Rafa Soul Club - Serious Shades Of Soul - Newton Aycliffe 7Th June 2014

Pee Wee, Shuck & Huey - Beside Myself (You're All I've Got).

Kell Osborne on Highland, very nice.  Is that one of those already known about or another?

Kell Osborne, one of Guys cover ups at Stafford, wasn`t it ?  Jimmy Gresham- Heartbreakers law c/u

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Yes mate, Steve Smith had it as well around the same time and sold it to Dave Thorley.

Only reason I knew, was, I was gonna buy one off Tony Coleby, he put it on a tape for me years ago, one of my all time faves. One of those if only I had moments lol. :)  Can`t be many about, like a few things Tony had when he was selling up, wish I had but never did :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Only reason I knew, was, I was gonna buy one off Tony Coleby, he put it on a tape for me years ago, one of my all time faves. One of those if only I had moments lol. :)  Can`t be many about, like a few things Tony had when he was selling up, wish I had but never did :lol:  :lol:

I knew of three, Butch, Tim & Kitch.  Can't be many more.

Social source share

Can,t remember pee wee shucks being played so we,ll have to wait for Colin to fill in no. 7 on his set.

great night last night with a mega atmosphere, try the next on you,ll love it.

Pretty sure Colin played pee wee shuck & Huey last night Paul .

The one that Brett played was Bill Murphy plus one -ain't no big thing ( martin music )

Believe it or not its a Detroit 45 :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

i  always take a look at Paul Ackley  playlist  every month '  he's has amazing collection ' always plays great set.

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

My — Oh — My..... RAFA Club Soul Night 7th June 2014

SERIOUS SHADES OF SOUL

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the soul night with the return of Colin Law from Scotland and Brett Franklin from Sheffield. The night started quite slowly but built to a great crescendo by the time 12.45am came around. A superb night of quality soul music from all of the DJ’s — main guests and local guys giving the punters what they want — Quality dance soul music. Here’s how it all panned out.

Paul Shoulder — a short early spot playing to the few who get there early. 7.30pm — 8.00pm

1. Betty Everett — Trouble over the weekend / The shoe don’t fit — VJ
  2. The Ascots — Miss Heartbreaker — MBS
  3. George Wilson — Here stands the man — Black Circle Records
  4. Charlie Hodges — The day he made you — Calla
  5. Dee Clark — In my apartment — Constellation
  6. Manhattens — All I need is your love — Carnival
  7. The Inspirations — Gotta find a new love - Benn-X
  8. Cookin on three burners — This Girl — Freestyle
  9. James Brown and the JB’s — People wake up and live — Polydor
  10. Ted Taylor — Somebody’s always trying — Okeh
  11. Paul Sindab — I was a fool — Powertree
  12. Fantastic Four — Live up to what she thinks — Ric Tic
  13. Nothing sparkling — just good soul...................

Kev Harker (Newton Aycliffe) next up at 8.00pm — 9.00pm

1. Jo Armstead — Stone Good Loving
  2. Producers — Love is amazing
  3. Superlatives — Lonely in a crowd
  4. W. Hightower — Because I love
  5. Traits — Too good to be true
  6. Superiors — I’d rather die — Sue
  7. Steve Mancha — Monday to Friday
  8. Tommy Smily — I won’t cry
  9. Milton Bennet — What’s one more lie
  10. Little Flint — Pain
  11. ZZ Hill — What more do you want
  12. Ann Flemming — You’re just one more man
  13. Jimmy Ricks — Oh what a feeling — Festival
  14. Roy Roberts — You move me
  15. James Carr — Losing Game — Goldwax
  16. Jackie day — Try me
  17. Ambers — Love you baby
  18. Rose Brooks — I’m moaning
  19. Shirley Whals — Why am I crying — King
  20. Kenny Shepard — What difference does it make — Maxx
  21. Frank Dell — Baby you’ve got it — Valise
  22. JJ Daniels — Mr Lonesome
  23. Big Maybelle — Sitting in
  24. Walter Jackson — Uphill climb to the bottom

Many thanks to Kev for turning up early as usual and for being so enthusiastic in everything he does for us. How he manages to squeeze 24 records in one hour is beyond me?

