Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Most accounts of Banks's life and times mention the Donnie Elbert court case which was decided in Elbert's favour - while Banks was still alive. It was held that the Donnie Elbert version of the song had been altered sufficiently to give co-credit, however. 

It's interesting that while Elbert wrote around 100 songs in his career, Banks has only one songwriting credit to his name. Guess which one.

This could suggest that Donnie Elbert actually recorded the song.

How else ?, unless Banks just changed some of the lyrics.

Social source share

Yes, I have heard Donnie Elbert's claim to have written the song a long time ago, along with a number of other some fanciful claims. He may well have won a court case over it against an "empty chair" after Banks had been shot dead too.....but I am far from persuaded. I mean we don't have Bank's version to compare now do we. So Donnie has laid his claim on BMI, great, that's proof then -eh? :lol:

I thought the court case arose at the time, out of the fact that Elbert wanted royalties because the song was a hit. DB didn't get shot until 1970, and the Tyrone Davis album came out in 1969 with both credited as songwriters, surely as a consequence of the court case. So not necessarily an "empty chair" scenario!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This could suggest that Donnie Elbert actually recorded the song.

How else ?, unless Banks just changed some of the lyrics.

Yes, the co-writing credit is based on the change of tempo and some altered lyrics. I don't think there's an Elbert version though. He and DB were friends from Buffalo NY, and Elbert apparently gave the song to DB to sing onstage at the Revilot Lounge, as it suited his style and wasn't aware that he intended to record it - or so the story goes.

There's no doubt that it is one of the all-time great soul anthems, so I guess it's pretty pointless discussing who wrote what or when but it helps to make the whole Darrell Banks story complete.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, the co-writing credit is based on the change of tempo and some altered lyrics. I don't think there's an Elbert version though. He and DB were friends from Buffalo NY, and Elbert apparently gave the song to DB to sing onstage at the Revilot Lounge, as it suited his style and wasn't aware that he intended to record it - or so the story goes.

There's no doubt that it is one of the all-time great soul anthems, so I guess it's pretty pointless discussing who wrote what or when but it helps to make the whole Darrell Banks story complete.

Well that's a relief at least I wont have to try and sort out

yet another version of the song, think I have 3 already. 

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Other versions of OTDTYH, to my knowledge....

Jackie Wilson

Tyrone Davis

The Capitols

Betty Wright

Chris Farlowe

Little Milton

Willie Clayton

Gregory Isaacs

Lew Kirton

Freddie Scott titled "Open Up The Door To Your Heart"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most accounts of Banks's life and times mention the Donnie Elbert court case which was decided in Elbert's favour - while Banks was still alive. It was held that the Donnie Elbert version of the song had been altered sufficiently to give co-credit, however. 

It's interesting that while Elbert wrote around 100 songs in his career, Banks has only one songwriting credit to his name. Guess which one.

OK fair enough. But Elbert has also laid claim to things he clearly wasn't involved in.....back to the record - it's only a record :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I've been on Soul Source a number of years and think this is one of the best threads ever. Some great input and I have found it enthralling. Makes

a change from the usual fancy dress and ovo stuff. Well done Nick and thanks 

Social source share

yes

So what there were not many pressed on a certain label. I still don't see the big deal with what label it is on if you can get the same song from the same time period on another label.

Two camps mate, both love the music, but one is addicted to collecting the original records as well, I think you can guess where were at on this thread...

But its all fun, and utterly exhilarating for some, me I'll have to dream of finding a WD on Aussie Stateside, because that doesn't exist as a 45 except only in my imagination, and cause I dont collect British... :rofl:

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

yes

So what there were not many pressed on a certain label. I still don't see the big deal with what label it is on if you can get the same song from the same time period on another label.

If I were you I'd get me coat mate. No offence :)

Social source share

yes

your obviously not interested in the collecting side of the music, but if you like the music and a cheaper copy floats your boat that's fine, but think you will find the majority on here are serious collectors and a cheapo copy wouldn't float thier boats if you get what I mean lol
Social source share

What is the big deal on what label the song is on when you can find it on another label for thousands less?

So there are many people who collect records on British labels as opposed to US ones. This record was thought not to exist on an issue for nigh on 50 years, so for the record collectors it's a massive find……not just soul collectors but general record collectors - they're not interested in having it on Revilot (probably have it anyway), for them this find is the holy grail of collecting British release records…..

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It heard from Mitch Parkin a mate of mine that all the db demos turned up in one place at a market or something ,but he also told me an interesting story that Eddie Hubbard had a db London issue from the BBC library given to him by an employee, only for the employee to ask for it back due to hierarchy  finding out, how true this is I don't know maybe Eddie can confirm or unravel this story ?

I wish it was true , but no , that story is untrue .I had a London demo for many years ,which I won for £65 in auction from Tony Ellis in 1980 , but no issue copy .

Social source share

Guest PandaXP

Well, well, well. This brings back memories of hanging around with Ian D back in 1978. I remember him being absolutely gutted, when a yellow London demo slipped through his fingers for £75 in a Nottingham record shop...

Perhaps my all-time favourite Northern Soul record, and I wouldn't part with my own UK Stateside copy for love or money :)

Social source share

What is the big deal on what label the song is on when you can find it on another label for thousands less?

Exactly!................That`s why I gave away my world cup final and plane tickets to Brazil when I can stay home and watch it on TV!

:thumbup:

Social source share

I see it has the BIEM authors rights logo on the label, had a quick look at some of my LAR records and don't see that on them. You do see it on European records though.

BIEM  =  Bureau International des Sociétés Gérant les Droits d'Enregistrement et de Reproduction Mécanique

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

I see it has the BIEM authors rights logo on the label, had a quick look at some of my LAR records and don't see that on them. You do see it on European records though.

BIEM  =  Bureau International des Sociétés Gérant les Droits d'Enregistrement et de Reproduction Mécanique

Both the promo and the issue has got "NCB" on it as well which is the Scandinavian copyright agency.

This can be found on thousands of UK pressed 45's from the 60's.

I assume so that those 45's could rightfully be sold in those territories as well.

For example a lot of danish "releases" from the 60's has got a picture sleeve printed in Denmark, but a UK pressed 45 inside the sleeve.

Social source share

Both the promo and the issue has got "NCB" on it as well which is the Scandinavian copyright agency. This can be found on thousands of UK pressed 45's from the 60's. I assume so that those 45's could rightfully be sold in those territories as well. For example a lot of danish "releases" from the 60's has got a picture sleeve printed in Denmark, but a UK pressed 45 inside the sleeve.

Without wandering too far from the subject BIEM is an agreement between the US & Europe and yes you do tend to find it on "continental" releases. Just checked a couple of UK labels I had lying around, none seem to have it, makes you wonder if it wasn't a UK pressing meant for another European country ?

Social source share

Just checked a couple of UK labels I had lying around, none seem to have it, makes you wonder if it wasn't a UK pressing meant for another European country ?

No, I think you're making it more difficult/complicated than what it is.

Loads and loads of 45's that definitely were made for primarily UK consumption had NCB and/or BIEM on the labels. It appears on LPs as well.

The NCB/BIEM was on the label so that the record could be sold in those countries as well if need be.

Some examples below. All UK pressings of "La Bamba" has for example got NCB/BIEM on the label.

post-1392-0-55498400-1403612600_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-33777300-1403612610_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-23197100-1403612616_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-83250700-1403612625_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-78116500-1403612631_thumb.jp  

post-1392-0-52417600-1403612638_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

No, I think you're making it more difficult/complicated than what it is.The NCB/BIEM was on the label so that the record could be sold in those countries as well if need be. Some examples below.

All UK pressings of "La Bamba" has for example got NCB/BIEM on the label.

Except this one.......................  :thumbsup:

post-4408-0-28953600-1403619740_thumb.jp

Social source share

I was talking about records produced in the 1960's.

The scan you posted is the 1979 reissue.

Bugger me, that's a 1979 reissue? Looks like an authentic early London release, until you look closer at the credits etc.

Still looks amazing though.

Social source share

London put out at least two of these tri-centre reissues around 1978/79.  The other one was a Charlie Gracie 45 which originally came out on UK Parlophone - not London!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi All  and do I like it when some people cock up, only for some sage to put them right! 

What he should do, is look for the error of his ways, here is my copy of this great tune, (John Manship has not listed it in his UK Price Guide??)

many LONDON AMERICAN UK 45s have the European agreement on them I have picked LITTLE HANK DEMO as it has a similar history to OTDTYH, however the issue was circulated for 5 days, and very rare to get today. scans from my collection.

DAVE K

post-13241-0-17654800-1404023000_thumb.j

post-13241-0-41352500-1404023044_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sorry about being incredulous but when you've been collecting British as long as some of us have, and a record known to previously not exist turns up, people are going to be a little sceptical.  This is a record that's been talked about for nearly 50 years and not one single copy has ever been found.  If you have found it - massive congratulations, you have the rarest UK record ever made I should think.  

yes it has .....this fellas found one :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!