Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 2014 London

Guest nickw

Yes, but we still don't know what it would have gone for.

May well have been other potential buyers who couldn't place their bids. If so, I bet they (and perhaps the seller), are not too happy at the moment.

Maybe there was no last second bidders....bidding in the last seconds is pointless on JM's auctions as we all know cos of his deadline extensions. Just saying like  :huh:

Social source share

Maybe there was no last second bidders....bidding in the last seconds is pointless on JM's auctions as we all know cos of his deadline extensions. Just saying like  :huh:

You may be right John. But we don't know, and we will never know unless somebody who was intending to make a further bid actually tells us.

However, my connection to the auction failed with 2.52 (minutes) to go. Others say theirs failed at different times. I wasn't going to bid on this record, but on nearly all of the (many) records I have bought on JM's auction I have waited until the last few seconds to come in.

Also, I can't think of another record of, say, £5k or more where the time hasn't been extended past the nominal 6.00 pm deadline with continued bidding.

Plus, the Japanese collector who bought the biggest items in the last three years (such as the Mello Souls, Prophets, and Eddie Parker) NEVER used to place his first bid until 30 seconds to go.

Based on this history, I would have been astounded if the Darrell Banks price hadn't risen further.

It is a shame for all concerned (including us onlookers), apart from the 'lucky' winner.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's obviously worth in the end what someone was willing to pay. Good luck to whoever bought it.....Hope it brings as much joy to them owning it as it has to me just been able to listen to such a classic example of this music we all love so much.Thanks to Nick for allowing everybody to have the chance to own it

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I would rather take a chance on a late bid than take a chance on being outbid, regardless of interest/price, I don't think i'm the only one with this train of thought either

I can understand that if it was eBay but there is no advantage with JM as auction gets extended and those you may have beaten on eBay would have time to rebid.
Social source share

With all this publicity about Darrell Banks, one hopes that  the legal rights complexities relating to DCP (Dick Clark Productions) and US TV show American Bandstand may one day soon be sorted out because Banks appeared on the show in 1966 performing "Open The Door To Your Heart".

Now that really would be something worth seeing.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"He said the collector who won the auction comes from the UK but was not one of the site’s regular users."

I'm speculating that “dalerivers” is a London label collector rather than a Northern Soul collector !

He is very much into "Northern", a collector and an old Wigan boy.  He got in touch with John to say so.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

See post # 8 of this thread.

Surely there is a bigger story to come out than that.

i.e. how did the collection come to market? Was it the executors of this guys estate who sold the collection or a beneficiary or family member.

How did Nickw get wind of the collection being sold?

Was it auction or private sale?

Just wondering . . . . . . . . . .

Social source share

Surely there is a bigger story to come out than that.

i.e. how did the collection come to market? Was it the executors of this guys estate who sold the collection or a beneficiary or family member.

How did Nickw get wind of the collection being sold?

Was it auction or private sale?

Just wondering . . . . . . . . . .

Ask nickw , he should know :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Ask nickw , he should know :thumbsup:

Would be nice if Nickw would share on here.

Might be nothing to do with the executors of the guy's estate. But I'm an executor of a will myself at the moment. This got me wondering what would happen if I sold something way below its real value? Could the beneficiaries sue me? Way off topic . . . but food for thought . . .

Social source share

Was it the executors of this guys estate who sold the collection or a beneficiary or family member.

I think that's a bit of a flash way of explaining the more likely explanation.

Ere, there's a pile of those bloody record things ( Dad , Fred,  etc insert favourite) lifted from work years ago and did bugger all with

after all these years. Nobody wants these nowadays , who can we off these to for a few quid. Must be some idjit out there

Social source share

Would be nice if Nickw would share on here.

Might be nothing to do with the executors of the guy's estate. But I'm an executor of a will myself at the moment. This got me wondering what would happen if I sold something way below its real value? Could the beneficiaries sue me? Way off topic . . . but food for thought . . .

Yes, the beneficiaries could sue for negligence. That's not to say that they would win, but they could sue.

A colleague is currently investigating a similar situation.

A friend passed away leaving his assets to a charity. The executor 'gave away' some of these assets completely against the wishes of the deceased's written will.

The recipient has since sold these assets.

The charity has recourse against both parties for losses incurred.

Available recourse includes a) The charity can sue the executor for negligence b) The charity can pursue the recipient for the value of the assets.

The executor has significant responsibilities to ensure that the wishes of the deceased are carried out in accordance with the will and to make sure that the recipients receive what is due to them.

Sean

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Yes, the beneficiaries could sue for negligence. That's not to say that they would win, but they could sue.

