The Night - Frankie Valli - Tamla Motown

Just Found a Copy of "The Night" Frankie Valli " in a Charity shop , Ive Had a Few on mowest over the years but never on Tamla Motown .. Was it  Originally out of a Boxed Set ? ...Paul

:hatsoff2: HI ALL..... A few years back now, I was at a car boot sale when a dealer offered me the TAMLA MOTOWN ISSUE, He was gutted when I told him that it was not worth any more than the MOWEST RE-ISSUE #24.

As I have all the various UK DEMOS & ISSUES of the track, I am 100% sure, the rarest is the #02 blank, #02 1 sided #02 issue, #24 1 sided demo #24 reissue, then the TAMLA MOTOWN 2nd reissue, hard to value any of them as the market is always changing, the 1st issue blank is at a guess £100+ :g: DAVE K

Social source share

dave the mowest 3024 issue would be the commonest.. it did make no 7 in the uk charts and sold 100.000 copies

:hatsoff2: Hi All, I would go along with that however most people would prefer a MOWEST copy, although a DEMO of the TAMLA MOTOWN issue would be nice also quite rare? DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just out of curiosity ,was it getting played in 1972 ? And do you think it got reissued in 76 because of the popularity on the soul scene...paul

:hatsoff2: HI  the only play in 72 was at SELECTA DISC LEICESTER SHOP, I have a list with it on and quote as being tailor made for the rare soul scene, there may well be other shops,  but it flopped, not quite sure about the US original as I seem to recall seeing it on list in 1970? why it flopped I don't have any idea but once it got a few plays, it really was a big un at Wigan :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

As far as I can recall, and I may be wrong, Alan Rhodes was playing "The Night" before it went big for Russ at Wigan.

I think Alan Rhodes used to deejay at a club in York- 'The Hypnotique'. I think he may have discovered quite a few things, or played them first; e.g. Sisters Love on MoWest.

He may have been a UK collector also.

I think he may have done some time behind the decks at Wigan too.

Apologies if I am wide of the mark.....but it was a long time ago now!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!