Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

How hard would one these be to fake? I guess you would need the right grade of vinyl, some method of stamping the correct matrix in the run-off and the correct weight and texture of paper and an accurate way of reproducing the London label which has quite a 'grainy' look to the silver areas. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't crossed some chancer's mind already.

You'd also need a machine that cuts a neat four-pronged centre, and also one that presses the centre ridge in the right place.

Social source share

Here's a question. The BBC library, by all accounts, had issues rather than demos. I've got one and seen a few different BBC Library soul records and they were all issues and stamped BBC Library. The black ink stamp is only just visible, in the right light, on my Little Anthony & Imperials black/silver London issue. Does anyone know if they had demo copies as well?

Social source share

Here's a question. The BBC library, by all accounts, had issues rather than demos. I've got one and seen a few different BBC Library soul records and they were all issues and stamped BBC Library. The black ink stamp is only just visible, in the right light, on my Little Anthony & Imperials black/silver London issue. Does anyone know if they had demo copies as well?

You only have to see that footage of Tony Blackburn on the opening day of Radio One in 1967, his two singles on the decks are both demos - famous photo of Jimmy Saville holding up two demos at the first Top Of The Pops (bet they were Beatles).   I think most of the BBC local stations had nothing but demos.

_41791282_savile_first416.jpg

Social source share

a chris savory record fair had a sale in stoke a few years back of the records they had at bbc radio stoke and there weren't many demos in the boxes as i remember, lots of issues. which must have been repeated all over the uk at other bbc radio stations i would think.

mind you i expect all the dealers went through the boxes before the doors opened for business.

Social source share

a chris savory record fair had a sale in stoke a few years back of the records they had at bbc radio stoke and there weren't many demos in the boxes as i remember, lots of issues. which must have been repeated all over the uk at other bbc radio stations i would think.

mind you i expect all the dealers went through the boxes before the doors opened for business.

You should see what came out of Radio Birmingham; all demos, someone on here has hundreds of them, or did do

Social source share

Also - this doesn't make any sense.  The whole purpose of demo records is that they are advance copies, they would go out to the radio stations, press, tv shows etc before the stock copies were even pressed, so that they could make it onto their playlists by the time the record was actually released.  Otherwise - why even bother making them?  

Social source share

Blimey!  Really looks the part.  Didn't know they were still around!

This was made in either Canada or USA I think, fantastic record too Gene.  Only 2 years old, sounds like it was recorded in 1969.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Which BBC library? There were loads of 'em back then - the ONLY radio stations at that time were BBC and most, if not all, of the BBC provincial stations were serviced by all of the major record companies to my knowledge.

Actually this brilliant find doesn't surprise me that much. I wanted to mention earlier in the thread that I could have sworn seeing a DB issue in the early 70s but I couldn't remember the occasion or who had it, so it seemed pointless chirping in with no proof. I remember there being a full run of London-American UK demos at Decca HQ on Albert Embankment and every so often an issue would be there instead and it was generally because they'd run out of labels or something on a particular week . And of course, many demos were pressed up but some titles just piled up in offices 'cos there were bigger fish to fry or an artist would be in town or something. So when the issues were pressed they just stayed there 'cos no one knew or ordered the records.

I'm sure Rouncy will know whether generally the issues would come off the same pressing run as the demo, as surely they'd just swap the labels and continue the run I would have thought? If so, it would be perfectly feasible for, say, 200 demos to be run off and then 300 issues wouldn't it?

Brilliant find whichever way we look at it. Could have been the guy at the factory keeping one before the rest got junked?  :g:

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

This was made in either Canada or USA I think, fantastic record too Gene.  Only 2 years old, sounds like it was recorded in 1969.

There's still a plant in the UK that can handle those. My designer mentioned it today. I see if I can dig their name up.....

Social source share

They'll probably credit whoever auctions it with discovering it and not mention the chap who did find it  :lol:

He (Nick) ought to make  a short documentary - 10  mins maybe - explaining the general history of the record and its various releases and then the story behind and importance of this find. Stick it on youtube. That way its always "his" history.

Maybe Mojo would be more interested in doing a feature than RC?

Social source share

Well, to my knowledge, and my contacts in the 70's, when a local dj wanted a copy of a back catalogue record they had to fill in a requisition sheet and the records were supplied from London, where supposedly, they had everything ever issued. Sure, they had demos sent directly to the station but I was under the impression that there was a main library in London that had everything. I remember seeing the brown cardboard sleeves with all the different stations that had requested the record and the dates on a white label down the side.

