Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Nothing against Mr Manship whatsoever, but come on, even a monkey on a street corner could get big money for this, it will literally sell itself. I bet without putting it on any lists it could raise 25K on this site alone, on eBay more with a worldwide audience etc. This is one of those records that doesn't need a huge marketing and promotion push, all it needs if for nickw to give the word that he wants to sell it. I am sure that most of the serious UK Soul collectors know of it's descovery by now, and are waiting with bated breath cheque books at the ready already signed.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

From the news

A one-cent postage stamp from a 19th-century British colony in South America has become the world's most valuable stamp - again.

The 1856 British Guiana One-Cent Magenta sold at auction at Sotheby's in New York for 9.5 million dollars (£5.6m). It is the fourth time it has broken the auction record for a single stamp in its long history.

The stamp was expected to bring 10-20 million dollars (£5.9-£11.8m). Sotheby's said the buyer wished to remain anonymous. The price included the buyer's premium.

This makes £10,000 for the Darrell Banks look like loose change.

Des

the story goes he had two but burnt one to make the other one scarcer

kev

Social source share

Congratulations Nick!     my advise , put it somewhere very safe  and make no further descisions at this point .

Great Advice, if Nick does decide to sell it will achieve a huge amount ( would not surprise me if more than F W ) a truly wonderful find and it can only increase in value ?? Oh and it aint a bad record either  :yes:

Edited by linda4me
Social source share

Yeah it's going to be real tough to sell this if JM can't be on the case  :lol:

for f*cks sake

How many times on here have we heard people say "How does he get those prices"? 

Social source share

How many times on here have we heard people say "How does he get those prices"? 

The only reason that is said so many times is because of the idiots that will pay so much, and it's usually said when something has sold that's not worth what it has acheived. It's the old addage, "it's only worth what someone will pay". However, this is in a different league, I can't see many people having a spare 30K or so to throw around, this will be only accessable to the hardcore collectors who actually know what the history of it is worth as well as the actual rarity.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well if FW fetched 23K?? and this is the only known copy after 48 years? I'd say there's a chance of 30K.

Reckon your  in the right range, I reckon a few people on here could raise 30k if they wanted to and that's not saying collectors world wide couldn't raise 30k ! This record is as someone stated earlier the Golden Fleece the Holy grail rarer than fw. Compare it to something like the mello souls what's that 14/15 k but to my thinking this is far rarer and should and will command a higher price/ value

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I reckon a few people on here could raise 30k if they wanted to and that's not saying collectors world wide couldn't raise 30k 

It's an absolutely fantastic find, but I wonder whether worldwide collectors (other than ex-pats) share our excitement.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well if FW fetched 23K?? and this is the only known copy after 48 years? I'd say there's a chance of 30K.

You may well be right and yes there are two traceable copies of FW but that's it's only original imprint whereas DB has the Revilot and London demo imprints as well. So not really the same. Having never had the British bug, I probably just don't get it. Fabulous find and for British completists a must but is it such a big item worldwide as AlanB has just said? Good luck to the owner though if he sells. I certainly would!

Edited by SteveM
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Nick should keep the record for a few years and let the yearning for it in the major potential bidders rise.  No reason to sell off early.  I wouldn't worry about others being found in the meantime.  I have never heard of a really excellent Soul record having only one copy known.  But, at the same time, A UK issue won't have the same international demand as a US Soul issue.  It will be interesting to see what it will eventually bring.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nick should keep the record for a few years and let the yearning for it in the major potential bidders rise.  No reason to sell off early.  I wouldn't worry about others being found in the meantime.  I have never heard of a really excellent Soul record having only one copy known.  But, at the same time, A UK issue won't have the same international demand as a US Soul issue.  It will be interesting to see what it will eventually bring.

very true Rob, although it's hard to say whether or not there is a hurry for the owner to sell it as we do not know his financial circumstances. I know for a fact that if it was myself being constantly broke, and I found something like this that would take the financial pressure off for a fair bit of time, I would have no hesitation to sell it. At the end of the day it would still have been myself that descovered it and I will have owned the rarest UK Soul record of all time, at least for a little while.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

very true Rob, although it's hard to say whether or not there is a hurry for the owner to sell it as we do not know his financial circumstances. I know for a fact that if it was myself being constantly broke, and I found something like this that would take the financial pressure off for a fair bit of time, I would have no hesitation to sell it. At the end of the day it would still have been myself that descovered it and I will have owned the rarest UK Soul record of all time, at least for a little while.

