The Great - Not The Merely Mediocre

I know that this is bound to be mainly subjective but it does seem to me that a lot of the records that were being played at clubs like the Twisted Wheel in the very late 60s ( which was when I got my feet wet) were so much greater than the bulk that came later.

Records like Art Freeman - Slippin Around - 'Tightrope' - Inez & Charlie Foxx,' A Quitter Never Wins' - Larry Williams & Johnny Watson,' She Blew A Good Thing' - The Poets (and then the lazy 3 in the morning sounds like 'I Dig your Act - The O'Jays and 'Call on Me' Bobby Bland) were all exceptionally well produced, arranged and performed standout gems whose greatness lay in their being simply uncommonly interesting.

As other oldsters will remember, the sounds at the Wheel at this time were not played at high volume. - does anyone know if this was anything to with the neighbors?! - they were just of such classy high quality that they got into the brain, and have stayed in mine since then. Please don't think that I like only 'oldies'. I have very diverse musical tastes which includes many more genres than Soiul and NS.

Which records have you been able to listen to without tiring of them for most of your life?

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do they have to be soul?

How long will it take - pat kelly

i saw the light - todd rundgren

coz i luv you - slade

lets stay together - al green

you don't care - the techniques

northern wise - mel britt, yum yums, bernie williams, sam williams, joannie sommers, doni burdick, tobi legend - I could probably name 100

Social source share

I bought it - actually I didn't, I shoplifted it from a reduced 45's box because I didn't have 20p, the only thing I've ever stolen - in 1973 when I was 13 and I could literally play this record every day and never get tired of it, in fact I do play it mosr days. The weird thing is, when my girlfriend heard it she thought it was...wait for it...Carol King!

Social source share

Billy, I'm with you on that. There were some great songs being played all throught the 70's, but for me, it's the Wheel stuff every time. Never one to miss a chance to blather on that the old times were better, can I offer you a couple more Wheel spins that stand out simply in terms of the arrangement and production?

Can't see your love - The Ballads

There's nothing else to say - The Incredibles

Workin' on your case - O'Jays

Social source share

Dayvo: As well as Soul I also have a passion for jazz and it was se amazingly well crafted brassy productions like 'Working on your Cas'e that helped me undestand that stuff when I got round to it. Incidentally, at the time that 'I dig your act' and' Working on your Case' were big at Whitworth Street they were available on an LP for about 10 shillings that could be bougjht at Woolies.

Social source share

. Incidentally, at the time that  'I dig your act' and' Working on your Case' were big at Whitworth Street they were available on an LP for about 10 shillings that could be bougjht at Woolies.

link

I remember when Johnny Taylor's "Friday Night" was a big sound. Only the hip knew that it was the flip to "Steal Away" (?) which had not been deleted on UK Stax.

My Brother in Law bought a box of 25 at 10 bob each and flogged 'em out at 3 times the price.

Simpler times.

Talking of Jazz, I bet that Cal Tjader thing blew you away then!?

Social source share

Agree 100% - Flame looks great on DVD by the way in case you haven't got it (I can send you a copy) - fantastic bands and all local lads, you can still spot Dave Hill and Jimmy Lea round here and I literally bumped into Don Powell in the early 90's in Bexhill On Sea!

Social source share

Agree 100% - Flame looks great on DVD by the way in case you haven't got it (I can send you a copy) - fantastic bands and all local lads, you can still spot Dave Hill and Jimmy Lea round here and I literally bumped into Don Powell in the early 90's in Bexhill On Sea!

link

I will take you up on that offer mate. You can also see Mr Hill at the Plinston every time - no, hang on that's Reg :lol: Now, wheres me cup-a-soup whistling.gif

Social source share

I bought it - actually I didn't, I shoplifted it from a reduced 45's box because I didn't have 20p, the only thing I've ever stolen - in 1973 when I was 13 and I could literally play this record every day and never get tired of it, in fact I do play it mosr days.  The weird thing is, when my girlfriend heard it she thought it was...wait for it...Carol King!

Not that strange really, I think that "I Saw The Light" would've fit nicely onto "Tapestry". Todd was extremely influenced by artists like Carole King and Laura Nyro at that time (check out some of Laura's early albums if you haven't, she's got a very "special" voice, but those melodies!!!). Have you heard Todd's "We Gotta Get You A Woman" (let me know if you haven't and I'll send you a copy)? It's eerily similar to Carole King's song writing style. Absolutely awesome stuff!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!