Social source share

Which BBC library? There were loads of 'em back then - the ONLY radio stations at that time were BBC and most, if not all, of the BBC provincial stations were serviced by all of the major record companies to my knowledge.

Actually this brilliant find doesn't surprise me that much. I wanted to mention earlier in the thread that I could have sworn seeing a DB issue in the early 70s but I couldn't remember the occasion or who had it, so it seemed pointless chirping in with no proof. I remember there being a full run of London-American UK demos at Decca HQ on Albert Embankment and every so often an issue would be there instead and it was generally because they'd run out of labels or something on a particular week . And of course, many demos were pressed up but some titles just piled up in offices 'cos there were bigger fish to fry or an artist would be in town or something. So when the issues were pressed they just stayed there 'cos no one knew or ordered the records.

I'm sure Rouncy will know whether generally the issues would come off the same pressing run as the demo, as surely they'd just swap the labels and continue the run I would have thought? If so, it would be perfectly feasible for, say, 200 demos to be run off and then 300 issues wouldn't it?

Brilliant find whichever way we look at it. Could have been the guy at the factory keeping one before the rest got junked? :g:

Ian D :D

as I said in an earlier post on page 4 , heard a story Eddie Hubbard had one years ago ?
Social source share

He (Nick) ought to make  a short documentary - 10  mins maybe - explaining the general history of the record and its various releases and then the story behind and importance of this find. Stick it on youtube. That way its always "his" history.

Maybe Mojo would be more interested in doing a feature than RC?

I've always found Mojo to be more artist/music orientated rather than interested in this kind of thing - Fred Dellar excepted.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On the subject of new London discoveries, Jimmy Soul's "Twistin' Matilda / I Can't Hold Out Any Longer" (HLU 9549) was apparently discovered to exist as a London demo only a couple of years ago.  The number was first thought to have been allocated to an unissued Bill Smith Combo single (according to Paul Pellettier's London discography).  Since January 2012, only two or three Jimmy Soul demos on London have come to light, and no stock copies have been found yet.

Like Darrell Banks, it was later relased on Stateside (SS 103).  Similar 'injunction' problems with SPQR rights, as there were with Revilot, maybe?

https://www.45cat.com/record/hlu9549uk

https://www.45cat.com/record/ss103

post-953-0-17790300-1403034565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Well, to my knowledge, and my contacts in the 70's, when a local dj wanted a copy of a back catalogue record they had to fill in a requisition sheet and the records were supplied from London, where supposedly, they had everything ever issued. Sure, they had demos sent directly to the station but I was under the impression that there was a main library in London that had everything. I remember seeing the brown cardboard sleeves with all the different stations that had requested the record and the dates on a white label down the side.

Could well be, especially for an older item - they probably had an archive at Broadcasting House which BBC provincial stations could call on if need be. By the late 60's the major record companies were quite sophisticated in promoting records nationally and pretty much everything would be serviced to most stations throughout the UK. There's been some great hits at local BBC stations which had clear-outs in the mid 70s - often Richard Searling and I would be scoping 'em out 'cos we were both reps for RCA and Decca at the time. Richard had some particularly good results from Billy Butler on Radio Merseyside (Frankie & Johnny and Delaney Bramlett to name a couple) and both of us had some great hits in Leeds, Sheffield and Derby when they had clear-outs. 

There was a shop in Harrogate that specialized in buying radio station and reps clearouts. We're talking tens of thousands of UK promos at a time. I once bought 5000 for 2p each, so they're out there somewhere.... :)

Might be worth checking with the National Sound Archive and see if they've got one! :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If you sell, place on here, not Mr Manships auction !!!

N'importe quoi  !!!!

I know there are many good people on SS for selling, but JM reaches parts that others can't reach.

Sell it on here he'll get £15 and will have to pay the postage........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could well be, especially for an older item - they probably had an archive at Broadcasting House which BBC provincial stations could call on if need be. By the late 60's the major record companies were quite sophisticated in promoting records nationally and pretty much everything would be serviced to most stations throughout the UK. There's been some great hits at local BBC stations which had clear-outs in the mid 70s - often Richard Searling and I would be scoping 'em out 'cos we were both reps for RCA and Decca at the time. Richard had some particularly good results from Billy Butler on Radio Merseyside (Frankie & Johnny and Delaney Bramlett to name a couple) and both of us had some great hits in Leeds, Sheffield and Derby when they had clear-outs. 