Paul Ackley (Newton Aycliffe) first 30 minute set 9.00 — 9.30pm

1. Paul Sindab — I was a fool — Powertree
  2. Nat Hall — Why — Loop
  3. Sir Joe — Nobody beats my love — Ru Jac
  4. Kell Osborne — Law against a heartbreaker — Highland
  5. The Blendells — You need love — Dontee
  6. The Trannels — Blessed with a love — Flo Jo
  7. Joe Johnson — Trust in me — Trilogy
  8. Fred Mark — Someone to talk to — Concept
  9. Four Andantes — Hipper than me — Mo Do (ooohhhh!!)
  10. Young Brothers — What’s your game — Soul Power
  11. Lonett — Blue Jeans — M-S
  12. Lee McKinney and the Magnetics — I’ll keep holding on — Sable

Power house 30 minutes of rare northern soul warming the decks up for....

Nev Griffiths — (Darlington) squeezed in to play some new buys, be rude to say no.... 9.30 — 10.00pm

1. Buddy Conner When you’re alone — Breakthrough
  2. Richard Caiton — I like to get near you - Uptight
  3. Hamilton Movement — She's Gone — Look Out
  4. Scott Three — Running wild
  5. Donald Thomas — Calling me home - PMRC
  6. Ann Bogus — Don’t ask me to love again - Statue
  7. Apponitments — Keep away- - De- Lite (superb flip)
  8. Spencer Wiggins — I’m at the breaking point
  9. I J Harris — All ready to go
  10. United Sounds — It’s all over (Baby)

A quick 30 minutes of superb Northern soul, Nev must have got a bonus £££ in last month’s pay  for the United Sounds?

Colin Law (Scotland) — first of the main guest Dj’s,and  a welcome return to this effervescent character from the frozen North.... 10.00 — 11.00pm

1. Ricky Allen — Cut loose (played by Gibby last month, just buy it and play it)
  2. Lee Fields — Take me back
  3. Hopkin Brothers — Shake Cheri
  4. Roy Roberts — You move me
  5. Grey Imprint — Do you get the message (Paul Ackley been thrashing this for years now)
  6. Betty Fikes  - Prove it to me
  7. ???
  8. Carol Anderson — Taking my mind off love
  9. The Notations — Trying my best to find her
  10. Billy Byrd — Lost in the crowd
  11. Billy Bailey  - You better stop
  12. Curly Moore  - You don’t mean
  13. Rudy Mockabee — Sweet thing
  14. Brown Bombers — Wait for me
  15. Celeste hardy — You’re gone
  16. Seven Souls — Got to find a way
  17. Eddie Carr — Your love is indescribably delicious
  18. The Marlboros — My love was a sunny day
  19. Johnny McCall — I need you
  20. Soul Twins — Give the man a chance
  21. Limitations — Im lonely I’m troubled
  22. H. Andrews — I’m so tired of being lonely

What a fellah! Such enthusiasm and so friendly (almost snogged my missus at the door when he came in?) an ambassador for soulful happiness.... you could patent and sell that Colin! A bit weary with the drink but not as much as Brett following (he was ratted). Hope I got Colin’s list correct — no. 7 hadn’t a clue from his writing but it went like this — “Ree Vcle Chick Beside myself”, can someone fill that in? Also his numbering went from 10 to 12 20 to 24 and 25 to 26, 22 records played but 28 on the playlist handed to me, what chance do I have with that? Thanks for turning up so early Colin and for the support from Jock O’Connor and friends with you on the night. All welcome anytime.

Brett Franklin (good drinker for sure) well oiled and downed 2 shots before hitting the decks. 11.00 — Midnight.

