Uk's Rarest?

• Replies 64
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Before the DB came along, if you were asking what would be the ultimate for UK collectors as far as a released record goes, i..e. not a one off acetate, I'd always say the Billy Harner instrumental, even though it was a custom press.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Before the DB came along, if you were asking what would be the ultimate for UK collectors as far as a released record goes, i..e. not a one off acetate, I'd always say the Billy Harner instrumental, even though it was a custom press.

he did a vocal as well

Social source share

The Darrell Banks London issue would be the rarest if found and verified.That C Jam Blues 45 pops up.I have one on a demo and is in a few beat collections.Its not a very good cover either.

C-Jam Blues is also impossible to sell, I only got £25 for my issue.  I remember Mick buying an LP or 10" acetate of theirs featuring 4 unissued tracks from Brighton record fair, long ago, must have sold it on ebay.

Social source share

I saw one on a sales list for £150 quid!!! Its a very poor cover.The Uk Beat scene is littered with cover versions of US Soul songs when the transition was from rand b to soul.Some odd suprises as well.Most soon moved on to pop psych or blues unless you were a good live band with a solid following..Jimmy James,Geno Washington etc.These bands were big in the suburbs and the north.

Social source share

I saw one on a sales list for £150 quid!!! Its a very poor cover.The Uk Beat scene is littered with cover versions of US Soul songs when the transition was from rand b to soul.Some odd suprises as well.Most soon moved on to pop psych or blues unless you were a good live band with a solid following..Jimmy James,Geno Washington etc.These bands were big in the suburbs and the north.

I do like The Koobas version of "Sweet Music" though..

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I do like The Koobas version of "Sweet Music" though..

I did when I were nobbut a lad...haven't heard it since it was a new release! Must go and find a soundclip!

EDIT...blimey, I'd never connected it to Chris Cerf! I blame it on those little blue sweeties...;-)

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

On 7/14/2014 at 10:58, JulianB said:

I was speaking to George Hunt the other week and he said he had never seen a Barbara Mills issue, so here it is

Can someone open these for me please?

Julian

hi julian, looks really good and rare best g

Social source share

On 7/14/2014 at 10:58, JulianB said:

I was speaking to George Hunt the other week and he said he had never seen a Barbara Mills issue, so here it is

Can someone open these for me please?

Julian

For some reason, I was expecting it to be a black label, even though I should have known better. :rolleyes:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...... I Have been collecting US SOUL that got a UK issue for many years, in 1971 I focused on popular new releases from the BLUES & SOUL CHARTS, also on what B&S described as "it will appeal to those north of Watford"  the Jay By Releases were hard to get from my local record shop, they had to order them in each time, 6 weeks or more to get each copy, in it's own way, living in soul isolation of Letchworth, the Jay Boy records were for me rare.

into 72 my collecting attitude had been totally transformed, thanks to meeting Mick Smith, venues like Up the Junction, the Torch & Bletsoe, gave me a proper insight into rare soul collecting, most of my collection come from second hand junk shops in Herts & Luton + Moors Carlows Redifuson & Selectordisc plus Contempo & Cheap Cheapo, THEM ARE ME ROOTS.

After my over indulgence in the All-Nighters the big goodbye to Northern Soul & North Herts.

5 years later married with 2 kids living in Wolves I re-entered  the scene, and quickly started collecting and selling rare soul, UK finds were more easy to find, but my observations on the UK issued record collecting scene was compared to the never ending finds of the 6ts & 7ts had dried up, and looking back today not much was discovered in them years, the 8ts big ones like Tony Middleton Sue Lynn Ray Merrel Mark Lloyd Soul Joe Clements Cajun Hart were stand alone in the S**t of the new Crossover SCENES?? most top UK collectables are priced very low in comparison to run of the mill US  finds.

The top UK SOUL Sounds for me are still mainly the same records that were discovered as rare soul in the 6ts &7ts top records from EMI Labels PYE & DECCA FONTANA PHILIPS are all rare & collectable,

The Billy Harner inst is the rarest as PETE states, but the classics from POLYDOR CAMEO PARKWAY STATESIDE are still very rare, As are the releases from Jamaica Glen Miller is still the top rarity for the right reasons, Rare 45s from the MOD & beat scene also, however I have picked the John Andres & the Lonely ones as one of the real hard finds in 2014, I'm still a bewilder that Pete Smith sells it below it's proper price :g: still we live and learn, also Mick got a good price for TOM CAT, & TIMI YURO is another top record.

:ohmy: DAVE Kpost-13241-0-25687700-1409892367_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

...hmmn custom press..never knew that..always thought it was a mis press of sorts..and withdrawn..so who was it pressed for/target?

Social source share

Dave,

Are you 100% on the Thing Go Better With Coke being a UK promo?

I've got one somewhere that I picked up in Oslo, and I'm pretty sure it's a Scandinavian release.

That's where I saw my first copy Joe. I think you might be right about it being Scandinavian.

Social source share

It was pressed for Selectadisc in Nottingham, they asked for 300 copies from UK Polydor who distributed Kama Sutra.

What happened to those 300 copies Pete? Last I heard, there were just 6 known copies left.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

...hmmn custom press..never knew that..always thought it was a mis press of sorts..and withdrawn..so who was it pressed for/target?

