Captain Beefheart Does Otis Redding

i can't stand zappa, doing fake versions of other genres, proving how musicially "smart" he is, for an audience that would never listen to the real thing. beefheart is listenable when doing original sounds like on trout mast replica.

that said, this track is decent.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i can't stand zappa, doing fake versions of other genres, proving how musicially "smart" he is, for an audience that would never listen to the real thing. beefheart is listenable when doing original sounds like on trout mast replica.

that said, this track is decent.

I can't believe I'm defending him, but Zappa had a real background in doo wop / R&B - later on in his career he did it more tongue-in-cheek, but the appreciation was always there

not sure about his fans though

Social source share

I can't believe I'm defending him, but Zappa had a real background in doo wop / R&B - later on in his career he did it more tongue-in-cheek, but the appreciation was always there

not sure about his fans though

maybe he really appreciated it but all that matters is the end product and the reception.

i see i wrote "mast" instead of "mask", that was a typo before anyone makes fun of me for that

• Helpful 1
Social source share

beefheart is listenable when doing original sounds like on trout mast replica.

I found that to be one of the most unlistenable LP's I've ever had the misfortune to attempt to listen to.  Nearly as bad as Dark Side Of The Moon.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I found that to be one of the most unlistenable LP's I've ever had the misfortune to attempt to listen to.  Nearly as bad as Dark Side Of The Moon.

i respect your opinion, it's not for everybody. but at least it's original and not some rock guy doing fake doowop tracks. terrible is better than mediocre and bad.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had the LP 'safe as Milk' with this track on since i was about 15 years old. On a cheap label costing about 0.99p. Curiously named 'safe as milk' because as soon as my teenage daughter started to discover music, it's the first one she nicked out the box... Ade

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

the budget version of Safe As Milk I have came out on Marble Arch and like a lot of those releases had two tracks missing - one of which was this track - 'I'm Glad '  !!! It was sometime before I realised what I was missing!

Mike, your mention of the Marble Arch reminds me of the "This Is Jimmy James & the Vagabonds" album.

Jimmy also cut "I'm Glad" and as far as I know was unissued 

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Mike, your mention of the Marble Arch reminds me of the "This Is Jimmy James & the Vagabonds" album.

Jimmy also cut "I'm Glad" and as far as I know was unissued 

I'll set 'em up Dave - you hit 'em!    I'd forgot about that - nice version - wonder how it came about and why unissued?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I'll set 'em up Dave - you hit 'em!    I'd forgot about that - nice version - wonder how it came about and why unissued?

Not sure what the connection was Mike. In fact looking around the net I'm actually wondering if this really is Jimmy James & the Vagabonds".

A tenuous link I know but Beefheart was playing Andy Warhol's New York Ondine discotheque around 1966 where "Jimmy James & the Blue Flames (aka Jimmy Hendrix) were resident band.

So I wonder if this was Hendrix's band, although and not for the first time I may be way off base here as I would have thought Hendrix cutting it would be well documented.

EDITED

Forget the above Mike, it's a load of bollox. Trying to be a Sunday Sport jounalist with a scoop :lol:

The link is I'm sure Peter Meaden who managed Jimmy James & the Vagabonds and he also had connections with Beefheart

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!