Itv Motown Sunday 9Pm

ITV this Sunday 6th July 2100-2230

The Nations Favourite Motown Song

"A celebration of Motown revealing the stories behind 20 of the legendary label's greatest hits, followed by the results of our poll to discover Britain's favourite Motown song."

I know there was a previous thread when this first came to light, but I can't find it.

So, as it's on this weekend, I thought I'd give it a shout.

:wink: Thought it was gonna be the stories behind the top 20 voted - which would probably be a whole different kettle of fish. Should still be good viewing I reckon.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Write up in Radio Times "It's a popumentary as rewarding as anything you'll see on BBC4. The focus is on the people who made the records you love, and how they did it. Pointless celebs doling out fake memories are absent."

Sounds good enough to me.

Social source share

Wonder if the true 'people who made the music' - the Funks,  will even get a mention?

too true......and the writers, producers, arrangers etc.

Just saw ad for it.....actually saw some photos of HDH and artists .....might be interesting but tracks will be predictable.

Social source share

1. Baby Love - The Supremes 2. My Guy - Mary Wells 3. My Girl - The Temptations 4. Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas 5. The Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles 6. Stop! In The Name Of Love - The Supremes 7. Reach Out, I'll Be There - Four Tops 8. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder 9. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - Four Tops 10. Jimmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas 11. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin 12. My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder 13. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye 14. I Want You Back - Jackson 5 15. War - Edwin Starr 16. The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles 17. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross 18. I'll Be There - Jackson 5 19. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye 20. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - The Temptations

Social source share

1. Baby Love - The Supremes 2. My Guy - Mary Wells 3. My Girl - The Temptations 4. Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas 5. The Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles 6. Stop! In The Name Of Love - The Supremes 7. Reach Out, I'll Be There - Four Tops 8. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder 9. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - Four Tops 10. Jimmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas 11. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin 12. My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder 13. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye 14. I Want You Back - Jackson 5 15. War - Edwin Starr 16. The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles 17. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross 18. I'll Be There - Jackson 5 19. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye 20. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - The Temptations

Is that the stories behind the songs list of 20? or the results of their poll?  The way I read it they are two different lists.

You're probably about right for one or t'other.

Social source share

Is that the stories behind the songs list of 20? or the results of their poll?  The way I read it they are two different lists.

You're probably about right for one or t'other.

A double CD is being issued...with the twenty above on disc 1. So I assume that they are the twenty voted in the poll...maybe not?

Social source share

Half dreading this to be honest.

If you look at the trailer the bloody idiots can't even get the song titles right. Dancing In The Streets? FFS! :dash2:  Like all these ITV 'tributes' or 'an evening with' they are music programmes for people who don't listen to music.

Having said that it's better than p***ing away an hour of primetime TV on a tribute to Gary Barlow or some such.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I know how you feel....let's hope some good info comes out of it and educates the "people who don't listen to music" a little bit.

You know, it's amazing how little Joe Public know about Soul Music./Motown in general.

A good friend of mine, relatively clued up about 'pop' music thought that HDH were 3 members of the 4 Tops. Another , having turned him on to an Ann Peebles track thought it was 'Motown'....i.e. all Black American music was Motown!!

Social source share

Wonder if the true 'people who made the music' - the Funks,  will even get a mention?

I'm glad they did - though it was quite brief Rob.   Dennis Coffey with a few words, on the music and the '67 Detroit riots. 

It's not too bad.  Craig Charles narrating.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

no funk brothers - no motown....simples!...but then we've already had their highly acclaimed award winning documentary and they got their long overdue recognition.....no one can ever take that away from them...they gave us the unique sound of motown without which, the artists would not have had the same dynamic....god bless jamerson, benjamin, white, van dyke, willis, jones, griffith, allen, babbit, messina, hunter, ashford and all those other wonderful contributors who created magic in the snake pit and gave us the soundtrack of our lives. :hatsoff2:  :thumbsup:

Social source share

I stand corrected. That wasn't bad at all. Paul Riser, Dennis Coffey etc ..good enough for me!

Did they use Mr Levine's version of Frank Wilson in part of the music bed instead of the original?...wonder why?

Edited by SoulStu
Social source share

Guest nickw

Bearing in mind that was produced by a commercial tv station catering for the masses in conjunction with Universal who want to sell the CD of the show to the masses, that was pretty good.

Social source share

Was this what was supposed to be the run down or a prediction, if it's the latter it's a bit Morecambe and Wise, all the right tunes but not necessarily in the right order, not a lot unlike my world cup predictions

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Predictable - yes, but also well rounded and enjoyable I thought.