Brett never wrote down his set, so please Brett post them up here as it was tremendous, Catherine — get the list if you can as Brett didn’t know where he was but enjoyed himself tremendously. Last night was the first time I met Brett and what a bloke! Talked to you like a long lost friend and as Colin, such enthusiasm for playing what he liked and that’s exactly what he delivered. I absolutely loved the version of “Ain’t no big thing” Northern Funk is the best way to describe this classic but what a delivery, didn't catch the artist's name though  — perfect for today..............

12.00 midnight to 12.45am - Paul Ackley finishing off the night — again no play list so Paul — get it loaded up here please as everyone wants to see the content.

The night finished at about 12.45am with everyone content and with majority of the attendees receiving a free cd at the door and Colin Law handing out free cd’s of the True Soul Weekender (5th and 6th September 2014) with 25 tracks on too, what more do you want for £3.00.

Next soul night is the 5th July with all DJ’s to be announced — up for it? — let me know we’ll discuss £££’s...................... see y’all soon — PAUL.

I think the lack of a playlist from Paul is due to Dan and I being all over him like a rash looking at his playbox. I was like the metaphorical child in a toyshop. I make no apologies - I don't think there'll ever be a collection of rarities again like it - or at least, not one that I'll be able to get close to anyway!

I do know he played Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid and The Earls in the second set, but can't remember much else......

Social source share

Guest ackers

What a cracker of a night, really enjoyed it, great company as usual,even the barstaff wanted it to carry on and gave us an extra half hour :thumbup:

Great sets from Kev, Nev, Colin,and Brett...brilliant company as well.

The Kell Osborne is the one Ted had,i've had it a couple of years now,still in great condition, i did hear one of the other two has gone abroad,which is a shame.

I really am struggling to remember my last set, :(This soul night only happens due to the enthusiasm and commitment shown by Paul Shoulder and the people who support it . :hatsoff2:   Best Paul

Social source share

What a cracker of a night, really enjoyed it, great company as usual,even the barstaff wanted it to carry on and gave us an extra half hour :thumbup:

The Kell Osborne is the one Ted had,i've had it a couple of years now,still in great condition, i did hear one of the other two has gone abroad,which is a shame.

I really am struggling to remember my last set, :(This soul night only happens due to the enthusiasm and commitment shown by Paul Shoulder and the people who support it . :hatsoff2:   Best Paul

I had a feeling it might have been Tim's. Not heard of one of the others going over seas though, I've heard Kitch play his in recent times.  Nice to keep a track though, I've a strong interest in Kell and Highland.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Juniorsoul

I think the lack of a playlist from Paul is due to Dan and I being all over him like a rash looking at his playbox. I was like the metaphorical child in a toyshop. I make no apologies - I don't think there'll ever be a collection of rarities again like it - or at least, not one that I'll be able to get close to anyway!

I do know he played Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid and The Earls in the second set, but can't remember much else......

Seem to remember hearing Soul Incorporated - My Proposal? 

Social source share

did you play your nice new shiny jl?

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I have never met you Paul but you have incredible collection of rare records   :hatsoff2:  ' i wish i could get down to the venue.

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

WOW That must have been some night. What fabulous sets. I'll be gobsmacked if Brett posts his playlist as he's pretty guarded about letting the cat out of the proverbial bag so everyone can go hunting his exclusives down. :g:

One thing for sure ...when you have a resident in Paul Ackley ,your never gonna go home disappointed ,he could do the whole night from start to finish and the quality would not suffer!

Regarding Brett ,if he could remember his plays I'm sure he'd post em up lol

Always delivers though and like all wild animals ,we don't wanna change or tame them or we kill the beast inside :(

Top night and regardless of other clashes or holiday periods ,this place never disappoints !

Seeya this Saturday for another episode ...and dont forget to tune in for more interesting playlists :)

Social source share

Just seen this, and what an enjoyable night. Colin has to virtually drag me out to soul nights now, too many just don't deliver for anymore, other than sometimes socially.  But this was a top night, good crowd in, a fair percentage of dancers, and great crowd of guys enthusiastic to chat about muisc, the lads running it, Paul A's hospitality and just generally good people.

Fair enjoyed myself, sure we will be back, and I genuinely rarely say that these days!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!