearer?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

No, sorry Pete, didn't make myself clear

Of course it's not better than those tracks above, be daft to think that???????

Of the original unissued material goldmine put out (to which there's loads of great stuff) this TO ME was their best release

Is that clearer?

Cheers

Steve

Morning Steve  :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!