Daptone Super Soul Revue At Glastonbury

Friday pre glasto concert was very high quality. 

Didnt go to Glasto but CB seemed to have them all eating out of his diamante slippers from the TV footage. 

Antibalas were exceptional live. First time seen them. 

Sharon "so bad she kicked cancer's ass" Jones was first class as usual. Maybe the 'bunch clueless c+nts in cricket sweaters" may take notice now and give her a decent deal and help them sell more tunes.

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest john s

I played records on the stage before they came on, and watched most of their set - great stuff, and lovely bunch of people too!

Social source share

I played records on the stage before they came on, and watched most of their set - great stuff, and lovely bunch of people too!

I said to Mrs G "who the f*ck here is playing The Soul Rockers...?" Makes sense now :thumbsup:

Great tunes, John and the Revue was astonishing live. My sets in the Deluxe Diner generally over-ran so I was really relieved that I got to see whole show. We felt like we didn't need to see anything else afterwards We did though, of course)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Absolute highlight for me was 39 minutes in with Charles Bradley's "Lovin' You Baby"

It's a deep soul thing  :yes:

Social source share

The whole session was really pretty nuts.....Mr Stapleton deserves the biggest of propers by warming up the crowd with Earl English and the Apaches 'Trying to make ends meet' etc, before handing over to the Revue.

I think my highlights were the heavens opening when Charles Bradley ripped into 'This world (is going up in flames)'.....and then the sun brightening up the stage when Sharon Jones was in full flow. It was like nature had scripted the light show. Definitely had a moment when the rains came for Mr Bradley....bizarrely appropriate and very moving....for me at any rate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Charles Bradley seems to make a bit of a habit of that, remember being at a free show he played here outdoors in Fort Greene Park, right as he got to the last tearjerker a huge set of black clouds moved in and unleashed a deluge so intense that in the New York Times review the next day the reporter wrote that his music was so deep that by the end "even the heavens were crying".  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Sharon Jones is an absolute force of nature, but seeing Saun and Starr open with Hot Shot really made my hair tingle. That  Sugarman 3 version of Dirty Water was a killer too. No wonder I've had a limp this week :D

Finally seen Sharon Jones & the Dap kings live in Belfast last night. Amazing performance! 5 out of 5! Sounds even better live than on record. A lovely lady full of energy and that only half a year since her cancer treatment. Backing band superb as well.   :)  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Finally seen Sharon Jones & the Dap kings live in Belfast last night. Amazing performance! 5 out of 5! Sounds even better live than on record. A lovely lady full of energy and that only half a year since her cancer treatment. Backing band superb as well.   :)  :thumbsup:

She's an amazing lady ... with a very tight backing band and really gives her all ... Ive seen her twice this year ...

First time at the Roundhouse ..Camden... London  ..and she did a great set ... with a huge encore in which she got about 30 people out of the audience to dance on stage with her .... 

Second time was at Glasto ... and yes it was another great set ... and the crowd loved her .. but it was not a great day ... rain ... but she lifted everyone's spirits  ... and brought a bit of sun to everyone ... If you get a chance ... go see her ... and check out the Daptone label and get to see the Daptone Review  ... its a show and a half ... 10/10    

• Helpful 1
Social source share

She's an amazing lady ... with a very tight backing band and really gives her all ... Ive seen her twice this year ...

First time at the Roundhouse ..Camden... London  ..and she did a great set ... with a huge encore in which she got about 30 people out of the audience to dance on stage with her .... 

Second time was at Glasto ... and yes it was another great set ... and the crowd loved her .. but it was not a great day ... rain ... but she lifted everyone's spirits  ... and brought a bit of sun to everyone ... If you get a chance ... go see her ... and check out the Daptone label and get to see the Daptone Review  ... its a show and a half ... 10/10    

Let's hope her health stays on the positive side so we can enjoy more concerts like this Steve. She was down dancing with us afterwards as well. Impressive amount of positive energy as you say we're still on a high.  Will keep an eye on the tour dates next year hopefully the full Daptone Review comes back as well and tour UK  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I saw her and the band live this week for the third time. As usual, they confirmed my view of them as the finest band out there, bar none. I also enjoy her records/ CDs more than I've enjoyed any new releases for about thirty five years or so. "Making up and Breaking up" and "People don't get what they deserve " from her latest CD are magnificent pieces of music. Lots of people can sing - and Sharon certainly can - but no other act can boast the songwriting ability of Bosco Mann or the constantly superb arrangements on the Dap-Kings' sides.   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!