fair enough i reckon that this could make 20+K, but are there other copies out there?, What would happen to the value if suddenly 2 others, maybe hearing about this come forward with their own copies (not in any way suggesting that this could happen, but the hype might be enough if they exist). I think that all would get 20K (being so rare),

Anyway well done Nick on finding this, and good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Social source share

I never meant to imply that Simon Soussan took the other Company File copy.  I think he bought Tom's copy.  I don't think Simon ever had access to records in Motown's Record files.  No doubt someone else took the other one, and kept it for himself, or sold it to someone who never showed it to anyone with connections to The NS crowd.  As far as Simon never showing the stock issue to a Brit, I think that is possible.  You seem to think it's not possible.  I don't even know if Soussan ended up with the record.  I DO know that I saw him browsing through our record shelves and playing records on our turntable, while we were doing other things.  I know that Tom was desperate for operating cash.  I do know that ALL the records I saw were missing were all NS played at that time, or "stompers" not yet played.  Maybe Tom sold them to a different NS enthusiast (but, IF so, he was likely to be a Brit).  Could it have been a Brit who would never show it to ANYONE involved in The NS Scene?  Highly unlikely.  So, I certainly have no idea where the Motown File copy that we didn't have ended up.  And, I really can't know for sure where where "OUR" copy ended up, or, really, even how it left us.  All I know is that, those 2 stock pressings DID exist, and now, I seemed to have jumped to an incorrect conclusion about Ron Murphy's copy, and it was a DJ copy.  So, that means there were, at least 2 white DJs, and 2 stock pressings, that got out of the hands of high Motown personnel and departments.  I still don't believe that record got to the distributors, otherwise more would exist.  I still think only the 6 press run masters were pressed on the stock issue.

Howdy Robb, yesterday I was at a friend's place and he showed me that French book "Motown Soul & Glamour" by Giles Petard & Florent Mazzoleni that bares a scan of what seems to be indeed a REAL stock copy (purple/mauve logo) of Frank Wilson inside. So indeed, it's no infatuation (there's been some few years ago) or some bad introduction in proposing "another" real-deal one offered for sale/private auction… And so 2 promos at least are known about, scanned and located. And at least 2 stock issues somewhere else that were with Motown. With one minty scanned and pictured in that French book ! Cheers for those infos (even though you talked about it before apparently, but this is new to me and others) and the corrections on our wrong beliefs/informations.

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Just picked this up elsewhere...

This copy was known about for years, maybe 12 years or so ago pete waterman tried to buy it in this same collection , most of us that knew kept it very quiet for obvious reasons, now if it's a different collection then there is more then one copy !

Social source share

No wishing to spoil the DB find, but I have read about the Frank Wilson and like to state the following and could back up Rob's statement.

Back in about 1999/2000 I had a conversation with a known West Midlands DJ and we got on the subject about FW. I must say that I have never found this person to be untruthful and is totally honest, so this is what he stated to me.

"There are not two FW's there are five and the three are in private collections in the UK, which have been undisclosed to the soul world. All I can tell you is, that one (The 3rd one) is in the hands of a West Midlands collector and I have seen and handled it when I went round to his house; This was not a copy, but 100% genuine.

I did ask him who this was and he was not saying the collectors name as he swore he would not say who had it or how he got it, but he lives in the West Midlands. The other two copies by all accounts are in the hands of collectors who have a passion for collecting Rare Records and live in the south of England and got a lot of cash. 

I've said - Now for the Tin Hat

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had a small "find" a few years ago that came thru a Decca agent i think.All M-,but unsurprisingly  no DB among it.

Off to another store soon,full of British stuff,which i guess has been filtered many times.Taking sandwiches and a flask - wish ne luck.!! 

Social source share

Had a small "find" a few years ago that came thru a Decca agent i think.All M-,but unsurprisingly  no DB among it.

Off to another store soon,full of British stuff,which i guess has been filtered many times.Taking sandwiches and a flask - wish ne luck.!! 

On a similar note, the white label test press of Len Barry "Time Of Year" LP also came from an ex-decca employee, who had various other Decca related test presses (one that I remember was a Rolling Stones "Deram" test press)

I think with these and with the Darrell Banks, the copies of anything that do go to reps / quality engineers etc. within the company are soon forgotten about, and whether the record goes on to be a number one smash hit, a dismal failure, or completely withdrawn and destroyed for whatever reason, those early "samples" from the day before yesterday are just forgotten about. (The "Stones / Len Barry" guy also had other records that were either demos or TP's of standard release stuff.)