There was a shop in Harrogate that specialized in buying radio station and reps clearouts. We're talking tens of thousands of UK promos at a time. I once bought 5000 for 2p each, so they're out there somewhere.... :)

Might be worth checking with the National Sound Archive and see if they've got one! :)

I spent some time in Billy Butler's loft in the mid 70's going through his records but he was reluctant at that time to part with anything. I couldn't even get him to part with Dusty Springfield - What's it gonna be. It was Billy who got me my first dj job in 1975 :)

Kev

Social source share

Brilliant find whichever way we look at it. Could have been the guy at the factory keeping one before the rest got junked? :g:

Ian D :D

Social source share

I spent some time in Billy Butler's loft in the mid 70's going through his records but he was reluctant at that time to part with anything. I couldn't even get him to part with Dusty Springfield - What's it gonna be. It was Billy who got me my first dj job in 1975 :)

Kev

Yep, Billy was a great guy. Richard got to know him better than me and I think that's why he always gave credit to Billy for Frankie & Johnny.

I bet you know a couple of my mates Desa and Jon Williams - they used to go to Terry Lennaine's night in Birkenhead, he was also on Radio Merseyside when Billy was doing the breakfast show I think........

Also, talking of UK demos, did you ever go to Magical Mystery Store in Birkenhead? I got a few things out of there at one time.....

Ian D :)

Social source share

Yep, Billy was a great guy. Richard got to know him better than me and I think that's why he always gave credit to Billy for Frankie & Johnny.

I bet you know a couple of my mates Desa and Jon Williams - they used to go to Terry Lennaine's night in Birkenhead, he was also on Radio Merseyside when Billy was doing the breakfast show I think........

Also, talking of UK demos, did you ever go to Magical Mystery Store in Birkenhead? I got a few things out of there at one time.....

Used to visit that place every other weekend, sometimes every weekend. Got some great Demos from there, including a Calum Bryce Demo on Conder for 10p. Sold it many years later for £500. :thumbsup:

I've also had some great records off Billy in the past too. :yes:

Social source share

N'importe quoi  !!!!

I know there are many good people on SS for selling, but JM reaches parts that others can't reach.

Sell it on here he'll get £15 and will have to pay the postage........

This is so true, not only do prospective buyers want it for half your advertised price,plus you footing the post. I doubt it'll be long before they want cash back too!!

Anyway,back on topic. I'm no British collector but am seriously impressed by this discovery. Well done.

Social source share

Yeh, Terry's a good friend of mine. John Clement and myself used to sit in on Terry's show playing the odd northern track. I used to dj at Ruperts Birkenhead when he was on at The Hamilton. Not met Desa but he and Terry were doing a show together on local 7 waves radio playing 70's & 80's funk and disco. Used to pick up a lot of stuff in Birkenhead Market but didn't know what was what in those days and must have missed tons of stuff. Still don't know what I'm doing now :D

Kev

Social source share

Good evening Dave. by the law of averages they have both been trumped by the issue so I would assume that they have now decreased in said value

Steve

:hatsoff2: HI STEVE, I'm not sure as there is a issue but it's just not in 1000,000 years gonna get to me to play, and over the past 40 years I have never got a LONDON DEMO, I could of had a few but for some reason I have always prefer my RED & WHITE $TATESIDE COPY which in my opinion is just as rare, but looks better, in fact BABY LOVE & MY GIRL look fantastic on RED & WHITE DEMOS, and are also elusive to find today.

still cheers for your reply, it's a wait & see game :ohmy: DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

From the news

A one-cent postage stamp from a 19th-century British colony in South America has become the world's most valuable stamp - again.

The 1856 British Guiana One-Cent Magenta sold at auction at Sotheby's in New York for 9.5 million dollars (£5.6m). It is the fourth time it has broken the auction record for a single stamp in its long history.

The stamp was expected to bring 10-20 million dollars (£5.9-£11.8m). Sotheby's said the buyer wished to remain anonymous. The price included the buyer's premium.

This makes £10,000 for the Darrell Banks look like loose change.

