Quick Query - Johnny Sayles Can't Get Enough

Boot or re-second issue ?

Boot, has to do with letter "e" not protruding enough. I'm only aware of originals and boots, the boots were made in the 70s, there maybe more recent ones. Doing this all from memory, maybe somebody has a Manship bootbook to quote from ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

And then there`s this one on the plane pink label.......obviously I meant Plain.  Illiterate F@?k!  :shhh:

post-7917-0-17939500-1403692727_thumb.jp

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Only ever seen one of these in the flesh so to speak, that's Ginger Taylors. Anyone else got one? Been looking for one of these for over 20 years. It's a beaut!  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Same as yourself Dave, only seen Gingers.........where are all the rest?

Social source share

Boots - second issues - same thing!

I can guarantee you that in the 70's, very few people asked whether records pressed were legal reissues.

They were known across the board as 'pressings'.

Hey, bootlegs were/are not legit "pale" (to put it in a nice way) look-a-like or almost, while second issues are/were just legit re-presses. Whatever people use to call them at any time in history; import, pressing This one does use the very same template for the label and so, I wonder if this is not just a (even some bit later) repress made by the very same people who did press it first as "‹distributed by Chess records ? Not a bootleg at all I meant as my question.  :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hey, bootlegs were/are not legit "pale" (to put it in a nice way) look-a-like or almost, while second issues are/were just legit re-presses. Whatever people use to call them at any time in history; import, pressing This one does use the very same template for the label and so, I wonder if this is not just a (even some bit later) repress made by the very same people who did press it first as "‹distributed by Chess records ? Not a bootleg at all I meant as my question.  :)

There was a whole series of records booted in the 70s, all with extremely good labels. Jerry Cook & Alex Patten even had original labels but were pressing not re-issues, just boots. From memory this lot included Barbara Mills, Hesitations, Gloria Jones plus a few others, they all were in thick chunky vinyl. Hard to tell the difference until you look close at the vinyl. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 years later...

Just picked up on this topic and wondered,

Where were the Chess distributed ones pressed.

Did St Lawrence distribute the West Coast press themselves.

Why the different label design.

Are there any West Coast demos.

info appreciated thanks

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 19:03, Dave Moore said:

Only ever seen one of these in the flesh so to speak, that's Ginger Taylors. Anyone else got one? Been looking for one of these for over 20 years. It's a beaut!  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

One resides here😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yes they are both reissues or possibly boots, the original of Johnny styles is on a pink st. Laurence label, there is a look alike boot from the 7ts, and way to tell them apart is simply the original has a Chicago address at the bottom boot does not, plus the paper used for the boot is a tad more shiny but you would not notice that unless you got both side by side, boot 15 quid, original now fetches 150, used to be a tenner !  😞

mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!