Carstairs Verification

slimharpo

Can anyone tell me please whether my copy of It Really Hurts Me Girl is a boot? I bought it many years ago but having heard of so many boots I thought I'd get it checked. I don't have many rare records (sob) so I haven't got Manship's bible.

My copy is an issue, pink label. It has a small fr in the runout wax+ rc2857 and a d later on.

I'm also after a copy of Ramsey Lewis - Day Tripper/Hurt So Bad on UK chess in nice condition if anyone has one.

Cheers, Slim.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think all the pink issues are legit represses which John Anderson had done. The only original as the sterling stamped white demos. The issues are therefore reissues but are still sold as originals, because they sort of are, as the record never actually got past the WDJ stage.

Social source share

I think all the pink issues are legit represses which John Anderson had done.  The only original as the sterling stamped white demos.  The issues are therefore reissues but are still sold as originals, because they sort of are, as the record never actually got past the WDJ stage.

link

My understanding is as Pete says - was never originally issued, although the pink copies are a later legit re-press. So to be safe, get a demo with STERLING stamped in the deadwax!

R

Social source share

and look out for the white DJ bootleg with sterling sound scratched in - it's on vinyl, and the sound quality is poor

Am I really the only person on the ns scene who hates this record???  I think of it as the start of a downward spiral  :lol:

link

Can't say I agree with you Pete. :lol:

I can think of a lot of records before this appeared IMVHO. (covered on another thread)

I think it would be unfair to pin something like that on The Carstairs. I agree I'm not too fussed about hearing it played out now. But remember how it used to make me feel. I think if a tune is played to death it does have that effect on you.

Still a magical tune for me, though quite a few years from 're-activation' so-to-speak.

Jamie whistling.gif

Social source share

My understanding is as Pete says - was never originally issued, although the pink copies are a later legit re-press. So to be safe, get a demo with STERLING stamped in the deadwax!

R

link

Yep thats basically it....should have made it clearer in my origianl post that the counterfeit/origianl were W/Demo's.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

What I mean is that it helped open the door to an avelanche of second rate 70's tunes which still persist today  :angry:

link

STONE HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Am I really the only person on the ns scene who hates this record???  I think of it as the start of a downward spiral  whistling.gif

link

Yep, you probably are!

Carstairs was never a record that "split the scene" - at least not in the way that James Fountain, Johnny C and Snoopy Dean did. As I recall, it was widely and enthusiastically embraced - mostly because of tortured vocals fitted right in next to the likes of The Tomagoes etc.

Shame it got caned to death, but still a gorgeous record (IMHO)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!