Bobby Womack R.i.p

A truly great artist who led an interesting and often sad life.

What a wonderful legacy he has left us.

Yesterday afternoon I picked up one of his cd's to play in the car. As I got near Lincoln I got stuck in traffic and decided to put Bobby on. I opened the cd case and it was empty. Funny that.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I woke up to this news this morning, and have spent much of the day crying. I'm so very happy I got to see him at Blackburn 3 years ago - it was a night i'll always remember. I had hoped I'd get to see him again sometime soon.

RIP Bobby. Thank you for touching my life the way that you did x

Social source share

Just scanning bbc news homepage just now and this sad news is the number one shared story on there at the time of writing. I think that says it all about how many people loved his music. What an amazing voice and contribution to music history. RIP Bobby.

Social source share

RIP Bobby Womack

So many sides of you - How big was that in the 80's & 90's?

I once put a CD together for one of my mates and he couldn't believe the quality of Bobby Womack's stuff - I said I could do you another one with tunes to spare.

Well done Bobby Womack - Legend!

Edited by billb
Social source share

Guest ukyclub

Rest in peace Womack

A troubled life at times  mate,  some of your troubles were self inflicted, but your voice , your music moved me to tears and I thank you, 

The word legend is used too commonly these days but you were amongst all soul fans exactly that.

RESPECT.

Social source share

Gutted totally gutted. :(

"Just Soul"  Womack nite that was just after the 3 Amigos + 1 had seen him in concert and it seemed that every other or was it every record was a Womack track..........? Totally an unforgettable nite........? If you had planned a soul nite featuring one artist, most people would have said it won't work? Well if you were not there then shame on you,because it was just one of those nites where it worked to a tee.

My thoughts are with the Womack Family, but  Sean,Tatts, Kev, John &  Bully.....we enjoyed his music...but you guys championed it. Respect lads for your love of a true Soul music legend without discussion. 

Rip Mr.Musicman

Dave Halsall. :(

It was a great night Dave.

A celebration of Wo-Magic!

Thank you for reminding me.

24 hours since the sad news was confirmed and I'm still feeling numb.

The many beautifully written and heartfelt, considered, tributes I've read on here and on Facebook today say so much about how important Bobby Womack was to music and to our lives.

Losing him was something that many of us have been braced for, these past 3.5 years, but it still came as a shock and we all feel a great sense of loss.

Thank you Bobby Womack.

You were the greatest.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm up here enjoying my sockeye salmon and wine watching first the unsung episode of Bobby Womack that I have on DVD.  Now I'm watching the DVD of the BET Jazz channel presents Bobby Womack.  If you don't have this DVD, it's worth it to go and purchase it.  Have your favorite wine with you while you watch it, it's a awesome performance, I promise you.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Channel-Presents-Bobby-Womack/dp/B00004Z4VH/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1404006974&sr=1-1&keywords=Bobby+Womack

Social source share

I'm up here enjoying my sockeye salmon and wine watching first the unsung episode of Bobby Womack that I have on DVD.  Now I'm watching the DVD of the BET Jazz channel presents Bobby Womack.  If you don't have this DVD, it's worth it to go and purchase it.  Have your favorite wine with you while you watch it, it's a awesome performance, I promise you.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Channel-Presents-Bobby-Womack/dp/B00004Z4VH/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1404006974&sr=1-1&keywords=Bobby+Womack

After I finish this DVD, I'm going to switch on my turntables and have a marathon of albums and 45's.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

You know what ? Its taken me by surprise at just how much Bobby's passing has affected me. I read it on here when I was working nights and was immediately dumb-struck. I had to leave work [ I know……! ]. A fifty year old man with tears in his eyes isn't a pretty sight but thats life I guess.Its weird because I've never done the whole" fan" thing with anyone at all,particularly someone I didn't even know personally.I think Its becauseI've loved his music for so many years and its meant so much to me on so many levels.I've grown up with it like so many others.

When you stop and think for a minute about his life and achievements,it just puts a lot of things into perspective . Can you imagine a better CV for a Soul artist ? Make that any artist ! He ran away as a kid with his brothers to play as backing band for Sam cooke…..SAM COOKE  no less ! Unbelievable…...

Bobby said that when he heard Sam's "A Change Is Gonna Come" he told him that it sounded scary,that it somehow sounded "Like death"……Sam was shot dead shortly after. Spooky….. Its little stories like that make you realise just what an amazing life he had.

His music is so personal to the listener which is the main reason,I'm sure,why, its affected so many of us just the way it has. There'll certainly never be another Bobby Womack,thats for sure.

Oh….and one more thing. The next time someone plays you some obscure crap record telling you that its the best thing since sliced bread, give it the Womack test…….put it up against Classic Womack and then judge if its as good as they reckon it is. 

I rest my case your honour.

Lets play his music and celebrate the best of the best…...

Were gonna miss you Bobby,

Ivor & Max

Social source share

I have a framed copy of the opening lyrics to Home is where the heart is hanging on the wall.

His music is never far away from me.

This morning, as I was getting some breakfast ready, I pressed the 33RPM button on the turntable and dropped the needle down on "The Poet"

His voice brought a lump to my throat.

A wonderful artist who will never be forgotten.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I just read that BBC news were playing Womack and Womack 'Teardrops' on their reports until yesyerday afternoon.....

Dear oh dear.....

Social source share

Various Dj's played some of Bobby's tunes at Weston Super Mare 'Goin to a happenin'' last nite- the floor was packed as I knew it would be-  totally gutted at the loss of a true Soul Man. He will be missed so much and we have lost a true gem. I know his music will always be kept alive on the scene- we owe so much to you Bobby- R.I.P and God bless you xx

Social source share

Guest topseyturvey

we were on the m40 me and tabs  just had a soul session with bad boy weston and mr rimmer when tabs bling thing on his phone went and the news came through total shock will be playing a few womack classics on my show tuesday nite   wot a great loss to soul music R I P

Social source share

His venue played stuff was fantastic, but to be honest, this is what I played first on hearing the news, I could have picked any from hundreds of ballads which in my opinion brought out the absolute best in the genius that was Bobby Womack

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Very sad news to hear Bobby Womack passed away.  It's always hard to be deeply touched by the death of someone you don't know but had a lump in the throat and tears in the eyes when I saw it on the BBC website Sunday morning.  Would never have described myself as a massive fan but in terms of fantastic tunes and songwriting genius Bobby is hard to beat.

Although not his best track, often when I was getting ready for a big night out in the late 80's I would put "When the Weekend Comes" on the turntable to get in the mood! LEGEND!!

Social source share

An absolute soul genius,a true collossus of the music industry who was so respected by all members of the music industry for his staggering talent and effusive manner.Never Mr I Am,always Mr Congeniality he was a treasure to us all and his life story would make a brilliant film. I must play a couple of his tracks at our event on Friday to mark his passing, just one problem how do I choose from his catalogue?....RIP Bobby we'll all miss you.

Edited by ponty
Social source share

Guest niallcrowley

Very sad news indeed, and I share many of the thoughts and feelings that others have written. He was one of my absolute heroes. I wrote a modest obituary in an online magazine if anyone is interested. I'm sure it won't tell anyone here what they don't already know but I just felt that all of the mainstream tributes were more interested in who he knew and who he'd worked with than in HIS music and I tried to rectify the balance a bit. 

https://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/bobby-womack-the-last-soul-man/15309#.U7RDEBY4_nZ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!