Jimmie Ellis Happy To Be

Guest soulcamper

Guest soulcamper

Can someone help me out in identifying how I can clearly differentiate the difference between an original copy and one of the many repro copies that are currently on offer?  Whilst accepting that the repros are sold by genuine dealers at £10-£15. If a copy is on sale for a more realistic price, what clearly differentiates an orig from a fake?

Social source share

Hasnt it got one of those star things printed on it if its a reissue

Don't think it has Rob judging from attached scan from an Ebay listing. I've attached a scan of an original from Popsike to compare. No idea about deadwax though. Original on JM's auction went for over £400 this week which seems reasonable for a great tune like this? 

post-19579-0-82628800-1401441479_thumb.j

post-19579-0-70237700-1401441767_thumb.j

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

hmm, That is a close one. just from knowing what my own one looks like I'd pick the left one as the reissue because the type font for title/artist  is slightly elongated - but still subtle difference. Unless I've got it wrong !! :lol:

Social source share

Fairly sure mine is an original,  had it about 8 or 9 years now,     It Has  CCR  511 A  stamped in deadwax   and  a small capital  H  further around the deadwax   :thumbsup:

Didn't realise it was fetching £400 ,  thought it was never more than  £300 ,  but it is  JM Auction  !!!

Social source share

Fairly sure mine is an original,  had it about 8 or 9 years now,     It Has  CCR  511 A  stamped in deadwax   and  a small capital  H  further around the deadwax   :thumbsup:

Didn't realise it was fetching £400 ,  thought it was never more than  £300 ,  but it is  JM Auction  !!!

Correction - It was actually auctioned for £377, but condition was Mint- 

Social source share

The Gap between the Jimmie Ellis and the line under Century City Records  is greater than the other (based on your scans) and there is no white line above the Century City Records either. it may be small differences but it does make it different.

I will assume the RH scan is the original, as that's what mine looks like from memory ( to lazy to go and dig it out and double check) hope this helps???

Personally I effin hate these lookalikes, it's ok for those with knowledge perhaps but as time goes by these "big tune" lookalikes will fool the unsuspecting even more methinks.

OVO is one thing but soon we'll have venues spinning OLO !!!!! :g:

Dave H.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did I read somewhere that Jimmy Ellis was the lead singer of The Trammps?

totally different Jimmy Ellis.   a little bit of useless info, the Guitarist on "Happy To Be" was so down and out at the time that Tom Cross (the writer, and guy that funded the production of this 45 out of his own pocket) had to buy him a new set of guitar strings. This Jimmy "preacher" Ellis track was arranged by HB Barnum. Tom Cross doesnt know anything about the bootleg that turned up last year? or so his son told me.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

totally different Jimmy Ellis.   a little bit of useless info, the Guitarist on "Happy To Be" was so down and out at the time that Tom Cross (the writer, and guy that funded the production of this 45 out of his own pocket) had to buy him a new set of guitar strings. This Jimmy "preacher" Ellis track was arranged by HB Barnum. Tom Cross doesnt know anything about the bootleg that turned up last year? or so his son told me.

Steve

Hi Steve, yes mate, the great Jimmy Ellis of the Trammps sadly passed away last year, fantastic singer in a fantastic group, was the other Jimmy Ellis also a boxer

Best

Kev

Social source share

Steve

And both (and the boxer, as well), were also different from James Ellis, lead singer of The Satintones.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!