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest nickw

Well bugger me its looking like one hell of a week in the strange world of record collecting.

It gets more confusing by the minute.

Click to enlarge.

:lol:

Social source share

totally unsurprised, as everyone else on here should be, that 300 post has almost been reached, such is the enormous publicity this has created, what a truly remarkable story about a unique historical document, if it's okay to use that description. i think that a good many of us punters are awakening to the genuine possibility of this disc achieving a world record price, assuming it does come up for sale/auction and many are slowly, but surely, edging toward the mark i was thinking which would be £30k...such a price has to be taken seriously and there are people on this planet who won't even blink at the necessity of acquiring it.....just looking at the picture is enough to blow anyone's mind, to see IS to believe and it's taken HALF of our lifetimes ( as in 50/60 somethings ) to obtain the final proof. the chances are, if nick does decide to sell, it may disappear from sight again..what a shame that would be...unfortunately, it is a possibility we may have to live with.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was just looking at other versions of "Open the Door to your heart" and noticed that on copies of Darrell Banks version he is credited as being the writer on singles and "Darrell Banks Is Here" album. However, on Tyrone Davis' album "Can I Change MyMind" it is credited to both Darrell Eubanks (being his given name) and Donnie Elbert.When in fact Donnie Elbert wrote the song and won a court case in his favour. Tyrone Davis' album came out in 1969 so just wondered if anyone has a version that is credited soley to Donnie Elbert.

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was just looking at other versions of "Open the Door to your heart" and noticed that on copies of Darrell Banks version he is credited as being the writer on singles and "Darrell Banks Is Here" album. However, on Tyrone Davis' album "Can I Change MyMind" it is credited to both Darrell Eubanks (being his given name) and Donnie Elbert.When in fact Donnie Elbert wrote the song and won a court case in his favour. Tyrone Davis' album came out in 1969 so just wondered if anyone has a version that is credited soley to Donnie Elbert.

Kev

I'm sure that all US / UK releases up to the Stateside reissue do not mention Donnie Elbert, whether any later reissues have been corrected I couln't say - Did it get any recent reissue on Outta Site / Goldmine etc.. Or maybe a CD reissue? If so might be worth checking, but probably not.

Social source share

Credited on the PRS database to Darrell and Darrell alone.

No credit to Donnie Elbert to be seen

Never seen it credited to Donnie Elbert although apparently there was a legal case to resolve the matter in Elbert's favour.

The Capitol's version on their LP credits the song to 'Eubanks (Darrell Banks) and Lawrence'. Who's Lawrence one wonders?

Social source share

"BABY WALK RIGHT IN" a.k.a. "OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART"

credited to both Donnie Elbert and Darrell Eubanks over at BMI:

https://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=74426&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

Yes, I have heard Donnie Elbert's claim to have written the song a long time ago, along with a number of other some fanciful claims. He may well have won a court case over it against an "empty chair" after Banks had been shot dead too.....but I am far from persuaded. I mean we don't have Bank's version to compare now do we. So Donnie has laid his claim on BMI, great, that's proof then -eh? :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Yes, I have heard Donnie Elbert's claim to have written the song a long time ago, along with a number of other some fanciful claims. He may well have won a court case over it against an "empty chair" after Banks had been shot dead too.....but I am far from persuaded. I mean we don't have Bank's version to compare now do we. So Donnie has laid his claim on BMI, great, that's proof then -eh? :lol:

I really REALLY like all Darrell Banks stuff and found the story of his life, death and the grave stone so, so interesting. I have all his records, most in a couple of format's (Demo, Issue, UK, USA etc). I'd like to add a nice London Issue but the chances are, well, BLEAK! (I would pay a fair bit Nick if you're interested :D )

The backing track pop's up a few times on different songs and I'd love to know if this was the first and others were using the track of a successful record or if this was a copy. :g:

Anyway, the thing I always found interesting having read various accounts of "who wrote it" was that Darrell was NEVER credited with writing anything else either good bad or indifferent. I guess you could say it leads you to think it's therefore unlikely his one and only song writing attempt was such a fantastic tune OR he only had 1 song in him and it was a real CRACKER!

Kev Bod

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

Most accounts of Banks's life and times mention the Donnie Elbert court case which was decided in Elbert's favour - while Banks was still alive. It was held that the Donnie Elbert version of the song had been altered sufficiently to give co-credit, however. 

It's interesting that while Elbert wrote around 100 songs in his career, Banks has only one songwriting credit to his name. Guess which one.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!