A friend passed away leaving his assets to a charity. The executor 'gave away' some of these assets completely against the wishes of the deceased's written will.

Available recourse includes a) The charity can sue the executor for negligence b) The charity can pursue the recipient for the value of the assets.

The executor has significant responsibilities to ensure that the wishes of the deceased are carried out in accordance with the will and to make sure that the recipients receive what is due to them.

Sean

Thanks Sean you confirmed what I thought.

What a thankless task it is being the executor of even a fairly straightforward will. Hours and days of work and stress and then you can still be sued if you mess up. You would barely wish it on your worst enemy.

Social source share

What a thankless task it is being the executor of even a fairly straightforward will. Hours and days of work and stress and then you can still be sued if you mess up. You would barely wish it on your worst enemy.

That's true mate.

Good luck with it all.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Sean

"b) The charity can pursue the recipient for the value of the assets."

Really ?  Difficult to see on what legal basis the charity would have an action against the recipient ,  unless the recipient had prior notice or knowledge of the provisions of the will and in particular the specific bequest to the charity.

Yes, the executor has a fiduciary duty to the beneficiaries  however a recipient third party  would have no legal responsibility to the beneficiaries , unless some sort of fraud or other criminal act was involved.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Not much chance of messing up if the executor acts carefully and with good legal advice if the executor were in doubt about anything.

If you think the task of executor is going to be too onerous,  ask the testator  not to appoint you as executor in the will.

And even after the testator passes  , you can still decline to take up the appointment.

A testator can also make provision in the will for the executor to receive commission or remuneration for his or her work as executor.

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

"b) The charity can pursue the recipient for the value of the assets."

Really ?  Difficult to see on what legal basis the charity would have an action against the recipient ,  unless the recipient had prior notice or knowledge of the provisions of the will and in particular the specific bequest to the charity.

That's precisely the situation.

The recipient obtained the assets fraudulently, effectively by claiming to be acting on behalf of the charity.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

With all this publicity about Darrell Banks, one hopes that the legal rights complexities relating to DCP (Dick Clark Productions) and US TV show American Bandstand may one day soon be sorted out because Banks appeared on the show in 1966 performing "Open The Door To Your Heart".

Now that really would be something worth seeing

Since identifying the record we have been researching and archiving as much information as we possibly can on Darrell Banks which led us to correspond with DCP through both their licensing and media archives departments about his American Bandstand appearance. Surprisingly to us, we have literally just received an email to state that there is NO record of Banks ever appearing on American Bandstand. Anybody think they know different?

Apologies!

Edited by nickw
Social source share

From https://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Darrell%20Banks.html

" ... Darrell gigged regularly on the Midwestern Soul circuit, and performed on 'American Bandstand' as well as supporting Jackie Wilson during this period. In 1967 he relocated to the Atlantic (Atco) imprint (releasing 'Here Come the Tears' b/w 'I've Got That Feelin' and 'Angel Baby (Don't Ever Leave Me)' b/w 'Look into the Eyes of a Fool' in 1967).  "

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I have told DPC about the various sources available that have led us to believe that he appeared on Bandstand but they say there is definitely no record with them.

Social source share

I really thought this would achieve more than the "Frank Wilson" there is no doubt this is rarer ??? only copy,pristine condition ?? 

Perhaps some think its not real or there could be more unlike the Frank Wilson copies ??

Social source share

I have told DPC about the various sources available that have led us to believe that he appeared on Bandstand but they say there is definitely no record with them.

Didn't   DCP have another tv show during the mid 60's that was called "Where The Action Is"(?)

Maybe Darrell appeared on that show and it got confused with "Bandstand" ???

Edited by the yank
Social source share

DPC had another tv show during the mid 60's that was called "Where The Action Is". 

Maybe Darrell appeared on that show and it got confused with "Bandstand" ???

Thanks, I will run that past the guys at DPC and see if that turns anything up, appreciated.

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 17/06/2014 at 16:49, sheldonsoul said:

It heard from Mitch Parkin a mate of mine that all the db demos turned up in one place at a market or something ,but he also told me an interesting story that Eddie Hubbard had a db London issue from the BBC library given to him by an employee, only for the employee to ask for it back due to hierarchy  finding out, how true this is I don't know maybe Eddie can confirm or unravel this story ?

No that isn’t true at all regarding me having a Darrell Banks London issue .

Social source share

• 5 months later...
On 03/03/2020 at 10:09, Mike said:

just a timely highlight nod on one of the most viewed posts on here over the 20+ years we been running

I say timely as the 45 that got this going is up for auction again

here's the link to the auction....

Is it the same copy or has a second one turned up? 🤔

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!