Urgent Want - Candi Staton

Guest chorleybloke

Somebody once told me that this record was withdrawn because a dog 'yelped' in the studio (although what it was doing there in the first place is anyones guess)'

its roundabout 0.47s what do you think?

Honestly I've heard this rumour before and it's so disrespectful to the singer and musicians to think they'd be that unprofessional - it's obviously a note from an organ and it happens again a couple of seconds later.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • 4 weeks later...

I WAS AT A SOUL NIGHT IN BEAUMARIS A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK AND RICHARD SEARLING PLAYED THIS,

HE SAID HE'S BEEN LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE FOR YEARS AND WAS LUCKY TO GET THE ONE HE WAS PLAYING.

I GUESS HE MUST HAVE SOLD ONE YEARS BACK AND SPENT A LONG TIME FINDING ANOTHER.

I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE'D HAVE PLENTY OF CONTACTS TO TRY AND FIND ONE SO IT MUST BE A TOUGH FIND.

Social source share

I WAS AT A SOUL NIGHT IN BEAUMARIS A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK AND RICHARD SEARLING PLAYED THIS,

HE SAID HE'S BEEN LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE FOR YEARS AND WAS LUCKY TO GET THE ONE HE WAS PLAYING.

I GUESS HE MUST HAVE SOLD ONE YEARS BACK AND SPENT A LONG TIME FINDING ANOTHER.

I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE'D HAVE PLENTY OF CONTACTS TO TRY AND FIND ONE SO IT MUST BE A TOUGH FIND.

I sold him that one. They really don't come up that often, and definitely not in anything more than VG+ as the quantity that were found by John Anderson were water damaged stock. The one I let Richard have was OK vinyl wise but the label was not good.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Circa 1976 i purchased 3 copies of Candi Staton - £20 per copy. One of these was for Brian Rae who was selling it on to Richard Searling - I sold Brian`s copy to him for £25 (£5.00 was a good mark up in those days!!) All 3 copies i purchased from Soul Bowl - those were the days. Also sold the other 2 as well sometime later.

5 years ago i actually purchased another copy from a mate for £650 - Without doubt a four figure tune these days and maybe it`s fair to say not many people have had four copies of this truely all time classic through their hands???

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have the dean Anderson male vocal acetate of this I beleive rob marriott cut another from the original acetate and sold it on, it is in my opinion every bit as good if not better sorry guys just an opinion . Atb colin law

Only ever heard this once, at the 100 Club 15 years ago - don't even know to another recording of it - was credited to the song's composer

Social source share

You are totally correct Pete it was writing for a male singer till candii staton got it and changed a few words and made it hers and it is bob not Bo typed on glossy label bob fowler you got the up proper hand and it is the dogs b*llocks

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

I know it has been mentioned on previous page re her denying singing this, what I know is I helped put Candi on Newcastle few years back and we were chatting  whilst driving back to her hotel and my mate Toma put a cd on with this track and he asked her the history behind it, Candi told us both at first she never recorded it and it was not her singing, but as the conversation went on she also said she was sure she didn't record it but if she did she couldn't recall doing it, 

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

I know it has been mentioned on previous page re her denying singing this, what I know is I helped put Candi on Newcastle few years back and we were chatting  whilst driving back to her hotel and my mate Toma put a cd on with this track and he asked her the history behind it, Candi told us both at first she never recorded it and it was not her singing, but as the conversation went on she also said she was sure she didn't record it but if she did she couldn't recall doing it, 

Cheers

This reminiscence makes me think about how often some artists are revered on the soul scene to have poured their heart and soul into a recording or the song is so soulful it represents the angst of the singer when for the singer it was often another day at the office and not one that stays with them.

I think about Edwin Starr who for me is one of the best and most soulful acts I've ever seen, but shit he could turn it on whatever the occasion so in someway its just showbiz, and like actors they turn it on when needed.

I'll get my tin hat on now.

Social source share