Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Congratulations Sir,this has surely become the most  fantastic find in years a true rareity and good luck to you  :yes: this will one day succeed Frank Wilson in the value stakes must be a one off  :yes:  :yes: Im still shaking and pleased for you this IS the holy grail of Northern Soul   

Edited by linda4me
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh RC will be all over it if it gets sold for a big number……but us soul collectors have always been the poor cousins where they are concerned.

They'll probably credit whoever auctions it with discovering it and not mention the chap who did find it  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thinking about it. Nobody should own this and nobody should play it. I suggest that we all own it, well 100 people, ie raise a fund, amount to be agreed  and it should be placed in a Museum for all to admire with dismay... 

Edited by sheep
Social source share

They'll probably credit whoever auctions it with discovering it and not mention the chap who did find it  :lol:

Exactly why it should be sold on here (if sold at all) & not on Manships auction.

The owner first inquired about it on this site, it's authenticity was confirmed on here so why on earth would you want someone else to receive all the glory & a hefty 20% commission on it.

With a record like this history will be made wherever it is sold & the big collectors will all have a maximum they will pay wherever it gets sold also.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Saw it on here last night.

Hardly slept a wink!

After this ANYTHING is possible.

Sean

Like England winning the World Cup

Social source share

Exactly why it should be sold on here (if sold at all) & not on Manships auction.

The owner first inquired about it on this site, it's authenticity was confirmed on here so why on earth would you want someone else to receive all the glory & a hefty 20% commission on it.

With a record like this history will be made wherever it is sold & the big collectors will all have a maximum they will pay wherever it gets sold also.

The only thing is Cunnie, if it was advertised just on here, wouldn't it be seen by only a limited amount of soul collectors?  I know Manship earns his pound of flesh via commission, but he seems to have a much wider buyer base and audience, and of course seems to gets top dollar on most rare items.

Social source share

Thinking about it. Nobody should own this and nobody should play it. I suggest that we all own it, well 100 people, ie raise a fund, amount to be agreed  and it should be placed in a Museum for all to admire with dismay... 

Could this then make the Darrell Banks UK stock copy the first soul record to be owned under shared ownership, or even to have shares in it?

Social source share

The only thing is Cunnie, if it was advertised just on here, wouldn't it be seen by only a limited amount of soul collectors?  I know Manship earns his pound of flesh via commission, but he seems to have a much wider buyer base and audience, and of course seems to gets top dollar on most rare items.

It won't be just advertised on here though. It's already plastered all over facebook for a start & I bet (assuming it's sold) that the winner already knows about it.

News like this travels fast.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could this then make the Darrell Banks UK stock copy the first soul record to be owned under shared ownership, or even to have shares in it?

Yes, I think it would, but the importance of this find, in my opinion, justifies for it to be in the public domain under shared ownership and for ll to see.

Social source share

It won't be just advertised on here though. It's already plastered all over facebook for a start & I bet (assuming it's sold) that the winner already knows about it.

I posted it first thing, with the photos, the number of shares it's had is phenomenal, in fact you could say it's "gone viral".  Always wanted to say that.  Don't know why, it's nearly as bad as saying "choon".

Needless to say, if that was mine I'd have already taken the 10K I was offered for it earlier  :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i didnt know this london issue was a rare or even not known to exist....ive got 5 of the bugga's!

sorry my mistake....ive just seen germany paste portugal....made my brain weird for a second!....well done and big congrats! on finding this mega piece of northern soul history!

Social source share

i didnt know this london issue was a rare or even not known to exist....ive got 5 of the bugga's!

sorry my mistake....ive just seen germany paste portugal....made my brain weird for a second!....well done and big congrats! on finding this mega piece of northern soul history!

F*ck, bang goes the football that I'd recorded, cheers for that!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

why on earth would you want someone else to receive all the glory & a hefty 20% commission on it.

Because Manship is the Sotheby's of NS vinyl auctions. 

I do agree with the points you made, but part of me wants to witness the fanfare of a JM number on this disc, if it isn't sold already. Can you imagine the 'sizzle'? !!!

Social source share

Because Manship is the Sotheby's of NS vinyl auctions. 

I do agree with the points you made, but part of me wants to witness the fanfare of a JM number on this disc, if it isn't sold already. Can you imagine the 'sizzle'? !!!

I really can't contain my excitement.  Oh hang on, yes I can after all.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I need somewhere safe for it now.....under the mattress, in the airing cupboard :(  I think I knew it was the one but just did not want to believe it with my own eyes, bit shocked tbh!

Neither under mattress or airing cupboard.... you'll warp it & if you get 10k at auction don't buy a car... it'l depreciate to 5k :(

Stick it in a Swiss bank vault :)

Social source share

I posted it first thing, with the photos, the number of shares it's had is phenomenal, in fact you could say it's "gone viral".  Always wanted to say that.  Don't know why, it's nearly as bad as saying "choon".

Needless to say, if that was mine I'd have already taken the 10K I was offered for it earlier  :lol:

So is that official Pete, that 10K has already been offered for it?

Social source share

So is that official Pete, that 10K has already been offered for it?

Yeah but to me, when it's nothing to do with me!  I just posted it up in facebook and said it was the real deal.  If someone had offered me 10K for a record it would have been done and dusted already :-)

Social source share

Good evening Dave. by the law of averages they have both been trumped by the issue so I would assume that they have now decreased in said value

Steve

Just the sight and thought of the London stock copy seems to make the London demo a little insipid right now!

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Nick

Fantastic find, well done. Darrell Banks is the obvious mega rarity ,but what is in the rest of the large collection mentioned at the start of this thread. A nice run of mint mid 60 s London releases would add up to a fair few pounds. Maybe once everyone has calmed down you could let us know what else you found.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally, I think it's nobody's business what he paid for it. 50p, £50, £500... He said it was part of collection anyway.

Obviously everybody on here is very soul focused, but London label collectors are a rabid bunch, who aren't very keen on demos. I would have thought ebay would be the only way to sell this, to get the full coverage and exposure it warrants. If two soul fans want to offer £10k on a Manship auction, it'll go for £10k. If it got listed on ebay, both those soul fans would bid. Plus a whole load of rock'n'roll collectors and wealthy Russians and Japanese brain surgeons and investment bankers who earn £10k in a single day. There's a whole world of eccentric and rich nutcases out there who've never even heard of John Manship (sorry, John...)

Congratulations Nick, just goes to show, never say never. Bet your PM box is burning red hot...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Obviously everybody on here is very soul focused, but London label collectors are a rabid bunch, who aren't very keen on demos.

Probably stems from the fact that most London collectors, particularly those who have little or no interest in Soul music, collect the label ostensibly for the Rock n' Roll side of it, and it's known that RnR collectors always favour stock copies over demos.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

The other factor, on the sale of this is, its  probably limited UK to collector demand.

How many U.S./Japanese buyers will be interested compared to the Motown etc. "full set" collectors that wanted Frank Wilson,

or some of the Shrine stuff that John has sold recently ?.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nick hasn't even hinted at selling it yet, has he???

I know if it was me, I'd NEVER sell it.

And I think I'd probably retire from collecting if I was the one to have found it. I mean, as a British label collector, what else would there be to keep me collecting???

• Helpful 3
Social source share

And I think I'd probably retire from collecting if I was the one to have found it. I mean, as a British label collector, what else would there be to keep me collecting???

That's defeatist - I expected more  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

The ones you still haven't got???

;o)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!