Not at all surprised at the No1 as Heard It Through The Grapevine was undoubtedly THE anthem for a certain stage of my life before I spread my wings. If it was the same for those that voted then I'm surprised that Junior Walker didn't get a mention or even a soundclip. Could have sacrificed Elton John for a few seconds of Jnr.

Soultown Andy - take a chill pill mate. Apart from one "disappointed" (which is by no means slating the programme) I'm failing to spot the negativity in this thread.

Social source share

Wilton Felder played bass on " I want you back"

I was pleasantly surprised on hearing that bit of info

I didn't know that either. That's some bass-line but I never knew the Crusaders were playing on Motown sessions that early. You learn something everyday....

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

T,was mainly late 60,s early 70,s stuff that got aired...average programme really,didn,t expect rarish motown,but yawn factor kicked in.....where were the velvelettes,elgins,isleys ect .........and those  (who are you?) so called celebs,sticking their two pen,th in about it, urgh!!..........mildly interesting for the early footage.

Loved the guy who said  "l basically am a sax player,but they asked if l would play the bass " on  "l want you back".....as if dosn,t everyone play bass?....great!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Very enjoyable. Loved the interviews with many of the unsung hero's. Some great footage, and the music is IMO second to none. Loved Tito talking about the base line in - I Want You Back, especially.

It was basically an 80 minuite advert for an LP on sale from today, but in this case, who cares?

If I could have added one thing, I would have included the story from Standing in the Shadows, where James Jamerson talks about the opening bars of my girl. For a second I thought they were, but it switched to (another interesting story) Smokey talking about David Ruffin's voice.

I'd give it a 9.5/10. It did what it said on the tin. The nations favorite.

Social source share

I thought it was pretty well done.  I thought it was great to hear snippets from musicians like Wilton Felder and Denis Coffey. Would have been nice to hear some recognition for Jack Ashford's tambourine which was all over it! I am also surprised at the absence of the Elgins and thought This Old Heart of Mine would've been a certainty too.

Social source share

Pleased the Funk Brothers got a mention and surprised they worked such long days in the studio creating the backing tunes. I suppose with so many great artists on the books their instrumental services would be in great demand.  When I think most artists with their own group would perhaps create and learn to competently play perhaps 20 tunes per year, the FB's output was amazing in that comparison. The work from HDH was also rightly recognised. 

The one consistent aspect of Motown was the FB's, the artists come and go.

I fear the Isley Brothers didn't get much of a mention is because their Grammy success was outside of Motown. Not necessarily a good selling point for the new Motown release that artists could achieve greater industry recognition outside of their label.

Social source share

Guest micksoul

To be fair it did mention the snakepit and acknowledged the Funk brothers and played a soundbite of The Isley Bros track that used What becomes of the broken hearted tune ... I enjoyed it

Social source share

Enjoyed the programme.
Not complaining at all, just would like to ask a question for info purposes - Did anyone on here vote in this "nations favourite" vote? Was it a list of pre-chosen titles and you had to pick one, or could you say what you liked?
One surprised me by it's omission -  I honestly thought that they would have included "Needle In A Haystack", surely it's got to be the most played Motown track ever in the UK ?
For the last 40+ years it's been played at just about every wedding/anniversary party/etc when the party DJ says "and now some Motown", so i reckon if FW is overplayed on our scene by comparison NIAH has probably clocked up 1000 plays for every one of DILY :D

Social source share

Guest scottie

once got slaughtered for saying diana ross was the third best singer in the supremes a point that in a roundabout way was reiterated last night .vindicated at last.heehee

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

once got slaughtered for saying diana ross was the third best singer in the supremes a point that in a roundabout way was reiterated last night .vindicated at last.heehee

You and Suzi Quatro should get a room  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The title of the show was the nations favourite Motown songs. Who did they ask ? When did they ask them ? Or did they just ask the people that where on the show for there opinions ?

Steve

They canvased all the weddings in the last 2 years :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Pleased the Funk Brothers got a mention and surprised they worked such long days in the studio creating the backing tunes. I suppose with so many great artists on the books their instrumental services would be in great demand.  When I think most artists with their own group would perhaps create and learn to competently play perhaps 20 tunes per year, the FB's output was amazing in that comparison. The work from HDH was also rightly recognised. 

The one consistent aspect of Motown was the FB's, the artists come and go.

I fear the Isley Brothers didn't get much of a mention is because their Grammy success was outside of Motown. Not necessarily a good selling point for the new Motown release that artists could achieve greater industry recognition outside of their label.

Thought they might of mentioned  PAM SAWYER.....as theres a british connection

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!