Is This Becoming The Norm On Ebay These Days?

Mrtag

Is it just me or are sellers becoming more economical with the truth when describing records on Ebay these days?  I just recently purchased a record from Canada described as Mint- with a nice picture of the "A" side of the 45 in the advert!! the record arrived and looked great when I took it out of the package to check it was Ok it looked pretty good  a couple of light marks but nothing untoward until I turned it over and right through the middle of the "B" side label in Black felt tip is written PLUG SIDE but no mention of anything in the advert ! when I mentioned it to the seller His reply was "nobody gives a hoot what's written on the flip when it's clearly the top side that's "desired"  :g:  It wasn't an expensive record but I would have liked to have made my own decision as to what I want to buy and not buy and if someone quotes a record as MINT- I don't expect the felt tip gremlins to have been there!! is this to much to expect and do I have to email every seller and clarify that you haven't missed anything out of the description like the record has been cracked in two or any other little fault you may have overlooked!! I wouldn't normally be bringing something like this up but this is second one in as many weeks the last 45 was shipped to my friend in the U.S. as the seller wouldn't ship to the U.K. that was described as VG+ when it arrived at my friends home he tells me it's not as described it is dished it has a nick/cut in the intro and the "b" side label that is showing partially in the sleeve is to cover the fact a third of the label is missing!! :facepalm: when questioned he said he never noticed it   :shades:   ffs you just wouldn't, :dash2:  Would You? :rolleyes: Rant Over :ohmy:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Is it just me or are sellers becoming more economical with the truth when describing records on Ebay these days?

I guess it's just you. Because not grading the "unwanted"/ballad side is nothing recent. This has happened to me quite often even back then in pre-internet times. It's a pain in the ass, I agree.

Social source share

I guess it's just you. Because not grading the "unwanted"/ballad side is nothing recent. This has happened to me quite often even back then in pre-internet times. It's a pain in the ass, I agree.

I know what you're saying but even if the 45 is a double header some sellers just see fit to describe the better condition side and not mention anything at all about the flip! this cannot be right! I recently put part of a collection up for sale through a well known dealer and one particular record had a near mint plug side and a mark on the flip! which was non starter of a record that you would not play! but the whole record became VG+ because as the dealer stated he has to grade the record overall. which I had to except personally I would have described both sides as they where but most people do grade on the overall appearance of the record! but surely you must describe both sides come what may!!

Social source share

HI ALL...  IN THE OLDUN DAYS, When we got records from junk shops. record dealers lists, or at venues from sales box's. in them days before internet,  we were happy with a record in any condition, in-fact it was rare to get a mint record, a few years ago, I asked the question about people wanting mint condition only, today we don't even see many records sold that are below VG+, so who has all those records below VG today as I for one would buy a CAJUN HEART in VG? take em as they come if they are rare, a few marks on the B side is hardly a problem in my book,

DAVE K

• Helpful 2
Social source share

HI ALL...  IN THE OLDUN DAYS, When we got records from junk shops. record dealers lists, or at venues from sales box's. in them days before internet,  we were happy with a record in any condition, in-fact it was rare to get a mint record, a few years ago, I asked the question about people wanting mint condition only, today we don't even see many records sold that are below VG+, so who has all those records below VG today as I for one would buy a CAJUN HEART in VG? take em as they come if they are rare, a few marks on the B side is hardly a problem in my book,

DAVE K

Hi Dave, I have loads of records that are VG-, G And some poor but thats how I bought them! not being advertised as mint and only being vg or whatever I know some collectors only want mint 45's and in my humble opinion there are a lot of records these collectors will never own as some 45's just don't exist in that kind of condition and you have to take what you can get! Atb John.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think if there are defects ion the B side the seller should note them. Like "WOL on B side" or something…..

I agree!! some sellers are scared they won't get full value on the 45 if they describe it as it is!!! but you only have to look at some of the bigger sellers on ebay that have some dog rough 45's for sale and give true descriptions and they make mega bucks!! which just goes to show that honesty does pay or that some people will buy a 45 in any condition and still pay top dollar!!

