Lovells On Brent

I've got one, but it'll be 3 months before I'm back in USA, where it is shelved.  I take it you need it for The Brent/Time CD, and need it soon?  I'm sure there are several others on this forum that have a nice-looking original copy.  I'll get credit on the CD, anyway for another 45 scan I sent a few months ago (Reggie White?).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

The Boot had thin, weak text print, as photocopied labels generally produce.  Isn't that right?

Yes that's right. Oddly enough, I don't think I ever saw one of these until the late 90's.  It got very few plays back in the late 70's so was very surprised that it had been booted.  

Social source share

I've got one, but it'll be 3 months before I'm back in USA, where it is shelved.  I take it you need it for The Brent/Time CD, and need it soon?  I'm sure there are several others on this forum that have a nice-looking original copy.  I'll get credit on the CD, anyway for another 45 scan I sent a few months ago (Reggie White?).

Ronnie, but you're close. Yep I'll need it a bit sharper Robb; thanks any road up.

Social source share

Ronnie, but you're close. Yep I'll need it a bit sharper Robb; thanks any road up.

Ha! Ha!  I always confuse Ronnie with US pro football all star, Reggie White of The Green Bay Packers.  This is what happens when one gets old and doesn't get enough of the beta fish fats.  Would you believe that at one time I could recall (when tested) all the labels and catalogue numbers of all records in my large label runs!  I couldn't remember all of them offhand.  I had to picture in my mind flipping through the records and then "looking" at them and "reading" off the labels in my mind, by having remembered what the surrounding records were.

A LOT of you big 45 collectors on this forum will identify with this statement, as you, too have a photographic memory.  MOST of the people I've met with photographic memories were collectors, and most of those collected records (and most of those 45s).  I'd bet that 45 collectors have more than 1000 times the incidence of photographic memories among their population as exists in the normal population.  And I'd bet The NS ("Soulie") population has 100,000 times that of that of the general population, as it would be virtually impossible to keep track of all the titles from artists you are looking for and all the labels, producers, music publishers, etc. while fumbling through warehouses full of 45s with only a few hours there to do so, without such a skill.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks lads yes I got sorted a coupla hours ago; I think I've confused Robb with my fake Yarkshire talk.

Any road up is just a friendly way of saying anyway Robb

Got it!  So!  That's a Yorkie expression, eh?  I'll have to dig deep to remember some old Manitoban sayings.

Social source share

What?  No comments on my photographic memory blurb???  I thought I'd get a bunch of great stories from the old days from you guys.  Maybe by tomorrow morning.  

I once had a few collectors over to my house.  One of them knew me fairly well.  The other was brought by the latter,  The bloke that knew me showed ny run of Atlantic 45s from 874 through about 2700, with not all that many missing.  They were stacked standing vertically (as they should be) on shelves, with the thin edge facing outward,, in sleeves, There were cardboard catalogue number markers for every 25 (e.g. at 875, 900. 925, 950, etc.  He told the guy he could pick out any number, at random, and not let me see it.  Then he would tell me the number, and I would proceed to tell him the artist's name and the title of the "A" side song.  He bet him $10 that I could do that.  The guy took the bet.  He didn't believe I (or anyone) could do that.  He proceeded to pick from the middle of the shelves (it ran across 3 different large book shelves).  He picked 1161 "Yodee Yakee" by The Drifters (one of my favourite early non-McPhatter leads).  I got it right away, and for good measure got the 2 other random picks he made. He was in shock.  My friend later gave me half the take ($5),  I felt like Minnesota fats skinning a sucker!  

Post your Stories here"

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Was it booted, my copy is a demo but looks a bit odd and is very bassy on the Heartaches side.

Got one but seems you're sorted

Is it safe to assume this is the same group that went on to become Faith, Hope & Charity  who recorded for Maxwell, Sussex and RCA etc

https://www.soulcellar.co.uk/faith/Disc.html

'Here Comes The Heartaches' was written by Zulema Rucker and there was a Zulema Cusseaux, who wrote a lot of songs, in FoD .... enough coincidences to make it possible I suppose

andy

Social source share

I'll send it down .. pleased to see it getting a CD release .. it's a great record

There was an article in B&S when FoD were just breaking through and they refer to the Lovells .. it always stuck in my mind

I should have the article somewhere but not sure where to start looking

Andy

Edited by Andy Rix
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!