Overpriced Postage On Ebay

Recently I won 6 LP's on ebay, the seller told me postage was $49.00. When I got the parcel I saw that postage was $36.61.

I contacted the seller (twice) about a refund, but no reply from him.

I've been on ebay for more than 12 years and I never left any negative feedback but I really don't like that attitude (no replying to e-mails), so what can I do ? 

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

Social source share

I'm not defending the seller, but are they a private or business seller? You should ask them for a breakdown of their packaging costs. I sold a few things on ebay and got some lower comments on my P&P even though I was doing at my cost price (give or take a penny or two). There a lot of buyers (previously including myself) who assume packaging costs such as unused mailers, stiffeners and tape cost peanuts, they aren't expensive but if you buy them in small quantities the cost if individual items do add up compared to sellers who buy these in bulk.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm not defending the seller, but are they a private or business seller? You should ask them for a breakdown of their packaging costs. I sold a few things on ebay and got some lower comments on my P&P even though I was doing at my cost price (give or take a penny or two). There a lot of buyers (previously including myself) who assume packaging costs such as unused mailers, stiffeners and tape cost peanuts, they aren't expensive but if you buy them in small quantities the cost if individual items do add up compared to sellers who buy these in bulk.

Not tune the Tune of $13 dollars , That's excessive !! give him a one star on his postage price on the feed back... Paul

Social source share

i find some sellers in the us can charge that much ( $49 ) for singles although it's rare but $20 / $25 is quite common, $13 is about the norm these days and $19 for lp's. it's those using the paypal postage system that can rack up the costs. always check the postage and get in touch if you think it's too much,quite often they will drop the price a bit. some of the bigger dealers are still charging the old postage charges thanks goodness.

Social source share

Not tune the Tune of $13 dollars , That's excessive !! give him a one star on his postage price on the feed back... Paul

Agreed. Sure there are packaging materials involved but these are often being recycled anyway. I suspect some dealers charge for the time they spend selotaping packets up and driving to the Post Office then getting in line. Are eBay also taking a percentage cut of the postal charges these days?

Social source share

paid $50 dollars this week for a 45 from the US - only to get a letter from out fab UK customs to say I need to pay £32 to get it delivered....cute

sorry that was $50 dollars postage on top of what I paid for the record

Social source share

if they are a dealer then they are really ripping you off as postage cost is only that Postage. All other costs are taken as part of the overall auction - Its called Unit cost and they claim this against tax in their return.

It doesn't justify the whole hike, but people are forgetting that ebay now take a 10% cut of the postage and paypal take 4% so if a seller charges an extra 14% on top of the cost price, plus the cost of the mailer, then they're only just covering their costs.

in this case if the label stated $36, then $5 ebay and paypal fees plus cost of mailer, say $2 = $43 would be the cheapest a seller could charge and not be out of pocket... I know some people think these fees should be swallowed up by the seller, but if you're selling cheap records you might not even be making much in the first place. Just my opinion, like...

Edited by cover-up
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

sorry that was $50 dollars postage on top of what I paid for the record

I know it might sound a bit evil, but if the record then becomes negative equity, ie not worth enough to be worth paying the import duty, just ignore the C&E demand and they will ship it back to the seller, surface mail.  You then tell ebay it never arrived and get a refund eventually.  It sounds as if it was an expensive record to have cost $50 postage, unless you've been charged customs prepaid from the states and not got the service.  I resent having to pay the Post Office £8 handling fee, having seen how they handle stuff, even when marked FRAGILE

Edited by TattooDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I have just done the opposite when posting a 'Framed' Album.  Put a P&P cost down as £7.50.  When I had finished packing it Safely and using a sturdy Box the Costs were £12.50.  I had to stand to it as I had posted the costs in advance.  Swings and roundabouts I think.

Social source share

I know it might sound a bit evil, but if the record then becomes negative equity, ie not worth enough to be worth paying the import duty, just ignore the C&E demand and they will ship it back to the seller, surface mail.  You then tell ebay it never arrived and get a refund eventually.  It sounds as if it was an expensive record to have cost $50 postage, unless you've been charged customs prepaid from the states and not got the service.  I resent having to pay the Post Office £8 handling fee, having seen how they handle stuff, even when marked FRAGILE

me too .. were do they get £8 handling charges???

Social source share

me too .. where do they get £8 handling charges???

I'm banned from the sorting office after a big bust up with one of the post office robbers (sorry employees, almost put workers, and that would have been wrong in his case, though not all), though strangely I've not had to pay import duty or handling fees since

Social source share

Not  much in it when there are using the check out with the import duty automatically applied

routinely buy things for 20 quid off ebay that you could buy for 100 quid on manships. even if they do add customs, which not all do, the you are better off.

Social source share

Surely the postage is made clear at the begining of the auction/sale ??

Always ask first to see if the shipping makes the deal worthwhile

Have to say I agree with this one 100%.  We've had buyers who have complained about P&P being too much -- and we will happily cancel the order for them.  It is the responsibility of the buyer to check what the postage is/will be before buying IMO.  If you think it's too high, shop elsewhere.

