Bob Abrahamian R.i.p

always wanted to read what he had to say and looked out when he had commented on a thread, I usually learnt something. Like a lot of us on this site that didn't actually know the man he had become a forum friend.

I shall  miss him and his incredible knowledge.

RIP Bob.  

Social source share

So sad. Condolences and sympathies to his family and friends. What a loss to this site and life in general. Really loved his insightful posts and loved his non-scene perspective which often put things into a more meaningful context. Let's be honest, our scene is a bit weird and quirky and his fresh angle and his forthright manner used to make me chuckle. Take no prisoners!

Like many others had gained lots of knowledge and been put onto many records by Boba. There aren't many on this site with the knowledge he had. And the amount of artists he tracked down and interviewed. Jeeps. Boba, you'll be missed my friend, sleep tight.

Rich

Edited by Rich Buckley
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Just seen this and I'm genuinely, deeply shocked and saddened. We went to Chicago last year and Bob provided tons of interesting and useful information beforehand to ensure we made the most of our trip. When we got there he arranged to meet up, picked us up from the hotel and drove us around loads of the bits of Chicago that tourists wouldn't usually hit. He was an absolute mine of information about the city, which he loved and had immense pride in. He was also a really warm and funny guy.

I'm about to tell Mrs G who will be equally saddened by this awful news.

RIP Bob - they don't make many like you.

Edited by Godzilla
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Such a shame to read and some legacy / piece of work he's left behind on this site and other forums no doubt.....with all the information and insights he's put to type and with so many recordings of his great radio shows I'm still trying to catch up on. Just amazing soul taste and I'm always astounded that people like him and others on here have such good memories and knowledge, I know I never will.

Guessing SoulSource database is pretty well backed up and posts etc stored for good, as news like this a reminder of just how much information is on here from people like Bob and others all around the world and risk of losing any of that maybe a reason to double check.

All the best, Steve

Social source share

Is it possible that somebody at Soul Source could make a copy of all Bob's interviews and set them up on the Soul Source site. Call it "The Bob Abrahamian Archive". It would make a wonderful memorial for a great bloke.

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

Is it possible that somebody at Soul Source could make a copy of all Bob's interviews and set them up on the Soul Source site. Call it "The Bob Abrahamian Archive". It would make a wonderful memorial for a great bloke.

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

A great idea if not too arduous and maybe we could find a few entertaining emails he sent us to add to the colour.

Social source share

Incredibly sad. I'm sure gonna miss his posts and conversations a lot. I'll remember him as an infinite well of knowledge, helpful and funny guy. I can't believe his gone... Condoleances to his family and friends.

Social source share

I'm utterly stunned, he has helped Kent out on so many projects recently, particularly the Dore ones, He was about to send me a dub for another project; I hope all the favours I and others asked him for didn't contribute to his death in any way; I think he found it hard to say no to people and may have taken on too much at times.

I never met him and I'm not sure we even spoke on the phone but we had an ongoing soul knowledge conversation, him helping with the Kent CDs and I contributed to the Soul Vocal Groups book he was working on where I could. The world of soul has lost a major figure, I can't think of anyone with greater depth of knowledge and willingness to spread it and learn too. He did not just study the subject either he told me of driving round the south side of Chicago with Richard Stamz a black personality of the blues era, collecting debts or something similarly bizarre.

Rest In Peace Bob.

possibly an idea for a kent cd, along the lines of the dave godin deep soul treasures series..."boba's chicago treasures", or something like that

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It just shows how special 'our community' is that a man who most people didn't actually know are so saddened and shocked by his untimely death.

My only real contact with Bob was via this forum and his radio shows, but I feel as if I've lost a close family member.

Such is the power of the music we share and the forum that gives us that opportunity.

Truly upset and so sorry for Bob's family and close friends.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

So very sad to read this news.  I never met Bob in person but we often went head to head  on the same records on ebay and traded  45's  from time to time. 

Quirky, but with an intense love of all types of soul music, he was definitely one of a kind.

His Sunday evening radio shows, particularly the interviews, are testament to his love of soul music and his desire to share and give back forgotten memories to the artists who created  this music which we all love so much.

"Gone but not forgotten" we are all going to miss you buddy.

john

Social source share

Shocking news , I loved his radio show and his posts on here were always essential , informative reading .I never met him and always imagined him to be quite an elderly guy ,judging by his knowledge , sadly this wasn't the case .Rest in peace Bob , and thank you for your huge contribution to Soul music .....Eddie

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Against basic flavour of the day posts (i.e. piss takes about the size of peoples trousers, the scene's all going wrong, blah, blah, etc),  'Bob A' was a million miles away from this.  His inputs were always a breath of fresh air; full of acclaimed knowledge and astute soul wisdom - borne from a love and enthusiasm we all genuinely recognised.

Even if you didn't know him personally (I didn't), you knew that he absolutely loved what he did, and pursued it with a fulfilling passion. (An unexplained passion that drives most of us).

This forum has lost an ambassador. 

'God Says Only Play Original 45's'.   Well, now he's got someone to help in-force it, in the great soul club upstairs.

RIP Bob

Social source share

like many on ss,i only knew him  as boba,and when reading his replies to posts,i  found him to be dedicated and extremely knowlable

a terrible loss

condolences to his family,and im sure his many many friends

rip boba

lee

Social source share

I suggest everyone downloads them from Bob's site, don't know how long they will be there.  I could put them on mix cloud when I get an hour or four free, add Bob's notes/biographies to the ones he did notes for.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Motown Junkies

RIP Bob. Nothing to add to what's already been said - our paths never crossed but I love his show, he seemed like a great bloke and I always enjoyed reading what he had to say.

Social source share

So sad. Bob was a great friend. We never met in person, but communicated online frequently. Followed his Sitting In The Park show in which I always made new discoveries. Have so much respect for all the work he did in tracking down and interviewing artists that would otherwise have been totally forgotten. He gave those performers well-deserved recognition and documented information about old Chicaco soul, history that would otherwise be lost forever. He was like an encyclopedia of soul, incredibly passionate about our music, always willing to share his knowledge and keep on expanding his knowledge, recently delving more into modern sounds as well. Today I am going to play some of the records that I've received from him over the years. Boba, so much respect and love to you. Gone too soon, you should've been with us much longer. May you rest in peace my friend.

Edited by djmelismo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

one of the greatest Sweet Soul records ever, Bob, totally irreplaceable to us Soul Fans

Double O Demingoes-Color one tear black

Bob, we will never forget you

Kev

This :thumbsup:

I'm nowhere near the soulie 90% of you guys are, I'm definitely an R&Bie.

Sweet soul particularly usually leaves me fairly unmoved BUT I sometimes listened to his show because even if I didn't "like" most of it

there was always a chance he would play something good and rarely did I find them bad.

This is outstanding!! If I could sing with passion like that I'd be a happy camper.

Passion beats talent anyday, and Bob A & this guy had it by the bucketful

So even from beyond..........

I can't say I knew him but I sold him a record or 2, which was always a pleasure, and had a few chats & emails. I've been trying to get my head round this since I heard and I can't really fathom it-  so young. He should have had years of moving & grooving ahead of him. Sometimes life just sucks.I can't imagine what those close to him must feel. I missed saying this in my previous post but my deepest most sincere condolences to family and those close.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!