Social source share

And unfortunately on the other side of the coin - buyers who purchase records that are described say correctly as mint minus - then open a SNAD case via ebay - get their monies back - seller left out of pocket -  if you are lucky you might get it returned after they have cdr  the 45  - yes this is true on 10 % of all my Ebay transactions.....funny enough very rarely happens with sales on all other sites..... :yes:

Even had a customer return a 45 because and I quote  ' the record has a large hole in the middle '  - no shit sherlock its a usa 45 only came out in usa so how do you expect it to have a uk centre ?????

Had a 45 back yesterday that was , mint unplayed -  described correctly  -  only avenue open is to block the buyer from future transactions....

Edited by glynthornhill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I picked a Jo Ann Garrett up last week, description:

'slight storage warp NAP'

...received it and the ssw was a stepped heat warp, almost like a shelf in the vinyl - it played through but had that slight 'thud' for the first few spins and I've used this seller for a while now.

So I agree of late I've had a few with description errors from usually hawk-eyed dealers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And unfortunately on the other side of the coin - buyers who purchase records that are described say correctly as mint minus - then open a SNAD case via ebay - get their monies back - seller left out of pocket -  if you are lucky you might get it returned after they have cdr  the 45  - yes this is true on 10 % of all my Ebay transactions.....funny enough very rarely happens with sales on all other sites..... :yes:

Even had a customer return a 45 because and I quote  ' the record has a large hole in the middle '  - no shit sherlock its a usa 45 only came out in usa so how do you expect it to have a uk centre ?????

Had a 45 back yesterday that was , mint unplayed -  described correctly  -  only avenue open is to block the buyer from future transactions....

As you say there are two side to every story! but if you are honest with the description then there shouldn't be any problems!! Ok you may always get the odd window licker  :rofl:   but hey thats life after 45 years in sales these type never fail to amuse me! :yes:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

:wicked: 

I picked a Jo Ann Garrett up last week, description:

'slight storage warp NAP'

...received it and the ssw was a stepped heat warp, almost like a shelf in the vinyl - it played through but had that slight 'thud' for the first few spins and I've used this seller for a while now.

So I agree of late I've had a few with description errors from usually hawk-eyed dealers.

Hi Barry, At least it was mentioned :(  but to say you never noticed bold black felt tip on a bright red label or the fact a quarter of the label was missing down one side which some how slipped under the paper sleeve whilst the picture was taken!!  :ohmy: who does the gradings Stevie Wonder??   :g:  :wicked: do these people really think that you will not notice something like this??  :shades:  :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Barry, At least it was mentioned :(  but to say you never noticed bold black felt tip on a bright red label or the fact a quarter of the label was missing down one side which some how slipped under the paper sleeve whilst the picture was taken!!  :ohmy: who does the gradings Stevie Wonder??   :g:  :wicked: do these people really think that you will not notice something like this??  :shades:  :facepalm:

Another Gem that seems to be occurring more often these days is the postage! take time to read the small print if an item goes over say $100 it must be shipped Express Priority Mail at a cost of $42 which I guess you can live with but whats annoying is the fact the seller then takes 5 Days to post the damn thing making delivery time approx 10 days and the 45 you bought the same day for $99.99 and paid only $12 shipping arrives the same day or worst still a day or 2 earlier Doh!! :ohmy:  :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm an uber-picky collector, so these details are important to me, so I assume others would find them important as well.  

It's getting harder to find M- or VG+ soul 45s, but they do crop up on occasion!

Cheers.

One of the records in question wasn't that far from mint- vinyl wise, just a few marks but how could you omit the fact it had writing on label? :(  felt tip to boot!!  :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Having just read all these points from everyone on this thread, I'm firmly in agreement with you on this..... It's just a total cop out to somehow blame you for being too fussy. You put in a bid for a record based on its mint condition as it was advertised...... Not with labels defaced or missing or whatever else may be wrong with it.... It's not a mint record then is it ? Push for a refund.

If you had purchased it knowing the defects and still decided you wanted it then that's different.

Most of us have collected records for years and don't need a lecture on how rare some records are to find in nice condition. It's irrelevant in this case anyway. I agree with you that it's becoming more commonplace to encounter these sorts of problems( the postage is becoming a sellers stealth tax in many cases ! ) that's why it's important to challenge it I think.

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!