Social source share

The handling charge is primarily their fee for paying the duties owed on your behalf as HMRC doesn't allow you to pay them directly.

Not really interested in the How they explain the £8.. imho = Extortion from HMRC & Royal Mail

Jimmy - I think John was just trying to answer your question.  But also the PO inform you (by delivering a card) that payment is due and store the item in their depot.  They then collect the fee and pass it on.  They need to employ people to do this - why would they do it for free?  

Mike

Social source share

I am not making excuses for the seller, it is possible that costs traveling to the post office and paying for parking which add to the costs, especially in the USA which is a massive country, Texas alone has a greater land mass than GB, France and Germany combined. My sister lived there for a while and it was a 40 mile round trip into town and their vehicle ran at about 20MPG (though the fuel was cheaper than over here).  If the seller had to travel to purchase the packaging materials and then return with a sealed parcel then I can see the costs adding up.

I understand how the buyer feels but ultimately if the seller states P&P, why expect to pay less.

My recent experience had the seller charging $12.75, when I received the parcel the postage cost alone was $14.75 and it was really well packaged so they would have added further costs. I think the lesson is 'Some you win and some you lose'.

Social source share

I am not making excuses for the seller, it is possible that costs traveling to the post office and paying for parking which add to the costs, especially in the USA which is a massive country, Texas alone has a greater land mass than GB, France and Germany combined. My sister lived there for a while and it was a 40 mile round trip into town and their vehicle ran at about 20MPG (though the fuel was cheaper than over here).  If the seller had to travel to purchase the packaging materials and then return with a sealed parcel then I can see the costs adding up.

I understand how the buyer feels but ultimately if the seller states P&P, why expect to pay less.

My recent experience had the seller charging $12.75, when I received the parcel the postage cost alone was $14.75 and it was really well packaged so they would have added further costs. I think the lesson is 'Some you win and some you lose'.

Im sorry as per my previous post Handling charges are in the original price of the item and as I said is called unit cost which includes Transport/parking /Rent lighting heating etc. This applies to a business not an individual seller. If the person declares themselves as a business to ebay then so be it but they will be offsetting these costs against the tax man which makes this £8 extra outrageous if they are a dealer.

Social source share

Jimmy - I think John was just trying to answer your question.  But also the PO inform you (by delivering a card) that payment is due and store the item in their depot.  They then collect the fee and pass it on.  They need to employ people to do this - why would they do it for free?  

Mike

In a fair world Royal Mail should be charging HMRC for the service they're providing to them

Social source share

Recently I won 6 LP's on ebay, the seller told me postage was $49.00. When I got the parcel I saw that postage was $36.61. I contacted the seller (twice) about a refund, but no reply from him. I've been on ebay for more than 12 years and I never left any negative feedback but I really don't like that attitude (no replying to e-mails), so what can I do ? Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

You're finding out the hard way. Sellers "guesstimate" shipping costs, always ask them before shipping that question, a rebate should cost be less than asked. Send the guy a stiff mail and if he/she still won't refund, give him a neutral with an explanation in the feedback panel. Of course it's only my opinion/advice. Good luck.

Social source share

. Send the guy a stiff mail and if he/she still won't refund, give him a neutral with an explanation in the feedback panel. Of course it's only my opinion/advice. Good luck.

I already sent him two (polite) messages and didn't get any reply. Perhaps I may send him a third one, but is is really worth it ?

I think I'll leave a neutral feedback.

Edited by Philippe
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Finally I threatened him to leave a negative and here's his reply :

sorry I haven't gotten back to you. it's been a crazy work week. I charge $2 for boxes and supplies. Please read the clear instructions in the auctions that states: "International Shipping (outside US only): For any auction or combined auctions that sell for over $50, up to a $10 fee may be added to cover insurance or a shipping service that insures the LPs. This additional fee will not be shown on the shipping label. Thank you."

I did insure the package. Therefore, I have overcharged $1. I can give you the refund if you like. please get back to me. thank you,

So I left him some positive feedbacks. Case closed.

Social source share

Your last post reminded me that the same thing happened to me about a year ago, when I too bought an LP from the States. I also questioned the seller and there was a small stamp or something on the package showing (hardly noticeable) that insurance had been purchased.

Social source share

As everybody here know, the USPS has increased their international shipping cost drastically and sellers' normal charge for a 45 is approx $13 on the ebay's transactions.  Almost of sellers use the USPS because tracking service is available in order to save from missing of the parcel and themselves.  However, my friend in the US informed me that the tracking service is also available on the standard International shipping service (cost is approx $8 for a 45).  He said that all the custom declaration forms be filled and sealed on the parcel has a bar-code with a number.  This number can be tracked on the USPS website. Ebay sellers do not know of this at all.  My friend says even workers in the post office did not know of that.

One more thing I want to state here is, according to an ebay seller who charged me $25 or more for a 45 from the US to Japan, he followed ebay's shipping cost for the International when he listed the items because he did not know of the exact shipping cost to Japan.  This is one of reason why the seller charges us too much.  The ebay should stop such a stupid service to the sellers.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!