Bobby Womack R.i.p

A genius. Live he was unbeatable, and a lesson in the life of soul every time on stage. Just too sad. But he lived, and in recent times he seemed to have some of his fervour back, although obviously hampered by his health. 

Last year in Glasgow the last 20 seconds of Harry Hippy was life affirming. Proper soul man. I said that night was my goodbye to him, how true.

A legend like no other.

RIP XXXX

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Dreamt last night I was DJing: Daylight, I can Understand it, Think you're lonely noe, woke up crying - haven't done that since Marvin; Curtis died around the time of my mother. Continued awake: How I Miss you Baby, More than I can Stand, Womans Gotta Have It, How could you break my heart Bobby. Not unexpected, he was ghastly at Glastonbury last year - saw him twice in early/ mid eighties but never think of them among the best gigs I've ever been to. Would have been nice to see him in the 70s but - hey - you do what you can. Still, first item on the Beeb as the whole damn world continues to go crazy. Not bad for an artist who, 40 years ago, when he was at the peak of his powers , we thought of as an obscure artist.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A true colossus.

The epithet "greatest" is often mistakenly bandied about but it truly does apply here.

totally agree, what a body of music he has produced..

'If You Want My Love, Put Something Down On It'  and  'You're Welcome, Stop On By', all big favorites..

Rest in Peace Bobby...

Malcolm

Social source share

A genius has left us, but by god, I'm so thankful I got to see him a few years ago at Blackburn. A performance I never wanted to end, & neither did Bobby, as his band had to physically drag him off the stage. Even in illness he was a true showman to the very end.

Rest in Peace now Bobby & go say hi to Harry

With absolute love & sympathy

Alison xxx

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Chris64

I can't say it any better than the many eloquent posts above, but just wanted to add my own RIP Bobby Womack, a total legend of soul music.

I'm genuinely gutted to hear this news. What a career, from 1950s family gospel all the way through 60s, 70s, 80s, and still going in the 21st century. I'm listening to the 'Communication' album now and will stick on the 110th St soundtrack after that, then 'Understanding', 'Facts of Life' - so much great work, the Valentinos, the Poet period...

Thanks for the music, Mr Bobby Womack.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

R.I.P Bobby you will be sorely missed not since the passing of Marvin and Curtis has any loss from the Soul family affected me as much.

John & Ali xx

PS Favourite track - "Love ain't something that you get for free" from the safety zone album

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

RIP Bobby Womack, you were truly GREAT

For those who haven't seen the unsung docu before, and even for those that have.

Takes a few secs to load, and you may have to put up with the shite ads but well worth 37 minutes of anyone's time.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs5ke4_unsung-documentary-bobby-womack-generation-soul-disco-funk_music

Social source share

Sad day.Someone i know will be inconsolable.The impact of first hearing "Home is where.." at the Mecca will always live with me,and made me take notice of his other work."I don t know","Check it out" ,"Daylight","Tried and Convicted" plus so many more.

RIP Bobby.

Social source share

Guest nickw

RIP - one of the very last great soul artists.  Legend is not an overstatement. Listening to The Bravest Man In The Universe as I type, sad day. 

Social source share

I was shocked when I heard this last night.  I put up a tribute post with one of my many favorite songs from Bobby, "Love The Time Is Now".  I think it is a fitting song to be played for him.  Like I said in the blog post, we don't have many left with us and we need to cherish the ones that are still here.

https://raggedy-quitefrankly.blogspot.com/2014/06/rip-bobby-womack-1944-2014.html

Edited by Soultaker
Social source share

Remember seeing him at Southampton Top Rank circa 75/76. About two hundred in. At least over the decades he received the adulation he deserved.

I don't know about the Last Soul Man. He was my first Soul Man.

God Bless Bobby and thank you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Institches

.....Heroes get remembered but legends never die ...... Joined his fellow soulies on the eternal Soul Train...

.....was so excited to be seeing him headlining at the WOMAD festival next month....

.....Home is where your heart is Bobby Womack .....

Social source share

Guest fragiledancer

I think the thunder storm at Glastonbury last night was Bobby 'going out with a bang'.....the world is a sadder place without him. RIP Bobby

Social source share

First I read on here that Bobby had passed ,then I read it was a hoax. Only to find out after searching the media in the U.S.A. that he had actually passed away.

Then it was confirmed on the BBC news that it was true . Very Very sad news. Bobby Womack was an extremely talented singer,songwriter and musician, whilst releasing a shed load of records was responsible for many others which he wrote, one being :- It's all over now, the Rolling Stones a uk No 1.

A huge talent that will be sadly missed.

R.I.P. Bobby

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

I had the good fortune to see bobby and family 30 years ago live at the Apollo in Manchester they were truly amazing live .I,ve  seen a great deal of top artists during my life and believe me when I say Bobby Womack was up there with the best. Your suffering is over know Bobby  it's time to rest in peace in Soul heaven  good night and god bless

mick Lyons.

Social source share

I think we all new this day was coming with bobbys ill health, Absolutely gutted, he still performed like a true professional while he was ill.We were lucky to see him in kings hall Blackburn in June 2011 managed to get him to autograph his autobiography for me which he did with pleasure. Thank you bobby R.I.P. Mart & shaz X

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!