Barbara & Gwen - Right On

Hi guys, 

Another label comparison question to follow up on my Curtis, the Brothers one. 

Whats the difference (aside from the misprint) of the following two issues of the Funk/B-Boy record, Right On?

Are they both legit?

I'm not aware of it being booted.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

post-22431-0-06783100-1401469629_thumb.j

post-22431-0-64828900-1401469637_thumb.j

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

From the looks of them, both pressings look legitimate.  I resided in Chicago part-time during the year that was out, and saw it new.   The ZTSC 142000 series is Columbia Midwest correct pressing code for that year (1968).  It is properly a styrene pressing, which is what Columbia Midwest used.  The red/orange labelled pressing uses a font used by a local Chicago pressing plant in 1968-69.  I have several Al-Tog and Chicago Music Bag records using that design.  The black print is too solid and strong over the background colour to have come from a photo.   I really doubt that there would have been enough demand tp boot such a record.  I'm sure Bob A.  will agree.  He probably has a copy of that, particular pressing in any case.  If memory serves me, the design on the left was, by far, the more common of the two.  Actually, I don't remember having seen the Columbia pressing (although that is clearly legitimate (that look of styrene, paper, font and how the label is attached to the plastic, from the late '60s, and how it wore and degraded over those 35-45 years, couldn't be faked/reproduced).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

big hit in chicago, the styrene design on the right is by far the more common version actually. i think there's another vinyl label variation but might be confused.

There is one with the credit as 'Barabara Gwen' - missing out the '&' when I first got it I thought it was one person and that was her name

• Helpful 1
Social source share

big hit in chicago, the styrene design on the right is by far the more common version actually. i think there's another vinyl label variation but might be confused.

I'm sure you are right, Bob.  I remember seeing a different vinyl issue from a local Chicago plant that had the correct spelling of "on".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!