Des

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Brilliant find whichever way we look at it. Could have been the guy at the factory keeping one before the rest got junked?  :g:

:hatsoff2: HI IAN .. I AGRE WITH YOUR PIONT ABOUT IT BEING PRESSED AT THE SAME TIME, :ohmy: Years ago I read an article on the London issue, I wish I could find it, but it said that there was a couple of proof sheets printed of the issue, and the record in question had been played in SOHO, maybe and there are a few examples of strange one offs made in the middle off the night, (Hendrix "cry of love" LP red vinyl is a classic example of employee power, in this case a shrewd MOD maybe had a great idea to impress his mates and made a one off, or they just pressed the 4 issues for quality control purposes, as they did for all records,  :lol: I wish it was me who found it, I'm on a high just knowing it exists :thumbsup: DAVE

Social source share

Nobody batted an eyelid when I posted up this Canadian Revilot up a few years ago - that it seemed nobody had seen before  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

I got quite excited when I discovered mine was this rarer Canadian issue but Nick, WOW, I can't imagine what it must have felt like when you pulled this one out of a box. Congratulations

Edited by Russ29
Social source share

I used to get a list from Zephyr Records based in North John St, Merseyside during the late '70s.  Wasn't Magical Mystery Store in Birkenhead the Beatles' specialist offshoot store of Zephyr?  I believed they closed around 1980 - 81.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

You should see what came out of Radio Birmingham; all demos, someone on here has hundreds of them, or did do

Didn't Tony Reynolds get most of his British from BRMB pete, do remember him saying that, and you you mentioned it some years back. He had boxes of em.

Mal

Social source share

Didn't Tony Reynolds get most of his British from BRMB pete, do remember him saying that, and you you mentioned it some years back. He had boxes of em.

Mal

That's who I was referring to mate, DJ'd with him once in Plymouth and his entire box was UK demos from that source, jammy sod

Social source share

That's who I was referring to mate, DJ'd with him once in Plymouth and his entire box was UK demos from that source, jammy sod

Remember at the Outrigger he had lots of DJ's, Harpo did one Dayer, Ted Massey quite a few, he would let you go through his 45's, and play them if you did a spot, Tony was never precious about them. thats where I first saw all his Cameo Parkway White Demos, obviously we all loved Evie Sands...

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

That makes 2 demos and that's the count I always heard about. Now RobbK's count seems complementary with stock/commercial issues on top ! That's something I've never heard about before.

So Ron's copy was a DJ copy???  I never saw it, myself.  I always just assumed it was a stock copy because he said it came in a box of press run test masters he found at the original Detroit pressing plant.  I suppose it could have been a test pressing for pressing of the DJ press run.  If so, then there were only the two stock copies that I saw in the two Motown Record files, one of which we had in our office at Motown, and later. Tom had taken to Airwave.  When I saw it had gone missing, Tom told me that "Soussan must have taken it, when he was browsing through our record shelves."  But, I think Tom sold it to Soussan when he was desperate for cash.  Other NS Motown records and other non-Motown NS records were missing, as well.

Modern Soul Sucks,  didn't I take you for a tour of our Airwave offices?  If that was before 1982, you could have seen the Frank wilson there.  But, I guess if you had seen it there, you'd have already mentioned that on this thread. 

So, Soussan never sold it, eh?  Kept it for himself.  I wonder who "lifted" the OTHER one.  I guess it also never got to the market.  Again, I say, Ron told me that the pressing plant people told him that 6 test copies were run before a press run.  So, at least 6 Frank Wilson stock copies were pressed, even if Berry Gordy cancelled the store stock press run before it started.  In addition to the two file copies I mentioned, Berry Gordy got one, Quality Control got one, and 2 were kept by the pressing plant.  But that was a DIFFERENT press run from that of the white DJs.  So, apparently, the 2 store stock press run test masters which were originally kept by the pressing plant, were eventually destroyed, as most are after a number of years.  Ron said that the box he got was going to be destroyed.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

So Ron's copy was a DJ copy???  I never saw it, myself.  I always just assumed it was a stock copy because he said it came in a box of press run test masters he found at the original Detroit pressing plant.  I suppose it could have been a test pressing for pressing of the DJ press run.  If so, then there were only the two stock copies that I saw in the two Motown Record files, one of which we had in our office at Motown, and later. Tom had taken to Airwave.  When I saw it had gone missing, Tom told me that "Soussan must have taken it, when he was browsing through our record shelves."  But, I think Tom sold it to Soussan when he was desperate for cash.  Other NS Motown records and other non-Motown NS records were missing, as well.

Modern Soul Sucks,  didn't I take you for a tour of our Airwave offices?  If that was before 1982, you could have seen the Frank wilson there.  But, I guess if you had seen it there, you'd have already mentioned that on this thread. 

