Bob Abrahamian R.i.p

RIP Bob. I'm absolutely shocked  It feels odd to be so sad about the death of someone I've never met or spoken to. He brought about much sanity to this site when some people were losing their cool. Often with a great sense of humour too. I remember, during one of those heated, over long ovo threads, when someone asked what would happen if they played a 2nd issue of a record out, and Bob replied that the floor would open up beneath him and then drop him straight to the gates of hell :D

Edited by daved
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

RobbK, on 06 Jun 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Thanks, Peter, 

Of course you must know that I didn't mean I don't appreciate all the great people here.  I wouldn't even be on this forum if that were the case.  I really appreciate how everyone here is so friendly and welcoming (especially to us North American "Non-Northern Scene" Soul fans).  

It's just that I sort have lost a kindered spirit, in the sense that we were both from Chicago and both loved, especially, Chicago Soul so much.  I guess conversing with him and learning so much about Chicago Soul from his great interviews, filled a lot of my nostalgia needs.  He and his work brought a lot of joy to a lot of people.  

Yes, I knew that Rob. Just wanted to send a message of friendship.

Peter

Social source share

I was shocked to hear the tragic news of losing a fellow collector who bought literally hundreds of records from me over the years.Although I never met him,I knew him thru his correspondence and mutual friends. A wealth of knowledge and a love of the world of soul that will never be replaced.RIP BobA.

Social source share

What an absolute tragedy. It brings home to you just how fragile human existence is in reality. One day you're doing whatever it is that you do, and the next you're gone. I think the helplessness of it all makes matters worse. We have no control, no say, no power to prevent it, and often no warning. 

The shock and the void for family and friends must be immense. I can only offer condolences and add them to the collective emotional voice that is raised here for one who has made a mark on the lives of so many just by being themselves - a genuine human being. 

RIP Bob.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

We would often take the piss in private out of you English Northern guys, it was kind of an ongoing running joke, no offense, mostly affectionate to you all, so many things I'm gonna miss.  Like "corroborating" fake records in order to get them included in those "Discography Books" (shhhhh don't tell no one), changing my soul source user name just to post some misinformation in order to wind him up & then deleting it after he got all worked up & then figured out it was only me teasing him.  He always said he was gonna kick my ass for playing the wrong (northern/funky) sides of my 45s.  He contributed a bunch of stuff to Greenville & Beyond.  He would send me boxes of 45s, especially New Orleans stuff (which he'd bought by accident) just because he knew I'd appreciate them.  The time the mailman started just delivering every 45 package to him, so if anyone in his neighborhood got mailed a record, the mailman just assumed without looking that it was a like-package to go to Bob's along with all the others.  He would then have to re-deliver other people's records to them.  Sometimes he wouldn't read the address, would open the 45 & go "i don't remember ordering this, did i buy this?", go back & check the mailer only to find he'd opened someone elses parcel. Hahahahaha.  If only I'd known that the trivial conversation about a rare Cadet 45 we had last week was the last thing I was gonna ever say to him, I would have said something more meaningful, but you just never know.  That we won't be hanging out when I'm in Chicago next really makes me sad.  Last night I DJd a sweet & group soul 45 set in his honor, sent those tracks out to him.  It's now 24 hours since I heard the news.  I miss him.

To illustrate the wicked sense of humor, here is a list that Bob did for our NZ Soul All Dayer Zine last year.  It's perfect & shows how confusing the English Northern Soul thing can be for us foreigners hehehehehehe.

Top 5 northern soul song descriptors that confuse Americans, as translated by an American:
1. corker
great song to have anal sex to; break out the amyl nitrate
2. cracker
song is super white and singer probably hates black people; avoid
3. stomper
dance to this song like snoopy in a charlie brown special
4. floater
great song to listen to while on ketamine or pcp
5. beat ballad
great song to let you and your friends catch someone off guard and assault them. variation: "beat ballard" -- kill a tiny defenseless bird while this song plays

We also spent about an hour debating the historical use of amyl-nitrate, the movie Cruisin' & Al Pacino because of this  LOL Typical, wild random sidetracks into other non-record shit.  We also weren't sure whether to include the Amyl Nitrate & Anal Sex references, he did think it might be a little too offensive.  Wicked sense of humor.  I'll miss that.