I had a copy of billy harner and it was a normal press that looked like half the grooves were missing as it only lasted for about 1min 30 sec no other way of knowing it was the inst.

Social source share

I had a copy of billy harner and it was a normal press that looked like half the grooves were missing as it only lasted for about 1min 30 sec no other way of knowing it was the inst.

That's not entirely correct, there are ways of telling the difference between the two, and apart from one little feature, it helps to have the vocal and instrumental side by side to spot the differences. :thumbsup:

Social source share

That's not entirely correct, there are ways of telling the difference between the two, and apart from one little feature, it helps to have the vocal and instrumental side by side to spot the differences. :thumbsup:

I never did put both side by side so that is most likely the case ....cheers

Social source share

What happened to those 300 copies Pete? Last I heard, there were just 6 known copies left.

Selectadisc returned them to Polydor as they were 'faulty' and kept a handful.  Polydor must have ditched the rest at some time because Mick Smith told me he got his from a kid selling records out of a pram at Portobello Market in the late 70's!

Social source share

Selectadisc returned them to Polydor as they were 'faulty' and kept a handful.  Polydor must have ditched the rest at some time because Mick Smith told me he got his from a kid selling records out of a pram at Portobello Market in the late 70's!

Thanks Pete, good to know :thumbsup:

But if they were a 'custom press' for Selectadisc by Polydor, what does that mean? Why didn't Selectadisc just ask Polydor to send them 300 copies of the vocal, which I think was on general release anyway. I realise you might not have all the answers but I can't get my head round this 'custom press' thing?

Social source share

Thanks Pete, good to know :thumbsup:

But if they were a 'custom press' for Selectadisc by Polydor, what does that mean? Why didn't Selectadisc just ask Polydor to send them 300 copies of the vocal, which I think was on general release anyway. I realise you might not have all the answers but I can't get my head round this 'custom press' thing?

Because it had already been released and deleted I think.  You have to watch Ian levine's film, they tell the story behind it on there

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All

This is a true story Pete, sounds far fetched, Mick found this kid with a pile of rubbish 45s, but this was with them, and as he was dumb, not a word of where he got it from! :g: found in West London Dumb, the home of the WHO, death DUMB & blind kid? :thumbsup: I think it was in 75, possibly earlier, I remember when Mick Discovered Loraine Silver "lost Summer Love" in early 73 in the Watford area, but that's another story :ohmy: don't mention Elton :D DAVE K

Social source share

Dave,

Are you 100% on the Thing Go Better With Coke being a UK promo?

I've got one somewhere that I picked up in Oslo, and I'm pretty sure it's a Scandinavian release.

:hatsoff2: Hi Am I sure? well the record has more in common with a UK 45 than a copy from Norway, it looks like a PHILIPS pressing to me, many 45s were pressed by Philips, for advertising, also there are a few different copies of various coke songs (check out YouTube) the Pet Clark is my fave, however the SUPREEMS is what sells this record,

when I put this disc in my random selection of rare UK 45s, posting along with the Lloyd Michaels DEMO, was to make a point on what rare means, against I got a load of cash so I can buy the rarest of the rare, the "FLASHER" is a top record 1st played at the MECCA, sold sheds load, but I think the DEMO is rare, but the value is about £10 to most people, only time will tell,

:thumbsup: DAVE K

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

My 300 count record box, packed full of all sorts of NS dance music, from 1964 to 1980, boots, emi's, some originals, and Demo's. All of the British labels have punched out centres, all are used and lightly scratched, but in nice cardboard sleeves lovingly and carefully labelled in felt tip pen, as I remember, Not been opened for 25 years. This is obviously the Holy Grail. There is definitely a UK issue on Route by Mistura and Derek and Rays - Interplay on RCA in there somewhere. I'll swap for a loft ladder and a roofer to fix my leaking porch.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All.... 1st things 1st, LOFT LADDERS AWAIT FOR THAT BOX<<< PM ME,

I could spend loads of time on this thread, however?

When I got back on the scene 1983 after 5 years away, as I have mentioned the Scene was playing many quality soul sounds, also the UK collecting scene had gone deeper, in fact the top dealers & collectors had mopped up and the shift towards the 7ts releases with that perfect engineered production, up tempo DISCO is what I called it, meanwhile I was playing catch up,

What was handy was the excellent mag the Beating Rhythm?© Pete-Smithpublishing .

so I was aware of "what's hot & what's not" on the  UK Scene. scans of labels & a AtoZ Discography helped, all I had to do was fill in the gaps, but alas I only found about half dozon un discovered records, the best of which is below & as I thought at the time had the right sound, however it was given the thumbs down by Mick, so it has sat on my shelf since then, I still rate it & if you see a copy buy it as it is Rare & Good but should be cheap as it will only appeal to the collector,

on the same label the now very rarest & best. sorry got no sound file of these 2, if anyone could post them up for me?post-13241-0-61260400-1410130454_thumb.j :ohmy: DAVE K 

Social source share

I was joking Dave, my record collection is seriously shit, as is my porch roof.

:hatsoff2: Hi D

So was I! I don't  think I would have been able to get the ladder through that slit in the pillar box,

(that's the 1st time for many years I have call the post box a pillar box?) :( Cheers DAVE K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert