Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Really good article too. Much better reading it in an original newspaper as well. Don't mind the online take but prefer to get my hands on the hard copy. Can't see anyone in Hull stumping up for Frank Wilson and pretty sure John would not disclose any details of any winning bidder.

Can't remember when exactly but I do recall JM saying that a guy from Hull bought it for his girlfriend, I think it may have been part of the blurb on his site when selling another record ???

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't remember when exactly but I do recall JM saying that a guy from Hull bought it for his girlfriend, I think it may have been part of the blurb on his site when selling another record ???

She must have been a girl in a million for him to do that. Frankly, the notion is highly implausible as I can not think of any bloke that would stump up that sort of money for a record with writing on the label AND just give it away... I can see a girl in Hull being head over heels with a guy called Kenny and surprising him with a rare record paid for with money from a joint bank account. The mystery deepens...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It was adrian chiles...he called it rarest 45inch record...lol.

You're right. As I wrote Durham it sounded wrong. :D

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

She must have been a girl in a million for him to do that. Frankly, the notion is highly implausible as I can not think of any bloke that would stump up that sort of money for a record with writing on the label AND just give it away... I can see a girl in Hull being head over heels with a guy called Kenny and surprising him with a rare record paid for with money from a joint bank account. The mystery deepens...

wasen't john prescott buying it for his friend tracy was it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The last Imread about Frank Wilson bought from JM was it was bought by a guy in Australia for his girlfriend, but the record has since been sold on and is now in USA or Canada. 

lets hope DB buyer isn't quite as mysterious!

Well I was told it was bought by someone in Hull for his girlfriend who wasn't really into soul.  They then later split up?  Where it is now, dunno.

Social source share

Well, this is a thing of rare beauty. I think so many of us have a big soft spot for this record because the Stateside issue was one of the first proper Northern records we bought; it was an age before it got deleted.  

I don't think you can put a price on a one-off like this, but I'd be amazed if it went for less than £20k.

Whats a great year it's been for Northern soul, one way and another. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Must admit I thought it would have gone for at least £10,000+ more then that?

If I had the money to buy either FW or Darrell,no contest Dazza all the way for me.

Cheers

Martyn

Yes, but we still don't know what it would have gone for.

May well have been other potential buyers who couldn't place their bids. If so, I bet they (and perhaps the seller), are not too happy at the moment.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

May well have been other potential buyers who couldn't place their bids. If so, I bet they (and perhaps the seller), are not too happy at the moment.

Was just going to say the same, possible bidders waiting til the last seconds, and crash......................

Social source share

And the seller of the T-shirt!  :wicked:

Social source share

May well have been other potential buyers who couldn't place their bids. If so, I bet they (and perhaps the seller), are not too happy at the moment.Pete

Pete

So do we think there will be a recount??

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Pete

So do we think there will be a recount??

Cheers

Martyn

I doubt it Martyn.

The site has occasionally crashed before at the business end of auctions. It happened in my favour once, when I was in the lead on a record, and I still received the 'winning' e-mail as confirmation. I suspect that will have happened again, and will constitute a contract.

Although, having said that, internet sales confirmations are not always taken as 'contracts'. There have been several incidents - one in the last few days at Amazon - where incorrectly priced goods have not been enforceable. I guess we'll have to watch this space.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Given the interest this has generated I would imagine any serious bidders would have got their bids in rather than take a chance on the final seconds.

I would rather take a chance on a late bid than take a chance on being outbid, regardless of interest/price, I don't think i'm the only one with this train of thought either

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!