:) 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

attachicon.gifbob abrahamian.jpg

Bob was one of the great soul lovers, his collection insane, his knowledge immense. From his little flat in Chicago he searched the internet, tracking down long forgotten artists, many he would later interview on his seminal radio show ' Sitting In The Park'

He will be missed by some many collectors around the world and the artists that knew him as a friend. Prickly at times, but if you stuck with it you were rewarded with a truly warm friendship. I will miss him so much, a true 'One Off', travel well my friend.

boba was the boss

Chicago boss 

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Oh, No!!  I can't believe he had gone.  He was still very young to pass away.  I had email communication with him many time and he supplied me many information on the Chicago groups.  Now, I do not have anyone else who can supply me those information.  I miss you, Bob and R.I.P.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

I suggest everyone downloads them from Bob's site, don't know how long they will be there.  I could put them on mix cloud when I get an hour or four free, add Bob's notes/biographies to the ones he did notes for.

i probably listened to tommy tucker or gene chandler talking to bob on his show 15 years ago

we think its for forever

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

We would often take the piss in private out of you English Northern guys, it was kind of an ongoing running joke, no offense, mostly affectionate to you all, so many things I'm gonna miss.  Like "corroborating" fake records in order to get them included in those "Discography Books" (shhhhh don't tell no one), changing my soul source user name just to post some misinformation in order to wind him up & then deleting it after he got all worked up & then figured out it was only me teasing him.  He always said he was gonna kick my ass for playing the wrong (northern/funky) sides of my 45s.  He contributed a bunch of stuff to Greenville & Beyond.  He would send me boxes of 45s, especially New Orleans stuff (which he'd bought by accident) just because he knew I'd appreciate them.  The time the mailman started just delivering every 45 package to him, so if anyone in his neighborhood got mailed a record, the mailman just assumed without looking that it was a like-package to go to Bob's along with all the others.  He would then have to re-deliver other people's records to them.  Sometimes he wouldn't read the address, would open the 45 & go "i don't remember ordering this, did i buy this?", go back & check the mailer only to find he'd opened someone elses parcel. Hahahahaha.  If only I'd known that the trivial conversation about a rare Cadet 45 we had last week was the last thing I was gonna ever say to him, I would have said something more meaningful, but you just never know.  That we won't be hanging out when I'm in Chicago next really makes me sad.  Last night I DJd a sweet & group soul 45 set in his honor, sent those tracks out to him.  It's now 24 hours since I heard the news.  I miss him.

To illustrate the wicked sense of humor, here is a list that Bob did for our NZ Soul All Dayer Zine last year.  It's perfect & shows how confusing the English Northern Soul thing can be for us foreigners hehehehehehe.

Top 5 northern soul song descriptors that confuse Americans, as translated by an American:
1. corker
great song to have anal sex to; break out the amyl nitrate
2. cracker
song is super white and singer probably hates black people; avoid
3. stomper
dance to this song like snoopy in a charlie brown special
4. floater
great song to listen to while on ketamine or pcp
5. beat ballad
great song to let you and your friends catch someone off guard and assault them. variation: "beat ballard" -- kill a tiny defenseless bird while this song plays

We also spent about an hour debating the historical use of amyl-nitrate, the movie Cruisin' & Al Pacino because of this  LOL Typical, wild random sidetracks into other non-record shit.  We also weren't sure whether to include the Amyl Nitrate & Anal Sex references, he did think it might be a little too offensive.  Wicked sense of humor.  I'll miss that.

as long as the birds are singing

he was a soul man 

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

im thu with this i

i was talking to him the other day

just about records

talked many times about records

if i knew him i would have known him and known what was up

f*ck this internet

that's me

done with it i think

he was a star

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Heartbreaking stuff, & hearing his voice when you click on the radio link knocks you for six.

Jeez Bob, there would have been other ways out of the darkness!! Hope you're now at peace though

Goodnight & godbless

Alison xxx

Social source share

I'm still really sad. 

I just checked and the last mail i got from him was last tuesday. I bought a 45 in the states and the let the seller sent it direct to bob so that he can work on it and makes it play better. He did that inbetween one day with great success as usual. The record is still on its way to me and i know i will be really sad when it arrives although it was a longtime want of mine....

