Darrell Banks 45 In The Guardian

Pete S

The chap who wrote it, Bob Stanley, does know his onions, he wrote a brilliant book on the history of pop Yeah Yeah Yeah, he formed the band Saint Etienne and made one of the greatest records of the 90's, he advises on various music programs and I saw my first ever copy of Don Gardner Is This Really Love at his house, he does know what he is on about.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Good stuff Pete 'Wolves fan' Smith. :thumbsup:

A missed opportunity for a journalist would or could have been " Peter & the wolves " who I believe were a British label act ;)

Well done Pete ,nice to see the story is getting wider recognition and hope Nick is not feeling too pressured to sell it ;)

Social source share

Before I get slagged off for this, firstly the journalist in question asked me to put him in touch with Nick, but Nick declined to speak to him.  Secondly, I don't actually use the phrase "half inched" so there is some poetic license there.  But it's a good plug for Soul Source and at least one person in the comments section has followed the link and come on here.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jun/27/souls-holy-grail-why-the-rarest-record-in-the-world-is-causing-so-much-fuss

Was wondering though, did Nick ask you to go to the journalist?

Social source share

Was wondering though, did Nick ask you to go to the journalist?

No, I was asked if I could get Nick to talk to The Guardian but he said he didn't want to at this point in time: so then Bob asked if he could quote me as he was going to do the piece anyway, so I said of course he could, I've known him for 25 years .  I think he did a great job.

Incidentally, I also had Record Collector magazine asking if I would put them in touch with Nick but I told them the same as I told Bob, he didn't want to do it.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

No, I was asked if I could get Nick to talk to The Guardian but he said he didn't want to at this point in time:

Pete

Why do you think Nick is being so coy about this?

We are all entitled to our privacy but I asked what I thought was a pretty unintrusive question on the other thread - i.e. did the collection containing the DB single come to market as a private sale or through an auction. But no reply.

I'm surprised you guys aren't desperate to know stuff like that. Or maybe information is being shared via PM that some of us aren't seeing.

Just a thought.

Social source share

Pete

Why do you think Nick is being so coy about this?

We are all entitled to our privacy but I asked what I thought was a pretty unintrusive question on the other thread - i.e. did the collection containing the DB single come to market as a private sale or through an auction. But no reply.

I'm surprised you guys aren't desperate to know stuff like that. Or maybe information is being shared via PM that some of us aren't seeing.

Just a thought.

I don't know, but it's his perogative.  This is why I said at the start of this thread, don't anyone moan at me for supplying a quote or the basis of the article when the main man wasn't available for comment.

Social source share

Incidentally, I also had Record Collector magazine asking if I would put them in touch with Nick but I told them the same as I told Bob, he didn't want to do it.

Oh they've woken up at last……what a joke one of the biggest stories in British record collecting in the last decade…..and they were asleep at the wheel. :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am really suprised at The Guardian running an article on a record that nobody apart from the owner has seen.

So do you think we're being had here?  The scans looked conclusive didn't they?  As I said to someone last night - if it is a scam, at least nobody got killed so it's not the end of the world.

Social source share

Pete Im really not sure.A copy turns up out of the blue and its first reported on here.We get some amazing scans....but there is still yet no corroboration from anyone else seeing it in the flesh.Record collecting still does throw up some amazing rarities but the stories are usually accompanied by photos of the record etc.Maybe he us looking for an agent for the record scoop of the post millenium story or he may be worried about ownership.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I don't know, but it's his perogative.  This is why I said at the start of this thread, don't anyone moan at me for supplying a quote or the basis of the article when the main man wasn't available for comment.

Maybe he just doesn't want it known publicly that he has this ... a bit like winning the lottery, you go through the right channels to have it verified, stating you want no publicity... then someone goes to the press and tells them ?

Social source share

Why would you need to come on here to ask about a question on a Darrell Banks issue.The man knows about pressing plants...he knows about freakbeat.He has the connections to be buying ex employees of pressing plants collections. It was widely reported prior to this that the UK issue was rumoured not to exist.Im sure he is in the right circles to find about this record.The record is even on 45 Cat now with no mention that nobody has corroborated its existance.Has anyone seen it?? It seems like the myth and enthusiasm is overtaking solid fact.I want to be proven wrong and I want to see the 5 page Mojo piece and the record being corroborated with John Manship and the owner (whoever that is now).

post-18577-0-96548900-1403948406_thumb.p

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Maybe he just doesn't want it known publicly that he has this ... a bit like winning the lottery, you go through the right channels to have it verified, stating you want no publicity... then someone goes to the press and tells them ?

But he posted it on here and gave us all photographs of it, and asked for people to verify it, because he didn't want anyone to know he'd got it?

Within 60 seconds it was worldwide news.

Social source share

I do not see my post as lazy.He is a member.The search engine would have given him the answer in seconds.A google search would have given the answer in seconds.If this was to remain private then why the post?? This would have been a major scoop for the Guardian.I have sent a pm asking him when this find is going to he verified by an expert.I hope the holy grail has been found but until it has been verified it still remains a myth.

Social source share

I do not see my post as lazy.He is a member.The search engine would have given him the answer in seconds.A google search would have given the answer in seconds.If this was to remain private then why the post?? This would have been a major scoop for the Guardian.I have sent a pm asking him when this find is going to he verified by an expert.I hope the holy grail has been found but until it has been verified it still remains a myth.

Nothing wrong with asking questions.

Social source share