Originals Sold As Pressings?

This has probably been done before but we all too often see boots described as originals on eBay, and just to restore the natural balance and order of things I wondered whether folks have actually bought an original listed as a pressing??

Social source share

Many years ago I bought several Okeh singles as a 'lot' of pressings. The photo showed quite clearly that they all had large 45s, and some of them had not even been booted.

I also bought an original Sam & Kitty on 4 Brothers out of a box at a venue, which was sold as a pressing but was original.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Seem to remember someone on here think it was a very well known Dj who brought a copy of Billy Woods that's the best one that has always stayed in my mind 

Social source share

This has probably been done before but we all too often see boots described as originals on eBay, and just to restore the natural balance and order of things I wondered whether folks have actually bought an original listed as a pressing??

Yes "The Catwalk" by Gerry & Paul, the person who sold it to me said it was a boot because the labels were on the wrong sides, in fact the originals have that. Also a Moses Smith for a pal, when I got it, it turned to be an original. Yes it does happen. Also had people who were trying to shift stuff who weren't really sure if it was a boot or not when I got them they were originals, those Okeh with scratched matrix's for example.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i.ve bought THE BLENDELS YOU NEED LOVE on DONTEE.how can i tell if its real or not? its a sort of very light green

The colour is pretty close if I remember right, but you can see a sort of rounding pattern on the label, hard to describe, but the vinyl should give it away pretty quickly. Its a reasonably flimsy pressing the boot...

Ive got the boot, and the only way I'd part with it is if I had the dosh and opportunity for an original, which never seems to come up... :rolleyes:

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Yes, The Younghearts A Little Togetherness, from a supposed respected dealer as well but to his credit he refunded me after I returned it. A pretty convincing boot I must say.

Social source share

I had a Marke Jackson - I'll Never Forget You, Jamie Demo for £2. The seller had bought it in the early/mid 70's (when he DJ'ed) and assumed it was a Boot due to the general crappy apearence of the black & white print and it hadn't cost him much at the time!

I already had an issue but couldn't leave it behind.

Social source share

I picked up a red issue Sidras Theme in a "Reissues - £5 each or 3 for £10" box at Bretby in the mid 90's - (nearly) all the rest were boots. I had to pay £5.00 as I couldn't find another two records to justify spending another £5.00

... Showed it to Pep and he went and had a look and came back to me with a Sandy Wynns / Touch Of Venus on black Champion, which I missed completely.

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just done it myself TODAY  :ohmy:

Was selling what i thought was a reissue of a white Arctic demo of Teddy & The Fingerpoppers until I realised it's never been reissued on white demo - doh!

Thank fook I pulled it before it ended  :sweatingbullets:

AgggHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching that. Was willing to put up with the dimples :lol:

Edited by bo diddley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

AgggHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching that. Was willing to put up with the dimples :lol:

Yeah, I think there's some disappointed eBay watchers today

The pips/dimples can only be heard occasionally on it too and then only in the backgorund - looks far worse than it plays for sure!

My apologies, I certainly didn't do it on purpose

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought Tony Hester - Watch Yourself [ Karate ] and Tobi Lark - Challenge My Love [ Topper ] for £3 each out of a box marked Northern Soul reissues at a record fair .Was so excited I left Sandra Phillips - World Without Sunshine issue behind ,also £3......

when i read this post the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, i,ll explain ,about 20 years ago i sold most of my records to someone i knew, only to buy them back about 10 years later, some of them were missing from the original lot including

tobi lark challenge my love

tony hester watch yourself

sandra phillips world without sunshine issue

coincidence ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The colour is pretty close if I remember right, but you can see a sort of rounding pattern on the label, hard to describe, but the vinyl should give it away pretty quickly. Its a reasonably flimsy pressing the boot...

Ive got the boot, and the only way I'd part with it is if I had the dosh and opportunity for an original, which never seems to come up... :rolleyes:

Malcolm

Malc,thanks.this is not flimsy at all,infact quite sturdy.no pattern on label.it may be real then???

Social source share

i.ve bought THE BLENDELS YOU NEED LOVE on DONTEE.how can i tell if its real or not? its a sort of very light green

Originals are light blue, not green.  Only the boots are light green.  Check the differences below, and then tell me that the colours are close!  

post-953-0-33101200-1402065553_thumb.jpg

post-953-0-26626400-1402065583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

when i read this post the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, i,ll explain ,about 20 years ago i sold most of my records to someone i knew, only to buy them back about 10 years later, some of them were missing from the original lot including

tobi lark challenge my love

tony hester watch yourself

sandra phillips world without sunshine issue

coincidence ?

Probably not a coincidence , the record dealer was from Derby .......

Social source share

White demo original of "Quick Change Artist"/Give The man A Chance" - Soul Twins on Karen in mint condition! £4 at a nighter.

The seller thought it was a boot!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Ironic really how we're all too quick to jump all over a seller who's knocking out a boot as an original but aren't so quick to impart our knowledge and wisdom when it's the other way round :wicked::P

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ironic really how we're all too quick to jump all over a seller who's knocking out a boot as an original but aren't so quick to impart our knowledge and wisdom when it's the other way round :wicked::P

At the end of the day we're all opprtunists, aren't we?

Social source share

I once bought a billy harner what about the music inst on uk kama sutra for £1.50 (yes the super rare one and sold to r searling) it was described as follows you can have it for thirty bob mate because its got no words on it.......yes this is true

Social source share

I once bought a billy harner what about the music inst on uk kama sutra for £1.50 (yes the super rare one and sold to r searling) it was described as follows you can have it for thirty bob mate because its got no words on it.......yes this is true

I remember him playing it the night you sold it to him. Don't think we realised at the time quite how rare it was!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!