He was a magician working and repairing records and labels. Even though it took him hours sometimes he always charged only 25$ per record. I wanted to pay him more but he always insisted that i pay exactly the 25$. One time i sent him a bit more cause i appreciated so much what he did and he went a bit angry :)

I will deffo miss chatting with you about records and groups and your work on my 45s. I promise i will never ever again go on your nerves to ask you if you sell the deceptions. He never sold 45s out of his collections.

r.i.p.

Social source share

Gutted Bob is no longer with us. Even though I have never met him have listened to his ' Sittin In The Park ' shows since day one .

As I ' m sure many peeps have here . Learnt a lot along the way about 45's  I was unaware of. His knowledge and commitment to the music unrivaled  .

Hope his family can take some comfort   (  albeit small   )   in the comments listed here already . Do yourself a favour and listen to his archived shows. Bob was humble in giving that knowledgeable information for the Soul fraternity to share . Music is for listening and sharing - Bob's passion shone through . 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thank you Bob for sharing your incredible knowledge of the Sweet Soul scene.

Alas like many others on this forum, I never had the privilege to meet Bob, but I had numerous chats with him

concerning Soul music and he was always ready to help in any way possible.

Only a month ago he contacted a friend of his to sort out a record deal for me, which would not have been possible

without his help. 

To all his family and friends may I send my heartfelt condolences.

R.I.P Bob

Micky

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest eulalie

Lastly, you fellas are all too good at keeping your emotions hidden and being manly .... if you are in a dark place and need help, then please reach out to friends and family.

This is so true.  The rate of male suicides is 3.5-4 times higher than that of females. I often notice both online and in real life than women find it much easier to reach out for help.  Don't suffer in silence thinking that's the brave and manly thing to do.

https://www.samaritans.org

I never knew or had any direct communication with Bob, but was very sorry to hear this news all the same.  Hope his family and friends can take some comfort in the outpouring of respect and love for Bob I've seen here and on FB.

Edited by eulalie
Social source share

Quotes taken from the article ......

"For many of these artists – vocal groups with names like The Notations, Coffee, The Puzzle People, Sounds of Blackness, The New Concepts, The Conquistadors, and the Soul Procedures – hearing from Abrahamian was the first time in decades anyone cared enough to ask about their music. For both sides, a bond grew that was life affirming and lasted long after the interview was finished. He would do more than research their lives; Austen says Abrahamian often felt a “moral obligation” to play a caretaker role – Helping them move, teaching them computer skills, driving them to the doctor, listening to their stories."

"Through a note he left behind, Jennifer says her brother expressed a profound sadness that his life’s work didn’t matter."

The world has lost a kind, passionate soul who cared a great deal for his fellow man, so sad that he felt his work in preserving and cataloguing this music, paying homeage and respect to the artists who created it didn't matter ..  it did Bob and so did you !

Has anyone thought of sending a floral tribute over from SS members ... if so I would like to make a contribution ... Mike ?

Lastly, you fellas are all too good at keeping your emotions hidden and being manly .... if you are in a dark place and need help, then please reach out to friends and family.

has anyone any experience on this sort of thing regarding sending flowers to funerals overseas ?

good firms to use, quickest methods etc 

I looked into it, though the funeral is tuesday I think it may be achievable

but think needs to be quckly sorted

mike

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

has anyone any experience on this sort of thing regarding sending flowers to funerals overseas ?

mike

Mike

I have sent flowers overseas using Interflora. Pretty sure I just ordered in the U.K. and communication to the other end was through their internal systems.

But I will defer to anyone who says there is a better method.

MB

Social source share

mike

Hi Mike, no I have no experience with that but I know you can buy online pro-formated flower ornaments with personalized banner and have it deliver. Wich is what I believe to be the right thing. Now the thing is to see how/who to raise the donations from SS members (Paypal account...) and the do all that...

https://www.skokieflorist.net/sympathy-funeral-flowers-87_144678c.asp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I looked into it, though the funeral is tuesday I think it may be achievable

mike

I have never sent flowers overseas but have used Interflora & can see they have a USA Interflora so I would guess they are your best bet.

The time difference of, I think it's 5 hours behind us, will go in our favour as well.

I'll PM you my monetary contribution Mike & if you let me know bank details (can't do Paypal) I'll transfer some money to the bank account today

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edit: Chicago is 6 hours behind GMT during our Summer

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!