Rufus Wood Before 2001 Reissue

Following the rightfully aborted debate in the sales forum about the year of release of the reissue where Paul claims it's about the same year of release since they have the same text, I wanted to add: maybe the text content are the same, but they didn't use the same templates and fonts. They are a close match but not the same. The black text fonts remind me of the early 7T's to mid 7T's Houston press like that Jet Stream below most likely from the same pressing plant ! I always understood that the Rufus Wood black text was just a 7T's reissue made to meet the demand on the northern soul scene. So it must have been spun some first to create a demand before being reissued. Like pointed by Wiggyflat from a Blues & Soul article from 1976 were it was tipped as played by Soul Sam, it makes more sense that it was reissued around that time IMHO. Still a perfectly suitable reissue none the less.

post-19710-0-55841600-1402302259_thumb.ppost-19710-0-76678300-1402302276_thumb.p

1968 - 1968                                               197? & 1976

post-19710-0-48159800-1402303583_thumb.ppost-19710-0-93540400-1402306581_thumb.p

Social source share

I guess I should reply given that I was involved in the debate and although I respect your opinion that it was 'rightfully aborted,' I don't necessarily agree:  I do understand why there's an objection to people making subjective comments about price etc, but I can't see how it's wrong to ask someone to correct an error. It's the same as when someone accidentally credits the wrong label or attributes a New Orleans recording to Chicago - we all make mistakes and I'd certainly want to get right. I have no axe to grid with the seller and I accept that there's demand for the reissue that probably justifies the asking price.

As for the record in question, here's my take. I still have my 100% original blue text issue. I remember when the 2nd press became available and was advertised with all the other boots/re-pressings in Black Echos magazine a year or so later, which suggests that even if it was done by the label owners, it had been commissioned from the UK. Nobody had ever seen the black lettered one before this time and as far as I'm aware they tend not to turn up in Texas either.

In addition to the text colour there's a different address on the original label (3602 Dowling rather than 2309 Holman) and the writer credit is A Collins, as opposed to A Vallier. Alton Vallier was the producer, so maybe he was approached and still had the master plates? I don't know but it's clearly not a contemporaneous issue. And that's a fact.

Thanks.

post-1918-0-60078000-1402319041_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The black lettering one is from around March / April 1976, that's when it first appeared in the import shops here, I bought one from Max Millward's.  I bought one again from the same shop 30 years later, except this time it was £25 not £1.50

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!