So, Soussan never sold it, eh?  Kept it for himself.  I wonder who "lifted" the OTHER one.  I guess it also never got to the market.  Again, I say, Ron told me that the pressing plant people told him that 6 test copies were run before a press run.  So, at least 6 Frank Wilson stock copies were pressed, even if Berry Gordy cancelled the store stock press run before it started.  In addition to the two file copies I mentioned, Berry Gordy got one, Quality Control got one, and 2 were kept by the pressing plant.  But that was a DIFFERENT press run from that of the white DJs.  So, apparently, the 2 store stock press run test masters which were originally kept by the pressing plant, were eventually destroyed, as most are after a number of years.  Ron said that the box he got was going to be destroyed.

Once again no reason to doubt any of what you are saying.

However if Simon had lifted it, I think the world and his wife

would have known by now.

Social source share

Once again no reason to doubt any of what you are saying.

However if Simon had lifted it, I think the world and his wife

would have known by now.

I never meant to imply that Simon Soussan took the other Company File copy.  I think he bought Tom's copy.  I don't think Simon ever had access to records in Motown's Record files.  No doubt someone else took the other one, and kept it for himself, or sold it to someone who never showed it to anyone with connections to The NS crowd.  As far as Simon never showing the stock issue to a Brit, I think that is possible.  You seem to think it's not possible.  I don't even know if Soussan ended up with the record.  I DO know that I saw him browsing through our record shelves and playing records on our turntable, while we were doing other things.  I know that Tom was desperate for operating cash.  I do know that ALL the records I saw were missing were all NS played at that time, or "stompers" not yet played.  Maybe Tom sold them to a different NS enthusiast (but, IF so, he was likely to be a Brit).  Could it have been a Brit who would never show it to ANYONE involved in The NS Scene?  Highly unlikely.  So, I certainly have no idea where the Motown File copy that we didn't have ended up.  And, I really can't know for sure where where "OUR" copy ended up, or, really, even how it left us.  All I know is that, those 2 stock pressings DID exist, and now, I seemed to have jumped to an incorrect conclusion about Ron Murphy's copy, and it was a DJ copy.  So, that means there were, at least 2 white DJs, and 2 stock pressings, that got out of the hands of high Motown personnel and departments.  I still don't believe that record got to the distributors, otherwise more would exist.  I still think only the 6 press run masters were pressed on the stock issue.

Social source share

I never meant to imply that Simon Soussan took the other Company File copy.  I think he bought Tom's copy.  

It would not surprise me if either of the above occurred.

Where is Tom now ?.

Are you still in contact with him ?.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge, maybe he could tell you something nowadays.

Social source share

I'm still stunned by this.

Couldn't be more shocked if I'd found the copy myself.

Think I was the first person to ask the mysterious NickW how much he wanted for it.

I'm still waiting to hear :wink:

He may decide to keep it - and fair play to him if he does - but if it ever comes up for sale I'd certainly be in the bidding.

What makes it really unique - and somehow more intoxicating and important than other 'rarities' that have surfaced in the past 40 odd years - is that none of us knew that it even existed!

It was a myth, a fantasy, a piece of fiction... a legend!

This iconic piece has every possible credential and has raised the game completely.

I said it before and I'll say it again, after this ANYTHING is possible!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I'm still stunned by this.

Couldn't be more shocked if I'd found the copy myself.

Think I was the first person to ask the mysterious NickW how much he wanted for it.

I'm still waiting to hear :wink:

He may decide to keep it - and fair play to him if he does - but if it ever comes up for sale I'd certainly be in the bidding.

What makes it really unique - and somehow more intoxicating and important than other 'rarities' that have surfaced in the past 40 odd years - is that none of us knew that it even existed!

It was a myth, a fantasy, a piece of fiction... a legend!

This iconic piece has every possible credential and has raised the game completely.

I said it before and I'll say it again, after this ANYTHING is possible!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Well apart from the 'revelation of the mystical issue', we've also had a possible sighting of another copy from Ian Dewhirst (OK it was in the 70s but...) and RobbK discussing the existence of two stock copies of Frank Wilson. So all in all it's the most satisfactory and interesting thread I've seen for many a day.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest east rob

Not sure why all the London demos would turn up from the same place, doesn't make sense, they were distributed to the usual outlets / agencies / tv companies, I was behind someone who got one in Eastbourne for instance.

well it wasn't me! :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!