Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Guest nickw

Hi all, before I do my best to get some sleep I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your help, assistance, excitement and enthusiasm. Aside from the personal joy of having such a rare record it has been mind blowing to understand just how much this means to all you guys too! For the record, no I have not decided yet if I am selling it. Thanks again.

Social source share

Probably more likely to find a 'stock' copy of Frank Wilson than that! :yes:

I would say so.  I've seen two in The Motown and Jobete Record Files, one of which was in our office for 5 years at Motown, and then at Airwave for 3 years.  Then, I know of one other Frank Wilson stocker that existed, which my friend Ron Murphy found among the original Detroit pressing plant saved test pressings.  That one eventually ended up in The UK.  So, that's at least 3 times as many as Nicks one-off.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would get this photographed by a professional or someone who is very good at taking photos. This record is a "library" piece and as many photos as possible should be taken and kept for posterity as it is unlikely to come to the market again.

if you are going to sell it, I would go though the JM auction as he has the best exposure. I don't know JM but would negotiate a nominal fee for the auction as the usual 20% does not apply to record of this stature. To have for for sale on his site can only bolster the credibility of his site as one the best in the world for rare records. If it was my site I would sell it for free because of the significance of the find and the PR it is about to create around the world.

Congratulations on finding it and sharing it with us before it disappears into the hands of a wealthy collector.

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I would say so.  I've seen two in The Motown and Jobete Record Files, one of which was in our office for 5 years at Motown, and then at Airwave for 3 years.  Then, I know of one other Frank Wilson stocker that existed, which my friend Ron Murphy found among the original Detroit pressing plant saved test pressings.  That one eventually ended up in The UK.  So, that's at least 3 times as many as Nicks one-off.

When he say "stocker" he means not a "demo" copy, like a commercial release with the mauve/purple color on the side with the SOUL logo. That hasn't been discovered yet !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nick hasn't even hinted at selling it yet, has he???

I know if it was me, I'd NEVER sell it.

And I think I'd probably retire from collecting if I was the one to have found it. I mean, as a British label collector, what else would there be to keep me collecting???

The Volumes on Pama?

Gerri Hall on Sue?

Ben E. King "Can't Break The News" Atlantic stock copy?

Something like this really does make you wonder what else could be hidden out there!

:D

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi all, before I do my best to get some sleep I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your help, assistance, excitement and enthusiasm. Aside from the personal joy of having such a rare record it has been mind blowing to understand just how much this means to all you guys too! For the record, no I have not decided yet if I am selling it. Thanks again.

Well done there Nick - and were you actually able to get some sleep last night?  I'd have been far too excited if it were me!

Social source share

Now that it is established that it was actually pressed - surely there is no way there is only one?  Can't imagine only one person in the chain secreted one away- Pressing plant, Label, A&R, promotions, the press, radio stations and DJ's etc .   Didn't the demo's all turn up in a box in one place? Chris Savory or someone?

Maybe all the hardened London collectors are laughing at us 'idiot' Soul fans!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When he say "stocker" he means not a "demo" copy, like a commercial release with the mauve/purple color on the side with the SOUL logo. That hasn't been discovered yet !

What are you talking about?  Two of those three non-demo stock records were standing before my eyes for 8 straight years.  And the 3rd I have on pretty good authority, as I've never known my friend, Ron Murphy (may he rest in peace) to lie about anything.  And, in addition, I heard from 2 other people that they had seen Ron's copy, before he sold it.  Those people are also well known to be honest people.  I've never known them to lie or stretch the truth.  These were all "stock copies", with the mauve Soul logo. Simon Soussan got the one that was sitting in our offices.  So, I expect that it ended up in the hands of a big-time British NS collector, unless he just kept it for himself.  

Social source share

What are you talking about?  Two of those three non-demo stock records were standing before my eyes for 8 straight years.  And the 3rd I have on pretty good authority, as I've never known my friend, Ron Murphy (may he rest in peace) to lie about anything.  And, in addition, I heard from 2 other people that they had seen Ron's copy, before he sold it.  Those people are also well known to be honest people.  I've never known them to lie or stretch the truth.  These were all "stock copies", with the mauve Soul logo. Simon Soussan got the one that was sitting in our offices.  So, I expect that it ended up in the hands of a big-time British NS collector, unless he just kept it for himself.  

Oh dear, this is gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I have no reason to doubt anything you say Robbk before I start.

The conventional thinking has always been there were 2 known copies of said record, although there have

been countless rumours about a third.

Both of them are promos without the mauve Soul logo, just plain black and white, unless I'm sadly mistaken.

Your post now makes that up to at least 5 known copies, its beginning to be a hell of a week in the

world of northern soul collecting.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

So I didn't know that. OK, I bend down but I've not heard that version before and I haven't digged or search whereabouts of it for more than 10 years now it's true and with all the rumors and infatuations about and around, I honestly thought that the few around were only promos ! So, indeed, DB London stocker is rarer at this day. Thanks for the little story here Rob.

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

I would get this photographed by a professional or someone who is very good at taking photos. This record is a "library" piece and as many photos as possible should be taken and kept for posterity as it is unlikely to come to the market again.

if you are going to sell it, I would go though the JM auction as he has the best exposure. I don't know JM but would negotiate a nominal fee for the auction as the usual 20% does not apply to record of this stature. To have for for sale on his site can only bolster the credibility of his site as one the best in the world for rare records. If it was my site I would sell it for free because of the significance of the find and the PR it is about to create around the world.

Congratulations on finding it and sharing it with us before it disappears into the hands of a wealthy collector.

couldn't have said it better,  fantastic news.

Social source share

We touched upon this in an earlier thread about Motown tunes that didn't get a release in the US. I said that if we were going to include "promo only" releases then we might as well include the Frank Wilson 45. You said that Frank Wilson reached stock/issue status.

