Richard A. Brooks (Brooks Brothers), Soul Junction 45 In 2 Weeks

There are several mistakes in that blurb.  They got together with Jerry Butler and Curtis Mayfield in 1957.  They may well have written and practised "For Your Prescious Love" in 1957, but didn't get signed by VJ Records until 1958.  Their record was released FIRST on Vee Jay 280, but soon after transferred to VJ's subsidiary label, Falcon Records.  The very successful sales of their record was the reason why VJ had to change the name of its Falcon Records to Abner Records, as another Falcon Records (in Texas, I believe), brought a lawsuit.

The Impressions were cut loose from VJ in late 1959.  Jerry Butler was signed as a solo artist, and Curtis Mayfield was signed by Butler, to be his songwriter and guitarist.  The Impressions, without Mayfield on lead, had 2 records released before Curtis got them the contract with ABC Records in late 1961.  One was on a very small Chicago label (Bandera-"Listen"/"Shorty's Got To Go"), and one on a tinier New York label (a red label with block lettered printing and on styrene), (I've forgotten the name of the label and song titles).  Maybe Sam Gooden and Fred Cash alternated leads?  Both went nowhere. 

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I'll Do Anything" sounds just like Curtis Mayfield wrote it.  The Brooks Brothers must have followed his career closely long after The original Impressions split up.  "I'll Do Anything" is many, many years after the music I like stopped being made.  But, it is nice, and decent to listen to.  I like it.  In what year was it recorded?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

After the Brooks Brothers left the Impressions, they spent some time based in Baltimore. While there they got to know some local artists, Kenny Hamber being one of them.

Kenny saw them walking down the street one day & recognised them from shows he had seen the Impressions perform in the city. He introduced himself and asked if they were who he thought they were (which they confirmed).

Seems that they must have moved about a bit back in the 60's after their spell based in New York with the Impressions.

Social source share

Funny, always assumed Brooks Brothers ('Looking for a woman') were a white act - great record but very blue eyed sounding, though I guess along the lines of some of the Fame sides of the time with double tracked vocals (Slippin' Around', or Jimmy Hughes 'Lovely Ladies') which makes them less 'black' sounding

Social source share

Funny, always assumed Brooks Brothers ('Looking for a woman') were a white act - great record but very blue eyed sounding, though I guess along the lines of some of the Fame sides of the time with double tracked vocals (Slippin' Around', or Jimmy Hughes 'Lovely Ladies') which makes them less 'black' sounding

Either that or you have a residual memory of this UK duo...;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXQ1a-cjXXE

Social source share

There are several mistakes in that blurb.  They got together with Jerry Butler and Curtis Mayfield in 1957.  They may well have written and practised "For Your Prescious Love" in 1957, but didn't get signed by VJ Records until 1958.  Their record was released FIRST on Vee Jay 280, but soon after transferred to VJ's subsidiary label, Falcon Records.  The very successful sales of their record was the reason why VJ had to change the name of its Falcon Records to Abner Records, as another Falcon Records (in Texas, I believe), brought a lawsuit.

The Impressions were cut loose from VJ in late 1959.  Jerry Butler was signed as a solo artist, and Curtis Mayfield was signed by Butler, to be his songwriter and guitarist.  The Impressions, without Mayfield on lead, had 2 records released before Curtis got them the contract with ABC Records in late 1961.  One was on a very small Chicago label, and one on a tinier New York label.  Both went nowhere. 

No mistakes Robb

Just not the full facts what Dave has posted up is a brief resum'e of Richard Brooks career taken from our website to promote the 45.we are in the process of finishing off a more indepth article of his career which we intended to post next week, but Dave T jumped the gun.

But just to wet your appetite, the tiny New York release by the Impressions which you have quoted is "I Need Your Love/Don't Leave" on the Swirl label release number 107. Which featured Sam Gooden, Fred Cash and Richard and Arthur Brooks as Mayfield had gone off to play guitar for Jerry Butler. Sorry we haven't been able to give it to you chapter and verse sooner but some of us do have a life which doesn't include reading websites all day.

Dave Welding

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A top quality double sider. I actually have a slight preference for the flip "With all my heart" and had a really good response from those in attendance at Majestic Soul last week.Either way , 2 very good tracks.

Mark Houghton

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In what year was it recorded?

Both songs were recorded in 2012 with the aid of  Albert King's former band leader Oliver Johnson a close friend and associate of Richards.

Real music by real musicians :yes:  :thumbsup:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

After the Brooks Brothers left the Impressions, they spent some time based in Baltimore. While there they got to know some local artists, Kenny Hamber being one of them.

Kenny saw them walking down the street one day & recognised them from shows he had seen the Impressions perform in the city. He introduced himself and asked if they were who he thought they were (which they confirmed).

Seems that they must have moved about a bit back in the 60's after their spell based in New York with the Impressions.

Arthur Brooks met his first wife Everlyn in Baltimore and did live their for a while.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!