Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Well thats a turn up for the books!

Nice find and after all this time as well.

Begs the question of how many were pressed as I can't see them pressing a run of one,  so what happened there then?

You're right, absolutely no way they only pressed one...but maybe this guy took a copy, before they said they had to be destroyed...or something along those lines

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're right, absolutely no way they only pressed one...but maybe this guy took a copy, before they said they had to be destroyed...or something along those lines

Makes me wonder how many more might have "escaped" like that and what became of their fate? How much stuff has ended up as land fill?

Social source share

I did tell them about it but no response

Interesting.  Probably best to keep tabs on it to see if they do publish something regardless.

Obviously the interest for this is twofold - British soul collectors and London collectors alike.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Interesting.  Probably best to keep tabs on it to see if they do publish something regardless.

They should do an article, after all records this rare are unlikely to appear every month. For collectors it's a holy grail 45, although not, of course, a rare sound as it's easily found on other labels. It does raise the question of whether other copies will now appear as non-soul-aware individuals may have one but don't know the importance of it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well it would be good to hear the full story in Record Collector, unless NickW would care to give Soul Source a fuller acount beforehand?

Also, if Nick sells this at Auction it could it end up - dare i even say this, overseas! Probably doubtful but you never know. I think a British label rarity should stay in Britain. I am therefore setting up a fund to enable me to buy this 45 if it comes to auction for the express purpose of keeping this British rarity in Great Britain.

I am of course doing this for all the soulies and London label collectors of Gt Britain and intend to tour it round allnighters/soul nights/record fairs and local museums the length and breadth of Britain.

All donations gratefully received and accepted as "gift on Paypal. Just contact through here and I'll send you my email address. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They should do an article, after all records this rare are unlikely to appear every month. For collectors it's a holy grail 45, although not, of course, a rare sound as it's easily found on other labels. It does raise the question of whether other copies will now appear as non-soul-aware individuals may have one but don't know the importance of it.

"‹I think that the subject of Darrell banks has been well covered in record Collector over the years and anyone owning a copy would maybe have cashed in long ago

This is a fantastic find, well done Nick.

Not one person on here thought it existed in an issue format, nice to think someone salted it away all those years ago , sneaked out in his "Snap Bag" along with a clutch of Stones and Billy Fury 45s.

Holy Grail is used so often on records these days, this presses so many of the "Right" buttons its unbelievable and it has a very broad appeal, £10K ? More I'd say if 2 or 3 of the heavy weight collectors got involved, plus the London label guys with money..the sky is the limit. If you had limitless funds and one record missing....................how high do you go...once in a lifetime 1 (ps did you look in the shed Nick in the spares drawer ?)

Once again I take my hat off to you

:hatsoff2: 

Rob 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If any copies had been released you would have expected at least one beat up copy to have turned up by now.

More likely it was pressed in the smallest run possible - did Decca do a minimum press of combined issues and demos? - then the issues melted down when they decided to pull it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"‹I think that the subject of Darrell banks has been well covered in record Collector over the years and anyone owning a copy would maybe have cashed in long ago

This is a fantastic find, well done Nick.

Not one person on here thought it existed in an issue format, nice to think someone salted it away all those years ago , sneaked out in his "Snap Bag" along with a clutch of Stones and Billy Fury 45s.

Holy Grail is used so often on records these days, this presses so many of the "Right" buttons its unbelievable and it has a very broad appeal, £10K ? More I'd say if 2 or 3 of the heavy weight collectors got involved, plus the London label guys with money..the sky is the limit. If you had limitless funds and one record missing....................how high do you go...once in a lifetime 1 (ps did you look in the shed Nick in the spares drawer ?)

Once again I take my hat off to you

:hatsoff2: 

Rob 

It has the potential for a very interesting article. Not only about the life and tragic death of Banks, but the discovery of the London 45. The only possible legal problem I can see (as a former journalist) is explaining how the original owner obtained it. It might be a bit tricky if it was suggested he 'sneaked out' the record!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

a large collection of 45s that I bought from the estate of a deceased Decca pressing plant employee.

Would love to know more about the back story. i.e. did you buy the collection from a family member or did it go to auction?

Social source share

It has the potential for a very interesting article. Not only about the life and tragic death of Banks, but the discovery of the London 45. The only possible legal problem I can see (as a former journalist) is explaining how the original owner obtained it. It might be a bit tricky if it was suggested he 'sneaked out' the record!

Would there be a problem, though?  Do you remember the American singles on coloured vinyl (run-of-the-mill pop singles, but for which 'one copy exists on coloured vinyl') which John Tefteller publicised as being pressed up by a pressing plant employee as one-offs for his own collection and amusement?  He seemed to get away with it.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Would there be a problem, though?  Do you remember the American singles on coloured vinyl (run-of-the-mill pop singles, but for which 'one copy exists on coloured vinyl') which John Tefteller publicised as being pressed up by a pressing plant employee as one-offs?  He seemed to get away with it.

I'm talking about family members not taking kindly to their Dad (or Uncle, etc) possibly being portrayed as a bit 'light fingered'. It sounds insignificant, but you would be amazed (actually probably not) at how touchy people can be about such matters. For all we know, he might have been given it, permitted to help himself or actually paid for it, so at the present it's speculation really.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm talking about family members not taking kindly to their Dad (or Uncle, etc) possibly being portrayed as a bit 'light fingered'. It sounds insignificant, but you would be amazed (actually probably not) at how touchy people can be about such matters. For all we know, he might have been given it, permitted to help himself or actually paid for it, so at the present it's speculation really.

Yes.  Good point.  I guess one way around it is if the pressing plant employee remained anonymous?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

From that scan it looks as though it has got some damage to the left hand side...where the prongs meet.Its a shame the photo wasnt on a white background

I can't see it.  Looks OK to me.  And it is on a white background, isn't it?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

The only possible legal problem I can see (as a former journalist) is explaining how the original owner obtained it. It might be a bit tricky if it was suggested he 'sneaked out' the record!

I doubt anyone would be bothered now…..certainly not Decca / London :lol: . In the world of coin collecting it's similar to the 1933 One Penny. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete S, I got no response from Record collector either after you advised me to about the 'Solomon King - This beautiful day', with the different titled 'A' side and the different matrix numbers.. Seems that they may only be interested in what THEY discover. I know nowhere near the same scale as this but still interesting all the same.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

Pete S, I got no response from Record collector either after you advised me to about the 'Solomon King - This beautiful day', with the different titled 'A' side and the different matrix numbers.. Seems that they may only be interested in what THEY discover. I know nowhere near the same scale as this but still interesting all the same.

That's what I thought.  Or trying to pass off other peoples' discoveries as their own.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!