Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Guest nickw

I have a copy on London American (HL 10070) I have come across it on Revilot, Stateside, Quality and Million but never London. Anyone know anything about it at all? Cheers Nick

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All .... This is indeed a great find in the history of record collecting in the UK, the first thing to be done is to get the record looked at by a top collector of UK LONDON Records,

The picture is poor, if I had this record and was going to post it on SOUL SOURCE it would be with both sides, close up of matrix close up on labels,& sound clips of both sides, that's what I would do, rather than the picture put in,

I think that if you could improve on the posting,  I would be more interested in this find, & keep a level head about it,

In saying this there is evidence that the issue labels had been printed, we know that the record was pressed on a LONDON DEMO, it would not be a hard job putting a label onto a demo, this is why it needs independent source to look at it,

Printing tech has come a long way over the last 20 years,   If proved to be right it seems you have the rarest UK SOUL RECORD worth £5K.

MORE INFO PLEASE

DAVE KILWORTH

Social source share

Guest nickw

Hi Dave, the sort of posting I was hopefully of. When I find my camera I will post higher res pictures. What I can say is that this is from a large collection of 45s that I bought from the estate of a deceased Decca pressing plant employee. All of the records were unplayed with a large number of rare - not necessarily valuable - 60s psych rock/freak beat (as expected on blue Decca). It would suggest that the employee was not a collector as such, merely taking those he could have and then storing them in numbers untouched for decades, to be found on his death. I have no reason to suppose this is not the real deal. More later.

Social source share

Sorry about being incredulous but when you've been collecting British as long as some of us have, and a record known to previously not exist turns up, people are going to be a little sceptical.  This is a record that's been talked about for nearly 50 years and not one single copy has ever been found.  If you have found it - massive congratulations, you have the rarest UK record ever made I should think.  

A bit like that Bunky copy of Nolan Chance you mean ?

Social source share

Guest nickw

Hey Pete I absolutely understand, I have been collecting records for nigh on 50 years myself. I am hoping with the help and knowledge of all you guys I can get an answer one way or the other though

Social source share

One point and I'm no UK label expert.

Did London Demos have different matrix detail than the equivalent issue ?.

We don't know because no one has ever seen an issue to compare it - but I would have thought they'd be the same to be honest.  It'll have the inverted number above the calatogue number in the run off.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We don't know because no one has ever seen an issue to compare it - but I would have thought they'd be the same to be honest.  It'll have the inverted number above the calatogue number in the run off.

I meant other London releases where the issue and demo can be compared.

I'm sure Dave kil will have some on both formats maybe he can have a look.

Social source share

I have a copy on London American (HL 10070) I have come across it on Revilot, Stateside, Quality and Million but never London. Anyone know anything about it at all? Cheers Nick

IF IF IF it turns out to a genuine pukka issue will you keep it or sell it ?

Social source share

Guest nickw

Well there's a question. I really don not want to get ahead of the situation. I am happy its a genuine record but whether it is "the" missing record remains to be seen.

They do say everything has its price but at the moment my heart tells me that should it be genuine, it should be pride of place in my collection

Social source share

Well there's a question. I really don not want to get ahead of the situation. I am happy its a genuine record but whether it is "the" missing record remains to be seen.

They do say everything has its price but at the moment my heart tells me that should it be genuine, it should be pride of place in my collection

Would it be considered OVO, oh shit why did I say that ?.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest nickw

A & B side images plus matrix pics here 

I am not great with a camera and there is some reflection but see if they are any help!  

Social source share

Absolutely stunned!  What a lovely find, Nick!  And I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that as far as UK soul releases go, this has got to be the find of the century so far!

Would it not be fair to dismiss the so-called Irish and Dutch issues as mere conspiracy theories until proof turns up (as if)?

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I may need a drink!  :)

This is rarer than Frank Wilson in my opinion.  I posted a couple of your pics on Facebook and nobody can believe it.  Hardened collectors are sobbing at the sight of it  :lol:

It's the find of a lifetime.  I'm not in the slightest bit jealous.

Rope anyone???

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest nickw

I need somewhere safe for it now.....under the mattress, in the airing cupboard :D I think I knew it was the one but just did not want to believe it with my own eyes, bit shocked tbh!

Social source share

Guest nickw

Thanks for for your knowledge Pete.......I so want to play it again but have restrained myself so far and consoled myself by staring at it! 

Social source share

Guest nickw

I have it on reissue so

This is the problem when you get a super super rare record like that - you so want to keep it, but me, I always sell - always - because at the end of the day, it's just a piece of plastic which could by my family an awful lot of happiness, and I'll just buy a £5 reissue.

Initially I had every intention of keeping it and having thesmug  satisfaction of knowing I had the only one in the world - so far anyway - but I can absolutely see you viewpoint Pete and at some point I am sure the pot of gold will become a huge temptation and as you say, I have been playing the reissues for years anyway! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!