The two Frank Wilson 45's that (so far, at least) have been known to exist are black/white labelled and have got "Promotional. Not For Sale." printed on the labels.

There might very well be three stock/issue copies in existence, but they have never come onto the market as far as I know.

post-1392-0-94174700-1402999821_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-70021400-1402999829_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Keep it for a while and make 'em all sweat....

In fact.....I'd get some pics taken of yourself doing dangerous acts/stunts/sports etc whilst holding it gingerly between your teeth...(in a sleeve of course....)

Bungee Jumps, BMX tricks, juggling those fire flaming baton things that jugglers love to chuck about.... etc.

It won't increase the value of the 45, but wont half fcuk up the OCD levels of half the collectors on this site.....that's surely gotta be worth more than £10K of anyones money!

Will the rest of the collection be up for sale...if so is there any chance of a list....?

Plenty of British I'm still chasing even if Denbos given up....!

;o)

I retracted that rather rash statement almost immediately, so I'd like a copy of that list too please Nick. :thumbsup::D :D

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Ron's copy is the one that went to Kenny is it not, Koppell/Tim Brown brokered the deal????  The other copy that Soussan is the one Tim Brown had/has.

Social source share

Ron's copy is the one that went to Kenny is it not, Koppell/Tim Brown brokered the deal????  The other copy that Soussan is the one Tim Brown had/has.

That makes 2 demos and that's the count I always heard about. Now RobbK's count seems complementary with stock/commercial issues on top ! That's something I've never heard about before.

Social source share

My apologies for starting another Frank Wilson discussion in the middle of this joyous occasion.  

If it ever comes up for sale don't think many serious UK collectors wives will think its a joyous occasion, "you're gonna spend

how much on another f*cking piece of plastic". :D

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave McKee

nickw - I'm a member of 45cat, a website dedicated to listing every 45rpm record ever issued. Can I have your permission to use your photos of the Darrell Banks stock single on that site?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

wow--really made up for you--wonderful find---I have heard of people selling their cars for records but had a phone call this morning from someone prepared to re mortgage their house to try and buy this if it goes up for sale---the crazy world of record collecting

Social source share

Guest nickw

nickw - I'm a member of 45cat, a website dedicated to listing every 45rpm record ever issued. Can I have your permission to use your photos of the Darrell Banks stock single on that site?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave, I use 45cat. You are more than welcome to use it there. Nick 

Social source share

It heard from Mitch Parkin a mate of mine that all the db demos turned up in one place at a market or something ,but he also told me an interesting story that Eddie Hubbard had a db London issue from the BBC library given to him by an employee, only for the employee to ask for it back due to hierarchy  finding out, how true this is I don't know maybe Eddie can confirm or unravel this story ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It heard from Mitch Parkin a mate of mine that all the db demos turned up in one place at a market or something ,but he also told me an interesting story that Eddie Hubbard had a db London issue from the BBC library given to him by an employee, only for the employee to ask for it back due to hierarchy  finding out, how true this is I don't know maybe Eddie can confirm or unravel this story ?

Not sure why all the London demos would turn up from the same place, doesn't make sense, they were distributed to the usual outlets / agencies / tv companies, I was behind someone who got one in Eastbourne for instance.

Social source share

The find of the century, the holy grail, do you know how honoured you are Nickw to be the keeper of such a treasure?
You and the record will certainly go down in record collecting history.
If it were me I wouldn't sell it for a while just to etch myself in the history of what I had descovered, I would have as many photos of myself and the record taken as possible and have them framed and mounted. I would then when I decided to sell it on, make sure that the deal included that I were documented as the finder of the record to go down in any future reference books etc.
It is a sad fact that when you do sell it, if you do, you will feel a great loss not to be the holder of it anymore and there will be an empty space where it once was that is never likely to be filled, but hey! you'll be a rich man.
Very well done, I am very jealous, but in a good way and I am very pleased for you that you have found this up til now elusive gem.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I the only one who is curious about the inverted number on the label? Not trying to rain on anyones parade...just thought it might be point of discussion.

Not really, as every other London release from that period was the same with inverted number.

Now if the number was the right way up, then alarms would be ringing.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Not really, as every other London release from that period was the same with inverted number.

Now if the number was the right way up, then alarms would be ringing.

Cheers

Mick

How hard would one these be to fake? I guess you would need the right grade of vinyl, some method of stamping the correct matrix in the run-off and the correct weight and texture of paper and an accurate way of reproducing the London label which has quite a 'grainy' look to the silver areas. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't crossed some chancer's mind already.

Edited by ElGeePee
Social source share

Nick,

Excellent find, probably the only true myth to be busted (or legend to be confirmed, depending on you point ov view) this century. I know "excellent" is an understatement, but no doubt all the comments in this post can be read as echoed by me. - Except #197

What next, King Richard III's body in a Leicester car park ?

Well done Nick

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi all , well , well what a find eh chap's , well done nick you sir have pulled the rabbit from the hat. I suppose the possibility's relating to the truth of this records origin are universally vast .

there is no doubt that this vinyl manifestation is the most mind stunning event in British collecting history.It's great that this record was found in the greatest of way's by a record collector doing a little footwork and stumbling by what appears to be by sheer luck or accident upon a true golden fleece. We'll perhaps never know the true path taken on this records journey and in a way it's probably better if we never know how and why , but in the world of manufacturing mistakes are often made. It's possible that the record was scheduled for manufacture and may have been on a work sheet , made and then in the final hour the order cancelled and all units destroyed or skipped except for this one . Why this one was saved who can say and who saved it was possibly the guy who died for whatever reason. Well done chap. regards S.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!